Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2018, 08:20 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,564,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I've been to New Orleans too and don't find it to be that similar to Philly, if similar at all
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Why did you go to the ghetto?
The ghetto is the best part of Philly imo.

Def gotta go to the ghetto to go to Max's...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2018, 08:21 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,749,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeadon718 View Post
The ghetto is the best part of Philly imo.

Def gotta go to the ghetto to go to Max's...
I dont consider broad and Erie a bad area

Reminds me of 69th street

Old 09-18-2018, 11:07 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
I took public transportation home to NYC. Worst mistake on my part. Public transportation from Philly to NYC was horrible. The train made a stop every 5 mins from Philly to Newark, NJ which meant the commute was 3 hours. Never again. And forget about driving on I-95 from NYC - Philly, you'll be nickel and dime to death with the tolls and the travel is crazy, unpredictable, and one accident can set you back hours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
You're better off taking the Greyhound bus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
2nd that. Megabus or Bolt. 2 hours. Easy peasy.
The best transportation option by far is Amtrak. It's such a direct long ago established route that it's actually FASTER than a no-traffic drive, a regular train is ONE HOUR, 24 MINUTES. Acela Express gets it done in as little as 1 hour 12 minutes. Of course you're paying for that privilege, $58 regular or $108+ Acela

Old 09-18-2018, 11:48 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,546,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
The best transportation option by far is Amtrak. It's such a direct long ago established route that it's actually FASTER than a no-traffic drive, a regular train is ONE HOUR, 24 MINUTES. Acela Express gets it done in as little as 1 hour 12 minutes. Of course you're paying for that privilege, $58 regular or $108+ Acela
EACH WAY! Amtrak is ridiculously expensive even when they offer "discounts." I understand why; doesn't make it any better.

Old 09-18-2018, 12:00 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
EACH WAY! Amtrak is ridiculously expensive even when they offer "discounts." I understand why; doesn't make it any better.
The prices only make sense if you would fly otherwise. If not then coach bus is the best deal but you're subject to traffic issues

Old 09-18-2018, 07:30 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,564,250 times
Boltbus, Megabus, or the Chinatown bus does it in 2 hours exactly.... $8-10 one way.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:37 PM

16,035 posts, read 6,843,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Looks like the city of brotherly love is attracting increasing numbers of New Yorkers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/20/n...mmigrants.html

Where the masses go higher property
taxes are eventually sure to follow.
If the masses go South you go North.
If the masses go West you go East.
Always remain under the radar.

Old 09-19-2018, 06:42 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,489,069 times
There is a lot of in/out flow between Philadelphia and New York. Of the 4 years I've lived in the city, I have had numerous friends who either upped and left for New York or moved down to Philadelphia. The main difference I've noticed is that of my New York friends, they don't really think of coming down to Philly to do things, but those of us who live here constantly go to New York for things. Though as Philly gains more things, I can see that changing. I myself go up to New York at least once a month, mostly for nightlife. While the Gayborhood provides some awesome nightlife that I've enjoyed over the years, New York is infinitely better in this regard between the bars/clubs/circuit parties/etc.

I don't really see Center City comparing to Manhattan in many ways. Yes, it is very urban but it does not have the energy of a place like Midtown. Not even close. But the guy upthread who said Center City is dead after 9pm has no idea what he's talking about. There are numerous neighborhoods in Center City and elsewhere that are actual 24/7 areas.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:09 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Where the masses go higher property
taxes are eventually sure to follow.
If the masses go South you go North.
If the masses go West you go East.
Always remain under the radar.
The contrarian theory is also used by investors on Wall Street and in real estate. When people are running away from cities (70s-90s) you need to BUY property. When everyone knows about a city or a neighborhood, as an investor you want to sell.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:16 AM

12,202 posts, read 7,223,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
There is a lot of in/out flow between Philadelphia and New York. Of the 4 years I've lived in the city, I have had numerous friends who either upped and left for New York or moved down to Philadelphia. The main difference I've noticed is that of my New York friends, they don't really think of coming down to Philly to do things, but those of us who live here constantly go to New York for things. Though as Philly gains more things, I can see that changing. I myself go up to New York at least once a month, mostly for nightlife. While the Gayborhood provides some awesome nightlife that I've enjoyed over the years, New York is infinitely better in this regard between the bars/clubs/circuit parties/etc.

I don't really see Center City comparing to Manhattan in many ways. Yes, it is very urban but it does not have the energy of a place like Midtown. Not even close. But the guy upthread who said Center City is dead after 9pm has no idea what he's talking about. There are numerous neighborhoods in Center City and elsewhere that are actual 24/7 areas.
Ironically, there are few if any neighborhoods in Manhattan that is 24/7.

Midtown is only busier (than CC) during daytime, office hours because of the huge amount of office buildings but it dies down considerably after dark when all the office workers go home.

Manhattan's reputation for being lively at night is way overrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City