Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 10:57 AM

76 posts, read 38,186 times

Advertisements

I was recently selected to view an apartment and sign a lease for an Affordable Housing apartment. It was a done deal. They told me to have first month rent money order and a security deposit money order. I had the apartment.

I had an appointment for viewing at 3pm and then lease signing after viewing. I get a call from the intake people at 2pm stating that someone with a lower log number on the list appealed his/her rejection. It appears that this apartment is literally the last apartment available and that if the appeal is successful, I will be placed on a waiting list, being first on said waiting list.
  1. Do I have any recourse?
  2. What would they had done if I had signed the lease and then they received the appeal five minutes after I signed the lease?
  3. I have heard that the apartment is essentially "frozen" until the appeal is heard and a decision is made. If true, if his/her appeal is denied can I view and sign the lease five minutes after the denial and then "lock in" my apartment and if he/she appeals to HPD (i.e., second appeal) and that appeal is eventually successful would he/she be the one placed on the waiting list since I have a signed lease?
  4. Lastly, with the fact that I would have no idea why this person was rejected, how often are first-level appeals successful? My understanding is that the initial appeal must be lodged within ten business days (that timeline was apparently met) and the appeal goes to the same people that rejected the applicant in the first place (the intake people a/k/a the management company) and not to HPD.
Any and all input is appreciated.

Last edited by NeedsAnApartment; 07-13-2018 at 11:04 AM.. Reason: better info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 12:30 PM

Anyone???

Old 07-13-2018, 12:36 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
Its never a done deal until your lease is signed and you have the keys in your hand.

Old 07-13-2018, 12:40 PM

I am aware of this.

There are questions I asked in my post (above). Those are the questions that I was hoping someone would reply to and provide accurate information.

Old 07-13-2018, 12:44 PM

133 posts, read 130,391 times
I thought they had one appeal from the developers and if that fails than that person could appeal with HPD. Maybe they waited until the last day to make the appeal? And I thought they held that apartment until either that person gets the appeal approved or completely denied in order for the next person to be called. Sorry I'm not really answering your questions. BTW: I hope you get the apartment in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedsAnApartment View Post
I was recently selected to view an apartment and sign a lease for an Affordable Housing apartment. It was a done deal. They told me to have first month rent money order and a security deposit money order. I had the apartment.

I had an appointment for viewing at 3pm and then lease signing after viewing. I get a call from the intake people at 2pm stating that someone with a lower log number on the list appealed his/her rejection. It appears that this apartment is literally the last apartment available and that if the appeal is successful, I will be placed on a waiting list, being first on said waiting list.
  1. Do I have any recourse?
  2. What would they had done if I had signed the lease and then they received the appeal five minutes after I signed the lease?
  3. I have heard that the apartment is essentially "frozen" until the appeal is heard and a decision is made. If true, if his/her appeal is denied can I view and sign the lease five minutes after the denial and then "lock in" my apartment and if he/she appeals to HPD (i.e., second appeal) and that appeal is eventually successful would he/she be the one placed on the waiting list since I have a signed lease?
  4. Lastly, with the fact that I would have no idea why this person was rejected, how often are first-level appeals successful? My understanding is that the initial appeal must be lodged within ten business days (that timeline was apparently met) and the appeal goes to the same people that rejected the applicant in the first place (the intake people a/k/a the management company) and not to HPD.
Any and all input is appreciated.

Old 07-13-2018, 12:51 PM

Yes I agree with what you said. They should have waited until the appeal period had elapsed and then offered me the apartment. I think these buildings are so desperate to get someone in there paying rent as soon as possible that they just offer the apartment to the next eligible person on the list even if the rejected applicant still has time to appeal.

Does anyone know how often first appeals (the appeal with the developer) are successful?

I also read that if the first appeal (the appeal with the developer) is rejected that they can offer the apartment to the next person on the list even though the rejected applicant can lodge a second appeal to HPD within five days. No clue if that's true. If anyone knows, I'd appreciate a response.

And thanks. I hope I get the apartment also! Lol

Last edited by NeedsAnApartment; 07-13-2018 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: Adding text

Old 07-13-2018, 12:57 PM

133 posts, read 130,391 times
Reach out to HDC maybe you'll get lucky and get a real person to answer your question. Hmm I thought the appeal with city was 10 days but I'm probably wrong. Strange they want to rush people at times but drag their feet to acknowledge people qualify for the apartments.

Quote:
Yes I agree with what you said. They should have waited until the appeal period had elapsed and then offered me the apartment. I think these buildings are so desperate to get someone in there paying rent as soon as possible that they just offer the apartment to the next eligible person on the list even if the rejected applicant still has time to appeal.

Does anyone know how often first appeals (the appeal with the developer) are successful?

I also read that if the first appeal (the appeal with the developer) is rejected that they can offer the apartment to the next person on the list even though the rejected applicant can lodge a second appeal to HPD within five days. No clue if that's true. If anyone knows, I'd appreciate a response.

And thanks. I hope I get the apartment also! Lol

Old 07-13-2018, 01:03 PM

The developer said that the appeal should be resolved in two to three weeks. They have been pretty professional and I am hoping they know what they're talking about.

If it is resolved in two to three weeks, and the applicant is rejected, I'm going to insist on a viewing and lease signing immediately; like an hour after they tell me that person's appeal was (hopefully) denied. Once I sign and have the keys, I really don't see how they can nullify the lease and give the apartment to the person who was rejected even if he/she appeals to HPD and wins at some later time.

Again, any and all input on any of the questions I posed in my original post are welcome. If you know something, say something! Lol

Old 07-13-2018, 01:06 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
Quote:
There are questions I asked in my post (above). Those are the questions that I was hoping someone would reply to and provide accurate information.
These questions can't really be answered. There are no set hard rules. Every building, every company that handles it is different. Every situation someone has gone through is different.
I think your looking for a comfort answer to tell you it will be ok, they will get denied and you will get the apartment but no one knows what happens. You just have to ride the ride till it ends. Hopefully it ends in your favor.

Old 07-13-2018, 01:15 PM

I am actually looking for answers to my questions from someone that might know. Would I want the answers to be "comfort answers"? Obviously. But in actuality I'm looking for someone who might know the answers to my questions 2, 3, and 4. I obviously have no "recourse" (Question 1) except sit and wait and hope this person is rejected on appeal.

If anyone has the answers or any input on Questions 2, 3, and 4, please opine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: