Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 06:24 AM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Do you have to keep renewing "memberships?" Or is it good for only "one shot?"

Can I get into the Bronx Zoo and the NY Aquarium for free?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
one shot . i believe it covers only a basic membership at the bronx zoo , no tram , shuttle , congo , no parking , etc and no aquarium i believe but double check that
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I used it for its memberships to cultural institutions, and perks from those memberships, and then that membership also came with special membership renewal rates which I also used.

Other than that, the only time I've used it is once for a bar out of state and as a library card as I had it linked to my account (good for New York, Brooklyn, and Queens library systems). Supposedly there are other things it's good for, but never had it come into play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
One thing to keep in mind is that the roster of cultural institution benefits change every year and you can get those benefits for that year even if that wasn't the year you received your card.
As stated above after the one year membership at the various cultural institutions expired one is offered a reduced/discounted rate to renew one's membership.

The Bronx Zoo membership includes all the zoos in the city (Central Park, Queens and Prospect Park Zoos although I never used it for those zoos) but one has to get the membership at the Bronx Zoo.

Also each year the list of cultural institutions offering free memberships changes slightly. So sometimes there is a new institution offering a free membership wasn't on the list prior that could be of interest.

The only time I used the NYC ID outside of NYC was one year on July 4th to get into a park out in Long Island for free as they were only allowing local residents in and they accepted my NYC ID as a local resident card!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 07:02 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
Great so another waste of money by the city of NY.
Aren’t you the scratch-off guy?

Old 07-14-2018, 08:26 AM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
It’s a garbage ID for illegals and legal young people who want to get into museums, etc for free for a year. *Delivers pizza to a military base. Shows NYC ID to security. Gets deported*
Yeah. I remember at the time when they were pushing this, they stressed it didn't mean that you were safe from deportation if you didn't have proper documentation just because you had that ID. Having that card alone didn't imply immediate legitimation. I guess that's why banks & stores give you a hard time when that's your only form of ID. I learned the hard way. I couldn't get my wine!

Old 07-14-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
What does that do for you? Library Card comes with a key fob. Who needs another ersatz "library card?"
Well, all my library cards have expired so I'm hoping linking them to my current NYC ID will revive it somehow. We shall see.

Old 07-14-2018, 10:24 AM

133 posts, read 130,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Well, all my library cards have expired so I'm hoping linking them to my current NYC ID will revive it somehow. We shall see.
Yup, you can have it attached to your NYPL account. As long as the address is still current on the IDNYC they will accept it. NYPL does not normally replace IDNYC cards if you lose them, except maybe Bronx Library Center since they do issue the ids there.

Old 07-14-2018, 10:32 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NycLaidBack View Post
No, I mean undocumented immigrants.

Are you that bored?

I think you mean illegal aliens. Cause that's what they are.

Old 07-14-2018, 11:30 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
What does that do for you? Library Card comes with a key fob. Who needs another ersatz "library card?"

Thanx for your opinions, guys.
Kind of surprised you weren't already on it given the benefits since you seem to like a deal (free is a hell of a deal). I half-expected you to have figured out a way to get discount lobster with this.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:02 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
I don't have one yet, but I intend to - just to avoid showing other ID. I ran into someone who says he uses his for museums.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I don't have one yet, but I intend to - just to avoid showing other ID. I ran into someone who says he uses his for museums.
That's why I originally got mine. So, I didn't have to carry my drivers license or passport but it turns out I still need to carry at least one of these.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:20 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
So if I ride up to the Bronx Zoo with my NYC ID and apply for a free year's zoo membership, can I get into the zoo right then, or do I have to haul ass home and go another day.

(For me, the Bronx Zoo is a walk, a subway and a Bus...more than an hour each way. So I'd at least like to see a couple animals.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City