Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 02:58 AM

31,904 posts, read 26,954,113 times

Advertisements

Looks like the city of brotherly love is attracting increasing numbers of New Yorkers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/20/n...mmigrants.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 03:01 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,477,229 times
I hope New Yorkers don't jack up rents in Philly.

Old 07-25-2018, 04:56 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Looks like the city of brotherly love is attracting increasing numbers of New Yorkers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/20/n...mmigrants.html
On reading the article it doesn't sound like it's about "New Yorker's moving to Philadelphia" but about immigrant transplants ( mostly Chinese and Mexican) settling in Philadelphia .

Old 07-25-2018, 04:57 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I hope New Yorkers don't jack up rents in Philly.
Those people aren't "New Yorkers".

Old 07-25-2018, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Those people aren't "New Yorkers".
You're right, I should have read the article first. That being said, I think it is a good idea for lower income immigrants to consider cities with lower housing costs. It doesn't seem like New York is worth it anymore, whatever extra money they're making from being in New York, would probably be offset by lower housing costs in the case of Philadelphia. I think Mexican immigrants should consider buying property in Philadelphia, since I think it may be too late for most of them to buy property in NYC. Chinese people on the other hand do own a lot of property in New York, but the lower income ones who don't have a shot at buying property in NYC anymore should also consider Philadelphia.

Old 07-25-2018, 05:09 AM

I can see Philly not being "cheap" for too much longer, once massive waves of immigrants as well as transplants from NYC and other expensive cities revitalize the busted up neighborhoods. You can get a 3 story rowhome for a pretty reasonable price still, at least in the bad neighborhoods.

Old 07-25-2018, 05:11 AM

766 posts, read 507,682 times
Eh philly is nice but it’s really a low rate version of nyc. Actually reminds me more of the current landscape of downtown Brooklyn. Just the houses are even smaller and the vibe just isn’t there. North philly is worst than the Bronx

Old 07-25-2018, 05:14 AM

766 posts, read 507,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I can see Philly not being "cheap" for too much longer, once massive waves of immigrants as well as transplants from NYC and other expensive cities revitalize the busted up neighborhoods. You can get a 3 story rowhome for a pretty reasonable price still, at least in the bad neighborhoods.
There are more bad areas in Philly than good. So a lot of options are there. You can get a rehab house for 40k in north Philly

Septa is horrible by the way, I have my qualms with MTA but it’s actually sad how other cities public transportation still falls short of the detoriating one we have here

Old 07-25-2018, 05:20 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakanda18 View Post
There are more bad areas in Philly than good. So a lot of options are there. You can get a rehab house for 40k in north Philly

Septa is horrible by the way, I have my qualms with MTA but it’s actually sad how other cities public transportation still falls short of the detoriating one we have here
SEPTA is terrible, but it is much better than what almost any other American city has which is pretty much jack**** nothing.

Philadelphia’s rowhouse neighborhoods really stand out because of how tightly clustered they are and how far out they run. The way its street grid gets broken up is also a lot more irregular. It’s pretty attractive for people who like that sort of thing.

Old 07-25-2018, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
SEPTA is terrible, but it is much better than what almost any other American city has which is pretty much jack**** nothing.

Philadelphia’s rowhouse neighborhoods really stand out because of how tightly clustered they are and how far out they run. The way its street grid gets broken up is also a lot more irregular. It’s pretty attractive for people who like that sort of thing.
I find it to be very cozy and pedestrian friendly. Even Philly's terrible neighborhood's like Fairhill have a charm to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City