Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 10:55 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times

Advertisements

philly has a brooklyn feel but i think its the other way around. Brooklyn has a philly feel.

THe pizza is not as good. They still have italians that actually live in the city but they specialize more in hoagies. Gelato is the best in the tri-state area in philly. They have some good comic book stores.

Septa runs late on friday and saturday which makes more sense:

SEPTA | Market-Frankford & Broad Street Line All Night Weekend Service

I like philly more than boston. Boston has no soul and it was harder to find a place that has good chowder. All the locals kept saying go to legal seafood which I refused to do.

Philly is gentrifying rapidly. I wish I bought a condo back when it was cheap.

THey need to expand the subway though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 11:41 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,401,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Because Philly is NOT the 6th borough of New York. In fact its culture is a lot more like New Orleans than New York. People can spin it all day long, but Philly is not a smaller version of New York.
Lol New Orleans? Sorry but New Orleans already has two sister cities and those cities are Savanah and Charleston!

Old 07-28-2018, 12:04 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,225,101 times
Quote:
Well I was going to respond but not if there’s a troll among us.
Who are you calling troll?

Old 07-28-2018, 12:14 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Who are you calling troll?

yo mama!

Old 07-28-2018, 07:00 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
I love Philly and enjoy going there at least once per year. They're often scouting trips.

We have a lot of areas we have looked into possibly moving but the streets do feel super claustrophobic at times---way tighter than NYC---so I do consider staying outside of the city center. I think they could benefit from adding some more green space.

The public schools are awful and unlike NYC, living in a nice area doesn't equate to a nice school for elementary. You'd have to either pay for private or somehow manage to make it into one of the catchments of maybe the handful of public schools that are pretty good.

We'll see.

For immigrants, I think it's a good move. There are still good deals to be found even in downtown. Outside of downtown, you could find areas that are okay. Like I notice in the photos they reference Bustleton, which I'm pretty sure is an all right area.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:09 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I love Philly and enjoy going there at least once per year. They're often scouting trips.

We have a lot of areas we have looked into possibly moving but the streets do feel super claustrophobic at times---way tighter than NYC---so I do consider staying outside of the city center. I think they could benefit from adding some more green space.

The public schools are awful and unlike NYC, living in a nice area doesn't equate to a nice school for elementary. You'd have to either pay for private or somehow manage to make it into one of the catchments of maybe the handful of public schools that are pretty good.

We'll see.

For immigrants, I think it's a good move. There are still good deals to be found even in downtown. Outside of downtown, you could find areas that are okay. Like I notice in the photos they reference Bustleton, which I'm pretty sure is an all right area.
For leafier, but still historic and walkable neighborhoods and better public schools in some parts, look into neighborhoods in Northwest Philadelphia.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:26 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I can see Philly not being "cheap" for too much longer, once massive waves of immigrants as well as transplants from NYC and other expensive cities revitalize the busted up neighborhoods. You can get a 3 story rowhome for a pretty reasonable price still, at least in the bad neighborhoods.
I don't think Philly will become as expensive as NYC. It's not as well known, so the demand won't be the same. The article also points out immigrants who arrive to NYC and then dispersing around the country is nothing new. Earlier waves of immigrants did this as well.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakanda18 View Post
Massive amounts but nowhere near the the level of nyc, they generously state 1.1 illegal immigrants live in nyc compared to 400k in Dallas. Of course these numbers are still most likely under reported.

The necessity remains on convenience, public transportation is convenient when you don’t have a drivers license. Jobs are convenient and housing is easier to get as nyc is more generous on benefits. This all gets back to those back in their home land

But it’s no doubt in my mind most would prefer to live in the warmer more affordable cities however life is harder and riskier there. We will see more moving south or out of nyc as they get their citizenship or green card. Atlanta is even getting a big immigrant population boom but you need a car
Lots of illegal immigrants work in the agricultural sector. They have construction jobs all over the country, and yes one can find undocumented immigrants working in sectors like construction all around the nation. Oh and having a driver's license does not necessarily mean one isn't undocumented. Someone who overstayed their visa may have a driver's license. Or some states are more lax in checking the immigration status than other states.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Because Philly is NOT the 6th borough of New York. In fact its culture is a lot more like New Orleans than New York. People can spin it all day long, but Philly is not a smaller version of New York.
New Orleans does not have a commuter rail system or subway (it has street cars I believe). Philly is a lot more urban than New Orleans. Philadephia is very much an old Northeastern city like NYC, Boston, or DC.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
I'm not talking about physical looks, transportation or architecture, I'm talking about culture.
New Orleans was a former French colony and a former Spanish colony. Creole and Cajun elements alone make it nothing like Philadelphia. Mardi Gras, Creole food, Cajun food, make it nothing like Philadelphia. The old architecture in New Orleans is French or Spanish or antebellum Southern. I do not see any similarities between New Orleans and Philadelphia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City