Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 05:23 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakanda18 View Post
There are more bad areas in Philly than good. So a lot of options are there. You can get a rehab house for 40k in north Philly

Septa is horrible by the way, I have my qualms with MTA but it’s actually sad how other cities public transportation still falls short of the detoriating one we have here
Well yeah, now is the time to act, though. Or else it will be like Brooklyn with the whole "I wish I knew" thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 05:31 AM

766 posts, read 507,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
SEPTA is terrible, but it is much better than what almost any other American city has which is pretty much jack**** nothing.

Philadelphia’s rowhouse neighborhoods really stand out because of how tightly clustered they are and how far out they run. The way its street grid gets broken up is also a lot more irregular. It’s pretty attractive for people who like that sort of thing.
It’s charming but small and narrow. The parking is a disaster as well due to the narrowness of the streets (and SEPTA is not reliable enough to not have a car in my opinion) Society hill (aka ultra rich) and “up and coming” fish town are my favorite neighborhoods.

Immigrants would be more willing to go to other affordable cities if they had public transportation. I think many would prefer better weather to begin with. But these other cities don’t want accessible public transportation because they means more mingling with demographics outside of their enclave.

Old 07-25-2018, 05:37 AM

Quote:
It’s charming but small and narrow. The parking is a disaster as well due to the narrowness of the streets (and SEPTA is not reliable enough to not have a car in my opinion) Society hill (aka ultra rich) and “up and coming” fish town are my favorite neighborhoods.

Immigrants would be more willing to go to other affordable cities if they had public transportation. I think many would prefer better weather to begin with. But these other cities don’t want accessible public transportation because they means more mingling with demographics outside of their enclave.
That's not exactly true, massive amounts of immigrants go to places like Dallas, Houston, Phoenix, etc, and it's not like these places are known for having great public transportation. It's not like having NYC level public transit is a necessity for most of them.

And these places are filled with low income minorities, so their lack of public transit is not because of not wanting to "mingle with outsiders".

Old 07-25-2018, 05:51 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
I HATE any housing that goes smack-dab to the property line. It is claustrophobia making. A row house with front door right on the sidewalk screams "BURGLARIZE ME."

Old 07-25-2018, 06:04 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
All post are accurate in opinions. The migrant flow to Philly will eventually create more revenue leading to increased and better transportation
and higher cost of living. Are you willing to be one of the early pioneers willing to gamble and purchase that $40k home and sacrifice poor
travel accommodations back and forth to work for many many years and then finally sell that home for a million when ready to retire?
No ? Then shut your pie hole.

Young folks:
If you have nothing to lose then why not follow the migrant trend and be one of the first on the block.
I'll be dead and buried by the time you cash in on great wealth and a comfortable retirement. You heard it here first.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:05 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:

I like the narrow streets. I like biking and walking about in Philadelphia and would never get a car if I lived in one of those neighborhoods. They really do need to expand the transit there though. I like a lot of neighborhoods in Philadelphia, even the non-rowhouse neighborhoods. It’s a good city overall.

Immigrants go where they can find work which isn’t the same places as those with the best transit in the US.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:07 AM

34,003 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Are you willing to be one of the early pioneers willing to gamble and purchase that $40k home and sacrifice poor
travel accommodations back and forth to work for many many years and then finally sell that home for a million when ready to retire?
No ? Then shut your pie hole.
/thread

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-25-2018, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I like the narrow streets. I like biking and walking about in Philadelphia and would never get a car if I lived in one of those neighborhoods. They really do need to expand the transit there though. I like a lot of neighborhoods in Philadelphia, even the non-rowhouse neighborhoods. It’s a good city overall.

Immigrants go where they can find work which isn’t the same places as those with the best transit in the US.
Agreed. And with the money you save on rent, you can splurge on more ubers

Old 07-25-2018, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
That's not exactly true, massive amounts of immigrants go to places like Dallas, Houston, Phoenix, etc, and it's not like these places are known for having great public transportation. It's not like having NYC level public transit is a necessity for most of them.

And these places are filled with low income minorities, so their lack of public transit is not because of not wanting to "mingle with outsiders".
Massive amounts but nowhere near the the level of nyc, they generously state 1.1 illegal immigrants live in nyc compared to 400k in Dallas. Of course these numbers are still most likely under reported.

The necessity remains on convenience, public transportation is convenient when you don’t have a drivers license. Jobs are convenient and housing is easier to get as nyc is more generous on benefits. This all gets back to those back in their home land

But it’s no doubt in my mind most would prefer to live in the warmer more affordable cities however life is harder and riskier there. We will see more moving south or out of nyc as they get their citizenship or green card. Atlanta is even getting a big immigrant population boom but you need a car

Old 07-25-2018, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Agreed. And with the money you save on rent, you can splurge on more ubers
If you are used to spending manhattan rents it’s a good deal but otherwise the good parts of philly aren’t exactly cheap. Housing is also limited due to their lack of rezoning.

A nice 1 bedroom is still at minimum $1500 a month in the good areas ranging to $2300.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City