Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 07:18 AM

1,121 posts, read 591,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I meant to write lots of people make LESS than $50k...
Well if you have time break it down into a realistic budget for the original poster.

When a transplant makes 50k in NYC what are the finer details about his or her lifestyle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 08:38 AM

319 posts, read 400,471 times
it's tough i make around 70k and yet i'm still suffering LOL

Old 07-29-2018, 07:57 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,060,391 times
Since OP says:
Quote:
I currently live here
perhaps there is no need for him to worry about housing, since that issue might already be settled?

Old 07-29-2018, 08:00 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,123,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Since OP says:

perhaps there is no need for him to worry about housing, since that issue might already be settled?
I was thinking maybe they live at their parents' house and want to move out.

Old 07-29-2018, 05:45 PM

23 posts, read 25,046 times
It can be done. I lived on 50k (or less) for about 6 years.
Being totally honest, it wasn't the most comfortable time, but I never went hungry and was always able to pay the bills on time.
I had a roommate for about 3 years and lived in Queens (a studio apt) for the other 3.

You can make it work.

Old 07-29-2018, 06:14 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
All this going back and forth really amounts to nothing but noise.

Asking if someone can "survive" on "X" annual wages simply isn't possible to answer with any certainty without knowing expenses.

Yes, there are plenty of people living in NYC (and that includes Manhattan below 96th street) that have household incomes = or < $50k per year.

That being said a large portion of them are in NYCHA, have below market RC or RS apartments, vouchers or whatever else that subsidizes their rent. Those options generally are off the table for recent arrivals (unless they are poor, homeless or whatever, then the city rolls out the welcome mat and gives bennies).

Also as have said, $50k gross is around $34k net after just taxes. Try finding an apartment in NYC on that salary.

Old 07-29-2018, 06:19 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,283,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by propman-nyc View Post
Well if you have time break it down into a realistic budget for the original poster.

When a transplant makes 50k in NYC what are the finer details about his or her lifestyle?
$50k isn't the worst thing in the world. It just means that they'll be a bit more rent burdened, but they could still get their own place if a landlord is willing to overlook the 40x the rent rule. If they get a part time job making 5-6k per year your rent is now within the 40x the rent range. If the person doesn't have student loan debt and other debt then it is doable, provided they stay within a budget. They can even go out regularly, again within a budget. The median income for a household is around $62k so for one person warning in the 50s that's not the worst thing in the world.

Once rent is covered and the utilities, you don't need to spend wild amounts of money on other things.

Old 07-29-2018, 07:25 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,596,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
$50k isn't the worst thing in the world. It just means that they'll be a bit more rent burdened, but they could still get their own place if a landlord is willing to overlook the 40x the rent rule. If they get a part time job making 5-6k per year your rent is now within the 40x the rent range. If the person doesn't have student loan debt and other debt then it is doable, provided they stay within a budget. They can even go out regularly, again within a budget. The median income for a household is around $62k so for one person warning in the 50s that's not the worst thing in the world.

Once rent is covered and the utilities, you don't need to spend wild amounts of money on other things.
The key sentence is that they would need to find a landlord who is willing to overlook the 40X rule.

Old 07-29-2018, 07:56 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,283,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
The key sentence is that they would need to find a landlord who is willing to overlook the 40X rule.
Correct, or get a part-time job to bump up their salary to meet the 40x rule. There are apartments online at around $1400 - 1425, mainly studios, but some are in decent areas like Forest Hills. Get a part time job and you can do it. I'm not even pushing the whole roommate thing because I think it's embarrassing to be in your 30s or 40s even and still have five roommates. People just need to learn how to budget and not feel the need to live in the trendiest neighborhood. I've technically been living on my own off and on since my college days. I had my own apartment in Europe in my early 20s and I had to live off of the money that I had while I lived there and even then my rent, water, electric and gas almost totaled $2000 US a month even then (Rent was roughly $1600 US, plus water, gas, and electric). Here in the US you don't pay for water, which or heating which is are huge expenses. Definitely taught me how to budget. Let's say that the person is able to meet the 40x the rent rule. Let's say they make $56,000.

Monthly expenses would be something like this:

Rent: $1400
Food & Household Needs: $400 - 600
Entertainment: $200 (It's NYC, you need to get out and enjoy the place)
Transportation: $121 or more if you don't use the subway. Even if one uses Uber, it could still be cheaper than having a car
Gas & Electric - $60 - 120 max
Cable & Internet: $200
Cell phone: $100
Let's assume they have no student loan debt or credit card debt

They also have to put aside money for retirement, and things like clothing and other emergencies, so I'd say stock away another $500 a month or more if possible.

Old 07-29-2018, 08:12 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,596,424 times
But the person makes 50k, not 55k (i.e., with a part time job).
In other words, it sounds like you're saying that someone earning 50k can NOT make it in nyc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City