Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2018, 10:23 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,578,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
No they dont.
Speak! I just posted the same thing. I travel domestically a lot; sometimes working in 3+ states a year and you're absolutely right! Outside of NYC metro, it's a different world in the rest of the country.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Outside of the NYC, Miami Orlando, maybe Houston, LA I doubt it. Heck can the average American discern the accents between a Trinidanian and a Jamaican in English ? Travel around the US a little. Infact, lots of Americans dont even know Puerto Ricans are US citizens.
Right again!

Old 07-20-2018, 10:49 PM

Default Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Lay off of the racist rhetoric, as if only white people can be racist. You say a lot of ignorant things too. You don't get a pass because you're black.
Thank you! Excellent post.

Old 07-21-2018, 03:08 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Outside of the NYC, Miami Orlando, maybe Houston, LA I doubt it. Heck can the average American discern the accents between a Trinidanian and a Jamaican in English ? Travel around the US a little. Infact, lots of Americans dont even know Puerto Ricans are US citizens.
Sad but true.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:49 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Harrypothead is right, the typical American (Blacks, Whites), they can NOT tell people from Spanish speaking countries/islands apart. They'll see Mexicans, PR, DR, Cubans, Latin Americans and assume they're all Mexicans, basically. The only areas where this is not typical of Americans is in NYC/NJ metro area and Miami (large Cuban population) - you'll have more people who know there are differences between those groups.
Completely not true. Many Dominicans are outright Black and simply cannot be confused with Mexicans, PERIOD.

Though many Cubans on the island of Cuba are Black, the first huge wave of Cubans coming to America were white. Black Cubans came later. No one is confusing a white or a Black Cuban with a Mexican.

Argentines are very European, and do not look like Mexicans either.

I can go one, but you don't have to be familiar with Latin America to notice huge racial differences or racial demographics.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Thank you! Excellent post.
Yet he was never able to point out what I said that was bigoted.

Old 07-21-2018, 02:02 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,596,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Completely not true. Many Dominicans are outright Black and simply cannot be confused with Mexicans, PERIOD.

Though many Cubans on the island of Cuba are Black, the first huge wave of Cubans coming to America were white. Black Cubans came later. No one is confusing a white or a Black Cuban with a Mexican.

Argentines are very European, and do not look like Mexicans either.

I can go one, but you don't have to be familiar with Latin America to notice huge racial differences or racial demographics.
You could go on further, but I wish you wouldn't.

Old 07-21-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
You could go on further, but I wish you wouldn't.
The average Dominican does not look like the average Mexican. The average Argentine does not look like the average Puerto Rican.

To even claim that there are no racial demographic differences in Latin American is extremely dishonest.

Old 07-21-2018, 02:27 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,596,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The average Dominican does not look like the average Mexican. The average Argentine does not look like the average Puerto Rican.

To even claim that there are no racial demographic differences in Latin American is extremely dishonest.
Sometimes you get into a mood to overstate what others say to argue your points. Ignorant people in the US say and do ignorant things and I don't know why I wouldl spend time trying to explain why the do it. I never said there are no diferences among Latin American nations. So saying I stated that is dishonest. What I have argued over and over is that each nation is unique but overlap exists everywhere. You even agreed with me previously that generalizing is easy. Unless when you do it right bro ??? I find you among the most overly argumentative people here because you can agree with a person 99 percent of the time and you will get so argumentative over 1 perecent of the topic. So since you said I was dishonest, I respond honestly I find you very annoying and not all together informative

Old 07-22-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Sometimes you get into a mood to overstate what others say to argue your points. Ignorant people in the US say and do ignorant things and I don't know why I wouldl spend time trying to explain why the do it. I never said there are no diferences among Latin American nations. So saying I stated that is dishonest. What I have argued over and over is that each nation is unique but overlap exists everywhere. You even agreed with me previously that generalizing is easy. Unless when you do it right bro ??? I find you among the most overly argumentative people here because you can agree with a person 99 percent of the time and you will get so argumentative over 1 perecent of the topic. So since you said I was dishonest, I respond honestly I find you very annoying and not all together informative
And you've overly defensive.

There is little overlap between Dominicans and Mexicans. That's just the way it is.

And yes, one does not need to be an expert in Latin America to notice this.

I'm not being argumentative. You're the one who took offense to my statements.

When I spoke about generalization, I did say that if someone meets a random Black person speaking Spanish, one should not assume that Black person is Dominican because you have Blacks in all Spanish speaking countries (though some have very few Black, and some have many).

With that said, can anyone mistake the AVERAGE Mexican for the AVERAGE Dominican? No. Can anyone mistake the AVERAGE Dominican for the average ARGENTINE? No.

Those racial differences even lead to cultural differences. The music, the language, and the food of places with lots of people of African descent have various African influences.

Regions with lots of Native people will have more Native cultural influences, in a variety of ways.

It doesn't take that much to be about to distinguish between different groups of Hispanics, ESPECIALLY the ones that are obviously more BLACK.

Btw, I don't post on here for your approval. So your feelings toward me are completely irrelevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City