Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 10:28 AM

34,008 posts, read 47,240,427 times

Advertisements

Moved this thread back to NYC.

Check out the Philly responses.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2018, 06:19 PM

968 posts, read 1,139,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Two, two hours on mass transit from Levittown to Center City? You must live some distance away from Levittown Regional Rail station. Travel time from there to Jefferson Station (the last of the Center City stations it serves) is 54 minutes on a local train and less than that on a peak-hour express.
I'm in Village of Pennbrook at Falls Twp off Mill Creek Rd across from the big park. The train station is on 13 across from Walmart. The parking lot there is so full many people park in the Church and walk across the street to get on the train. You could walk down Mill Creek Rd and then walk down that trail that runs alongside the creek and come right out by the train station, but that in itself is 1/2 hr walk. I also told her that isn't the only station and there are several others along the way - Bristol, Croydon, Cornwells Heights etc - but I do not know what the deal is as far as parking goes at any of those stations.

Old 10-07-2018, 06:30 PM

968 posts, read 1,139,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
its considered one of philly's secret attractions
Google Image pics of it look quite nice. I know it's pretty much in Chinatown. Today we actually paid a visit to the Art Museum off Kelly Drive and had a lovely time. Very impressive and we didn't even get to see all of it so we will eventually be back for more.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:36 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Moved this thread back to NYC.

Check out the Philly responses.
Good. Please keep it there. 👍

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:50 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,895,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
No.....please leave where it started.

Old 10-08-2018, 01:52 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoNJtoPA View Post
I'm in Village of Pennbrook at Falls Twp off Mill Creek Rd across from the big park. The train station is on 13 across from Walmart. The parking lot there is so full many people park in the Church and walk across the street to get on the train. You could walk down Mill Creek Rd and then walk down that trail that runs alongside the creek and come right out by the train station, but that in itself is 1/2 hr walk. I also told her that isn't the only station and there are several others along the way - Bristol, Croydon, Cornwells Heights etc - but I do not know what the deal is as far as parking goes at any of those stations.
Cornwells Heights is a park-and-ride station. The huge lot there is direcctly accessible from I-95 southbound, and the station took its current form because of the ongoing reconstruction project on that highway.

Old 10-08-2018, 10:14 AM

34,008 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Hey, now that's certainly no way to boost your tourism

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-10-2018, 04:59 PM

72 posts, read 89,695 times
Philly is actually amazing. I lived there for 5 years before moving up to NYC for work, and whenever Philly comes up in conversation its almost unilaterally just shat upon... whenever I ask if they’ve been there I usually get a no.

It’s not a perfect city by any stretch of the imagination but its not Detroit. Generally speaking you have similar access to amenities, food, and culture if you live anywhere in Center City (what they call downtown). The central core of the city is very vibrant but yet compact. There’s a subway system but honestly you can probably walk on end of center city to the other in 30 minutes at brisk pace so its usually not necessary unless you’re trying to get to another part of the city... which is good since the subway runs much less frequently than it does here. Just missing your train is devastating.

Home ownership is a reality for most people. I remember working in a Mexican restaurant early in my time in Philly and it was mind boggling how many people that were line cooks at that restaurant were home owners. If you don’t want to buy renting is incredibly affordable compared to NYC. No frills studios were less than $1k/mo. In 2014 I had a friend who lived in the historic district in a converted loft building who had a gorgeous new studio loft for $1200/mo... easily double or more if that was in NYC and the location was amazing.

Though I will have to say there was just generally more crime in Philly and it can strike like lightening anywhere in the city. I remember walking around even in “safe” neighborhoods being hyper vigilant about whats happening around me constantly.... when I moved up here I was able to let me guard down a bit.

Overall if you’re not tied to NYC through work or other obligations I’d check philly out... You get MUCH MUCH more bang for your buck and honestly day to day life is pretty comparable in most ways. And if you want to come up to the city... you can jump on a $8 Chinatown bus and be in lower manhattan in under 2 hours.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:02 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamWALRUS77 View Post
Philly is actually amazing. I lived there for 5 years before moving up to NYC for work, and whenever Philly comes up in conversation its almost unilaterally just shat upon... whenever I ask if they’ve been there I usually get a no.

It’s not a perfect city by any stretch of the imagination but its not Detroit. Generally speaking you have similar access to amenities, food, and culture if you live anywhere in Center City (what they call downtown). The central core of the city is very vibrant but yet compact. There’s a subway system but honestly you can probably walk on end of center city to the other in 30 minutes at brisk pace so its usually not necessary unless you’re trying to get to another part of the city... which is good since the subway runs much less frequently than it does here. Just missing your train is devastating.

Home ownership is a reality for most people. I remember working in a Mexican restaurant early in my time in Philly and it was mind boggling how many people that were line cooks at that restaurant were home owners. If you don’t want to buy renting is incredibly affordable compared to NYC. No frills studios were less than $1k/mo. In 2014 I had a friend who lived in the historic district in a converted loft building who had a gorgeous new studio loft for $1200/mo... easily double or more if that was in NYC and the location was amazing.

Though I will have to say there was just generally more crime in Philly and it can strike like lightening anywhere in the city. I remember walking around even in “safe” neighborhoods being hyper vigilant about whats happening around me constantly.... when I moved up here I was able to let me guard down a bit.

Overall if you’re not tied to NYC through work or other obligations I’d check philly out... You get MUCH MUCH more bang for your buck and honestly day to day life is pretty comparable in most ways. And if you want to come up to the city... you can jump on a $8 Chinatown bus and be in lower manhattan in under 2 hours.
I always found that odd, especially when a snobby comment comes from a "New Yorker" who moved to New York a year ago from some s*** town in Iowa, funny how fast the pretension kicks in...

Also, DC which was a largely a hell hole for the 20th century is suddenly looked at in this golden light and most flaws are brushed over.

But generally when I mention Philadelphia to my New York friends they have positive things to say, I rarely run into someone who is a snob, and if they are I let them have it.

What upsets me the most though is how Philadelphia needs to constantly defend itself as to why its an amazing city for the simply fact that everyone compares it New York. And I tell people all the time its not a logical comparison. Yes the two cities are very old and compact and share history, but New York is arguably the worlds greatest and most powerful city. People need to appreciate each city for what it offers, but that idea only works on paper.

I think the catalyst for Philadelphia to fully shine is the poverty rate which also correlates to crime. Its near universally agreed that Philadelphia has an excellent downtown, great food, architecture, history, etc. but those startling poverty numbers and income disparity will always show unless the city improves on it. Which leads me to the horrible leadership.... none of those tasks will be accomplished until most of current council and mayor are gone, hopefully replaced with intelligent forward thinkers.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:07 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,881,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamWALRUS77 View Post
You get what you pay for, it is naive or presumptuous to claim otherwise. The big discount comes from the fact Philly is a far less desirable of a place to live to the majority of people compared to NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I always found that odd, especially when a snobby comment comes from a "New Yorker" who moved to New York a year ago from some s*** town in Iowa, funny how fast the pretension kicks in...
It takes someone from a **** town to recognize what a **** town looks like, someone who is willing to move is usually seeking for better alternative than what they had previously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City