Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 04:29 PM

2,969 posts, read 1,154,203 times

Advertisements

Mr.softee!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 05:02 PM

37,025 posts, read 39,094,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
what about il laboratorio del gelato, 188 Ludlow ?
I prefer it to grom

Old 07-16-2018, 08:16 PM
mym

706 posts, read 1,167,729 times
Remember the Italian Icees yo remember the Italian Icees. the Spanish [cats] comin' down with the coconut icees and [stuff]

Old 07-16-2018, 08:21 PM

7,644 posts, read 6,445,620 times
grom sucks

The gelato shop in eatley so far is best gelato in Manhattan.

Capogiroin philly has the best gelato in the tri-state area

Old 07-17-2018, 07:02 AM

965 posts, read 1,109,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Anyone try Morgenstern’s? Most ice cream is too sweet for me, but I heard good things about this place.
Yes! I tried their signature black ice cream (derived from coconut ash), and it was actually very good, and not overly sweet. Flavor profile on point, and also makes for a good "living my best life" post.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:42 AM

1,405 posts, read 2,019,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
what about il laboratorio del gelato, 188 Ludlow ?
Love Il Laboratorio, that is my gelato pick in this city, priced pretty reasonably too for gelato.

Ice cream - will never refuse it but Ample Hills tends to be a bit heavy and sugary. Van Leeuwen is good but overpriced. I do like Oddfellows (their Buttermilk Honey Blueberry is probably my favorite of all ice cream), Morgenstern's, and Sundaes and Cones is pretty good too. Ice & Vice and Milk Made Tasting Room both make excellent ice cream but you have to go out of your way for them as both are quite off the beaten path

Old 07-17-2018, 11:27 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,740,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
Mr.softee!!
Hey, when you leave the Mr. Softee service area, like I did, you miss that janky truck with his crack music.

Old 07-17-2018, 01:52 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,702,721 times
There is an interesting frozen ice-crem like desert at a shop on s: 120 Macdougal St, north of Bleecker. It's expensive around $6.75 for a cup

Mike & Dave's

non-dairy soft-serve ( thick density though) made of fruit with mix ins

https://mikeanddaveeats.com/current-menu/

"base from a variety of choices such as banana, cherry, strawberry, blueberry or peanut butter (pb) which is made with a powdered peanut butter (PB2 brand). Finally, you choose your mix-ins which vary in category from chocolate, crunch, sweet, nuts, fruit, salty, protein and seed/spice.
Optimum Nutrition Whey and Orgain"

Old 07-17-2018, 02:03 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,702,721 times
Halo is the rage, we know the flavor is sos so but you can eat a whole pint at 280-360 calories

They achieve this with vegetable gums

Normally over $6 a pint Fairway recently had it on for sale for $3.99

Guar gum (also sometimes called gellan gum) is a common powdered product used to stabilize, emulsify and thicken the texture of certain foods and industrial products — such as bottled coconut or almond milk, yogurts, soups, fiber supplements, and body lotions. There are numerous uses for guar gum spanning several industries, and today it’s estimated that food-industry applications account for the vast majority (more than 70 percent) of the world’s supply of guar gum.

Considered to be a type of galactomannan, guar gum is produced in a similar manner to other natural seed gums that are created by milling the endosperm (seeds) of legumes or grains. While guar gum doesn’t necessarily provide many essential nutrients, it’s low in calories and high in fiber, which may help you feel fuller after eating. On the other hand, like other emulsifiers added to many processed foods, consuming guar gum may come with potential drawbacks, such as causing digestive issues and even triggering leaky gut reactions. It’s certainly not something you’d choose to purposefully consume a lot of, but in moderation it seems to be a better choice than other options.

There's also a supermarket brand of regular ice cream at Gristedes. Only a few traditional flavors available
La Salle is the name and $3.99 is printed on the label
They have been around a long time, the quality is fairly good, not Baskin Robbins crap

Old 07-17-2018, 02:06 PM

582 posts, read 761,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrypothead View Post
While technically gelato, GROM is the best.

Ample Hills is good if you're into insanely rich and diabetic-coma inducing ice cream
This! I was about to recommend Grom. It is a good place to buy an ice cream. I can't say it is the best in the city because obviously I haven't tried all of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: