Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 06:41 AM

25,368 posts, read 36,956,293 times

Advertisements

These are not NYCHA buildings they are talking about but rather a pile of private or quasi-private buildings that wound up heavily indebted to the City and State for taxes and mortgage arrears. The City hates taking buildings like these in foreclosure and is looking for ways to preserve them as affordable housing.

To me it seems like a replay of the desperate recessions of the 1970's that saw many buildings fall into debt to the City, get taken over and be absorbed into the Mitchell Lama program.

I hope the City doesn't go the same route and hand these buildings to the Kushners, Trumps, Zeckendorfs to torture the tenants and eventually privatize to market rents, a fate seen by many Mitchell Lama RENTALS.

Wakanda, good point in your first sentence.
Any Co-op that falls far behind in its payments to the City should have its board fired and a City appointed administrator appointed. If mailtenance must be increased to play catch up, then so be it. The City must act when the bills are in the$ hundreds of thousands and not wait until they reach the $Millions. It is easier to bite a bullet than a cannonball.

THe City, the State, like the MTA always wait until the problems get out of hand before they take effective action.

Last edited by Kefir King; 07-19-2018 at 06:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 07:27 AM

33,878 posts, read 47,070,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
My theory is the politicians would lose a large chunk of their voter base if NYCHA simply gave the deeds to the tenants and let them sell at a profit. The poverty industrial complex (including the criminal justice system mind you) employs alot of people as well as the fact that the welfare poor is one of the few voting blocks that actually have more than single digit turnout in city elections.
I dont understand why so many ppl think that ppl from the projects get up and go vote

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-19-2018, 07:32 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,889,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Give NYCHA to current residents as a co-op, put a large flip tax on it.

Problem solved! Maybe.
I agree with this. The city is already bringing in private developers to renovate the buildings and refurbish by selling a 50% stake in them. This is the perfect time to give remaining city equity to residents and convert all NYCHA to co-ops.

That would bring a lot of tax money to the city for public transportation, schools, etc.

Tax holes would become tax paying properties.

The partially privatized buildings are being converted to Section 8 rentals, so the city maybe thinking this on a long term basis.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I dont understand why so many ppl think that ppl from the projects get up and go vote

Probably many of them know they are going to get screwed no matter WHO wins elections...hard to gainsay them.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Probably many of them know they are going to get screwed no matter WHO wins elections...hard to gainsay them.
I dont understand why so many ppl think that ppl from the projects pay attention to politics

Old 07-19-2018, 08:59 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,522,173 times
Just because you happen to live in the projects doesn't mean you don't care about politics, voting or what happens in your own community.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
Just because you happen to live in the projects doesn't mean you don't care about politics, voting or what happens in your own community.
No no no

That's not what I meant

So let me be clear

There is a general consensus among this forum that everybody in the projects votes Democrat, and votes in each and every election, so that they can keep their lead paint apartments, EBT cards, and Medicaid.

Anybody who lives near a NYCHA can testify that the voting polls don't have long lines.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:55 AM

8,923 posts, read 4,730,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
This is true. A former classmate of mine in high school grew up in Far Rockaway and she and everybody else around her didn't vote at all. I would get into these heated discussions with her about voting and she was like adamant that it didn't matter either way so why bother. They have other more pressing day to day concerns to worry about and voting is far down the list.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:50 PM

Until the very last minute I was going to skip the last election but then I joined the majority and pulled the Hillary lever because I correctly judged the damage that a complete vulgar moronic jackass like Trump could do to the country, and ME.

I despised weak kneed Barack Obama and Hilary looked like more of the same, and a war monger.

So I understand very well anyone refraining from the vote, no matter their reasons.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:14 PM

37,026 posts, read 39,094,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I agree with this. The city is already bringing in private developers to renovate the buildings and refurbish by selling a 50% stake in them. This is the perfect time to give remaining city equity to residents and convert all NYCHA to co-ops.

That would bring a lot of tax money to the city for public transportation, schools, etc.

Tax holes would become tax paying properties.

The partially privatized buildings are being converted to Section 8 rentals, so the city maybe thinking this on a long term basis.
And if the residents have a financial stake, then they’d be a lot more willinng to go for additional development on the former NYCHA lands.

I think a study and a pilot of a complex or two should be attempted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City