Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 09:22 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,930,768 times

Advertisements

So apparently a new program has been launched for homeowners in ENY & Cypress Hills for them to convert their basement apartments and cellars into apartments so they can be rented:

De Blasio Administration Launches Pilot Basement Conversion Program in East New York; Legislation Proposed to Modify Building Code Standards for Area

Pilot Program to Legalize Some Basement Homes Takes Shape in E. New York

Homeowners must apply for the basement conversion pilot program through a community-based organization which will be selected by HPD. The community based organization will then help the homeowner apply for financing through another HPD program, which will provide a forgivable, low-interest loan–a mechanism due to launch in the coming months, according to HPD. The de Blasio administration estimates that if the program is successful it could create and/or preserve 5,000 more apartments citywide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 04:24 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayLove View Post
So apparently a new program has been launched for homeowners in ENY & Cypress Hills for them to convert their basement apartments and cellars into apartments so they can be rented:

De Blasio Administration Launches Pilot Basement Conversion Program in East New York; Legislation Proposed to Modify Building Code Standards for Area

Pilot Program to Legalize Some Basement Homes Takes Shape in E. New York

Homeowners must apply for the basement conversion pilot program through a community-based organization which will be selected by HPD. The community based organization will then help the homeowner apply for financing through another HPD program, which will provide a forgivable, low-interest loan–a mechanism due to launch in the coming months, according to HPD. The de Blasio administration estimates that if the program is successful it could create and/or preserve 5,000 more apartments citywide.

This egit is at it again!

Not only is the city handing out money *again* (low interest loans), they are "forgivable". Meaning deadbeats aren't on the hook for repaying, but guess who will be if they don't?

Someone get me a flatbed and some rope!

Old 08-09-2018, 06:33 AM

42 posts, read 48,500 times
I actually think that this is a good idea. Not the "forgivable" part, just the low-interest part. Basement apartments are legal in other states. It gives homeowners an opportunity to earn some extra income while providing the housing market with affordable apartments.
I'm in Woodhaven right next to Cypress Hills. Too bad that I can't participate in this program. But if the program is successful and basement apartments become legal, I'd definitely finish my basement. I'd finish it really nicely because it's my house and I'd want to get a quality tenant.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:22 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,093,283 times
This will last until the first fire that traps and toasts a family of 5.

Old 08-10-2018, 07:42 AM

16,088 posts, read 6,860,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
This will last until the first fire that traps and toasts a family of 5.

and some how the middle class homeowners that don't catch this break will get blamed. and pay for it in the end....

This is discriminatory to Manhattan,Bronx,Queens and Staten Island
Homeowners by all means and its the city that is perpetuating this criminal behavior.
Why don't the city just lift the cellar/basement apartment laws altogether !

Old 08-10-2018, 09:47 AM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Basements were, and still are considered habitable space by the Department of Buildings.

Basement apartments were always legal.

The legal definition of a basement is a space within a residential building where 50% or more of the height from floor to ceiling is above curb level.

Cellar apartments are illegal.

The legal definition of a cellar is a space within a residential building where 50% or more of the height from floor to ceiling is below curb level.

Just replace the "4 feet" with "50%"

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-10-2018, 10:29 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,501,659 times
Basements are not healthy for anyone to live in...

I had a friend who lived in one with her son..her son was always getting sick. When she took her son to the doctor, the doctor said get that kid out of the basement apartment.

I lived in an apartment that was three steps down so kind of a sub-basement, and it was gross...depressing. damp all the time and just not fit to live in.

Old 08-10-2018, 10:57 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,618,483 times
Basements apartments are depressing, prone to flooding in my belief, and have the same issues inherit with 1st floor apartments (less privacy, more likely to be broken into, etc.), but they're cheaper and everyone needs (or at least should need, rip homeless issues) shelter.

I'm indifferent since I don't live where this is being implemented (thank god, those neighborhoods are terrible) but I do worry about my taxes if policies like this hold during rough times. I didn't vote this mayor in.

Old 08-10-2018, 12:05 PM

16,088 posts, read 6,860,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Basements were, and still are considered habitable space by the Department of Buildings.

Basement apartments were always legal.

The legal definition of a basement is a space within a residential building where 50% or more of the height from floor to ceiling is above curb level.

Cellar apartments are illegal.

The legal definition of a cellar is a space within a residential building where 50% or more of the height from floor to ceiling is below curb level.

Just replace the "4 feet" with "50%"

Right you are. I have seen cellars that would meet the "basement code" but just fell
short in footage and have seen basements that are legal with only one point of entry/exit
Point I'm trying to make is if DiBlaahzio wants
to help turn illegal basements into legal basements " so as to open up more housing " than the same rights should
be extended to all the other neighborhoods. Take it a step further and let the same help be available for cellars.
Have the city make all areas below ground qualify as apartments for the sole purpose of assisting the city with its
housing problem as long as they can help to meet the criteria the city demands other than ceiling height governing safety.
For example; All cellars and basements to have co2 monitoring as well as radon monitoring,fire extinguishers,
multiple points of immediate exit and entry...etc.
Let's face it. Everybody knows somebody that has had an apartment below ground level period rented or not.
Some landlords live in cellars/basements and rent out the legal portion of their home to make ends meet.
Illegal? Cellars yes. Basement without permits? Yes,but it continues today.
It's been going on for years. Those people are still alive ,many still living in the same place.
Some cellars and basements are more livable than the average apartment.
Department of building can be denied entry without a search warrant. Complaints are useless unless backed by
substantial undeniable proof and then it still may not be enough.
Section H use to be only for the projects then expanded to homes and now will eventually expand to basements
followed by cellars. If the mayor wants to save the city money by not building more affordable housing by passing the
workload to the tax payer than let it be fair,across the board and available to everyone.

Old 08-10-2018, 04:39 PM

18,478 posts, read 31,656,752 times
people are not meant to live in basements. period and end of it.
besides, who would want to live in a basement, I know id rather walk up the 6th floor, than live in a basement...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: