Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 04:04 AM

16 posts, read 116,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbro View Post
Thanks, Henna. I was trying to think of the name of Property Shark, and you got it!

It does not list 280 West 34th St. as a valid address. I think CONNYC was given a bogus address, intentionally or not, or perhaps wrote it down wrong. This definitely requires a double-check.
Thanks guys for your help. I think I was given a bogus address and was in the process of being scammed. This is the story im coming from the UK and obviously need a place to rent for 2-3 months in October so I registered on this website to seek a roommate, anyway someone got in touch and said they would hold the apartment open for me for October but I would need to send the deposit of $800 via moneygram but later asked for $1600. But thanks to you guys who mentioned that address was not showing up. I told the person I would not be taking the apartment after all. Which funnily enough the person never wrote back..
Thanks again guys. Truely appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 04:22 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CONNYC View Post
Thanks guys for your help. I think I was given a bogus address and was in the process of being scammed. This is the story im coming from the UK and obviously need a place to rent for 2-3 months in October so I registered on this website to seek a roommate, anyway someone got in touch and said they would hold the apartment open for me for October but I would need to send the deposit of $800 via moneygram but later asked for $1600. But thanks to you guys who mentioned that address was not showing up. I told the person I would not be taking the apartment after all. Which funnily enough the person never wrote back..
Thanks again guys. Truely appreciated.
Be careful out there.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:26 PM

757 posts, read 3,362,982 times
You might want to register for a free membership at Property Shark so you can check addresses yourself. With a free membership, you can check up to six addresses a day. Also gives you a sense of the building and, in many cases, photos. Unfortunately, you have to be a paying subscriber to get the high-res pix.

Good luck, and I'm glad you learned your lesson before you got scammed!

Old 05-24-2008, 01:27 PM

30 posts, read 139,877 times
Default Thanks for the heads up

I'm glad you all had this discussion. I too was contacted on a roommate site about a shared apartment at this address, and I thought it was too good to be true. I too am moving to NYC from London, but last time I was there I thought W34th at 7th and 8th was full of shops, pretty sure I ate at Wendy's there.
Unfortunately I emailed and THEN Googled, and this was the only result. At least I now know not to have anything more to do with it as it looks like a scam.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:26 AM

1 posts, read 773 times
Oh my god! I was just about to sign a contract but googeld the adress first and this is what I foun!! This can't be true. Everything looked so real since the girl renting the apartment send me a copy of her passport and stuff like this....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City