Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 04:50 PM

782 posts, read 527,368 times

Advertisements

Wait, are people suggesting that SNAP recepients should take the subway to upscale areas and shop at Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 05:02 PM

2,983 posts, read 1,166,554 times
I really miss the korean fruit and vegetable stores some things were a little pricey but they were very fresh!

Old 07-16-2018, 05:14 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
I passed up the $5 carton of blueberries at the greenmarket yesterday because I knew I wouldn't feel right eating a $5 carton, like I'd be mad if I found one that was a little squished or something. I went to the local fruit and veggie place today and bought the same amount for $1.50. Crisp and juicy. And I saved $3.50.

What I did buy from the greenmarket was corn, which IMO should be as fresh-picked as possible, and I also bought apples from the orchard. Grocery store apples don't cut it.

But besides a few specialty items, I think similar produce can be purchased at local stores much more cheaply than at the greenmarket.

It would be nice if they didn't have this problem with the technology for SNAP, but I don't know if it's really a deal-breaker in terms of whether people can eat healthily or not.

Old 07-16-2018, 05:18 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
I really miss the korean fruit and vegetable stores some things were a little pricey but they were very fresh!
They're no longer there. Where have they all gone to. What's in their place?

Old 07-16-2018, 08:12 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
First Avenue and 92nd St. Greenmarket, in front of the Isaac Houses and Holmes Projects was selling tomatoes for $9 a pound.

Even pierrepont isn't foolish enough to pay that.
Damn. People who will pay that for a tomato deserve to be ripped off.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:20 PM

105 posts, read 90,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I passed up the $5 carton of blueberries at the greenmarket yesterday because I knew I wouldn't feel right eating a $5 carton, like I'd be mad if I found one that was a little squished or something. I went to the local fruit and veggie place today and bought the same amount for $1.50. Crisp and juicy. And I saved $3.50.

What I did buy from the greenmarket was corn, which IMO should be as fresh-picked as possible, and I also bought apples from the orchard. Grocery store apples don't cut it.

But besides a few specialty items, I think similar produce can be purchased at local stores much more cheaply than at the greenmarket.

It would be nice if they didn't have this problem with the technology for SNAP, but I don't know if it's really a deal-breaker in terms of wheth,er people can eat healthily or not.
You've hit the main point of this discussion. OP is trying to paint a picture where the poor are actively being denied fresh fruits and vegetables when the reality is, as another described, it's just a train ride away. Plenty of people, including SNAP recipients, travel to get the food they want everyday.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:13 PM

782 posts, read 527,368 times
It’s not just a NYC issue but rather nationwide. And it depends on the neighborhood whether this might be an obstacle in terms of access to fresh fruits and vegetables. In a working class/immigrant neighborhood, probably not a big deal. There are usually plenty of other local options. Poor neighborhoods? Maybe it will be an issue. The local markets may not be well stocked and presumably low income folks, especially those with young kids, have less time to run around town in search of higher quality food.

I think another thing to consider is the potential impact on Greenmarket vendor revenues. And would certain markets (those in low income neighborhoods) even exist if SNAP payments were not accepted?

Anyway, I was trying to find a better article on the issue and here’s one that contains some interesting data points for NYC. http://www.grubstreet.com/2018/07/ny...-overhaul.html

-About 1.7 million NYC residents are on SNAP.
-Roughly 20,000 individual SNAP recepients shop at GrowNYC markets (50 sites overall) for a total of 60,000 transactions a year and $1 million spent on fresh food.
-SNAP users get a bonus of $2 for every $5 they spend at these markets. This 40% incentive can only be used on fruits and vegetables. Roughly $400k was redeemed last year.
-Roughly 1/3 of all SNAP redemptions happened at the Union Square market, probably because it is the most accessible.
-Not included in the above figures are an additional 30 sites (Youthmarkets and distribution sites for GrowNYC’s Fresh Food Boxes that serve underserved neighborhoods).

Last edited by MC305; 07-16-2018 at 09:35 PM..

Old 07-16-2018, 09:15 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Can't the poor just go to the grocery-store and buy their fruits and veggies?

Old 07-17-2018, 08:37 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
SNAP Recipients Might Be Shut Out Of Farmers Markets Soon: Gothamist

Apparently, this is not a result of federal government policy change as it is straight federal government corruption and ineptitude.

Old 07-17-2018, 01:39 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
$9??? LMAO... I pay $3.99 for a container of organic cherry tomatoes "Made in USA" from Whole Foods. Always local...

Even in January...that's when you know someone is pissing on your shoe and calling it rain.

Nothing like that mid-Winter LOCAL produce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City