Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 04:46 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
But where does the elevator shaft go? I'm guessing they have to take space from some of the apartments?

And somewhat related story, when I was 3 or 4 years old, I rolled down at least a flight of stairs from the fifth floor (I remember it being all 5 flights) at my aunt's building in Park Slope! Thankfully I wasn't hurt at all.

As for your last point, I think that's true but I do think most young people would be perfectly fine with a walkup building if they're on the 1st through 3rd floor.

Am not qualified to answer first part of your post.

Regarding the last, much new development/renovation or whatever is geared towards "family sized" units. Two or even three bedroom apartments are highly coveted as more and more families make the city their home.

Where they can help it LL's aren't interested in having a roommate situation with two or more persons splitting up a large apartment. They'll do it if that is all they can get, and in some instances it will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 07:09 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,098 times
Quote:
I will admit, I automatically think more highly of neighborhoods if they have a high concentration of 4-6 story prewar buildings, whether they're walkup tenements or elevator buildings. Neighborhoods like these are very New York to me. I can appreciate modern buildings too, if they're not cheap/ugly looking. But prewar will always be my favorite.

I also believe that the apex of residential urban form is achieved through blocks of midrise apartments, perhaps mixed in with rowhomes.
I like this type of development too. It feels very New York and comfortably enclosed in a way.

I've lived in several pre-war apartment buildings, both elevator and not, and some have been very quiet and others noise was a real issue. The bad thing is that it's hard to know until you move in.

Old 07-22-2018, 12:54 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,440 times
Quote:
I will admit, I automatically think more highly of neighborhoods if they have a high concentration of 4-6 story prewar buildings, whether they're walkup tenements or elevator buildings. Neighborhoods like these are very New York to me. I can appreciate modern buildings too, if they're not cheap/ugly looking. But prewar will always be my favorite.

I also believe that the apex of residential urban form is achieved through blocks of midrise apartments, perhaps mixed in with rowhomes.
Lol they're disgusting. I would not be opposed to tearing all of them down.

Anyone who "LOVES" these buildings has never been or lived in one or is a transplant who has and thinks it's "so NY!!!!! I'm a real NYer now".

Old 07-22-2018, 02:33 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,027,347 times
In theory I love them. I lived in one in Cleveland, on the ground floor, and froze my butt off in the winter.

Old 07-22-2018, 03:58 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Lol they're disgusting. I would not be opposed to tearing all of them down.

Anyone who "LOVES" these buildings has never been or lived in one or is a transplant who has and thinks it's "so NY!!!!! I'm a real NYer now".
They're are plenty of New Yorkers here who don't feel that way.

I regularly spend time in a 40s building (a little too recent to be prewar, but close) and there's nothing gross about it.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:01 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,703,351 times
Quote:
They're are plenty of New Yorkers here who don't feel that way.

I regularly spend time in a 40s building (a little too recent to be prewar, but close) and there's nothing gross about it.
I agree. Definitely not a transplant. I lived in one of those too and it was very solid. Had a very spacious layout. Roaches, however . . . well you can't have everything.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I agree. Definitely not a transplant. I lived in one of those too and it was very solid. Had a very spacious layout. Roaches, however . . . well you can't have everything.
I feel like by this point, it should be possible to roach proof an apartment.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:16 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,703,351 times
Quote:
I feel like by this point, it should be possible to roach proof an apartment.
Nah, not unless everyone in the building was diligent. They can squeeze themselves everywhere.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Nah, not unless everyone in the building was diligent. They can squeeze themselves everywhere.
Does that also apply to new buildings?

Old 07-22-2018, 05:18 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
I live on the 4th floor of a pre war, love it. top floor no one above me, all the rooms have windows bright and airy, nice size rooms, homey

I hate all these new "luxury" buildings they are building, all the kitchens are shoved in the corner of the living room, and the brokers call it "open concept".
BS, its a kitchen, IN a portion of the living room.
Open concept is a room 34 x 24, NOT 11 x 15, thats just a room.

so all these luxury high rises, you can have them. They llok like office buildings, and I work in an office the last thing I want to feel like after 4pm is an office....

so yes, I love pre-war apartment buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City