Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 09:54 AM

25,341 posts, read 36,858,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
My favorite is one with caramelized onions. I beg my girlfriend to cook them. Like begging for sex...

That's pissaladiere, originally from Nice, a Julia Child favorite. I was tempted but never actually made it.
I just put it in my bucket list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 09:59 AM

12,741 posts, read 8,172,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
That's pissaladiere, originally from Nice, a Julia Child favorite. I was tempted but never actually made it.
I just put it in my bucket list.
We jazz it up with various delicate Euro cheeses... Really decadent... There's enough for dinner and left overs for lunch provided I'm stopped from eating just a few slices. lol It's just as good for lunch too. We don't refrigerate or reheat it either. Just at room temperature.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:28 AM

779 posts, read 998,715 times
I'm actually a fan of cold/room temp pizza, I think it tastes just as good if not better than fresh.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:45 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,593,981 times
Difara for quality.
Koronet (172nd, not 110th) for that 30in slice that actually tastes amazing
Champion's Pizza on Essex St for $1 slice (honestly, these guys are so quality I'm surprised it's only $1).
Table 87 when I want to show people what I survived off of in college (great quality, but doesn't compare to Difara imo)

Old 07-27-2018, 10:49 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,979,832 times
Best NYC Pizzeria is Amore in Flushing Queens. That is the true pinnacle of NYC Pizza. This is the real deal.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:14 AM

769 posts, read 1,007,529 times
Sally's Apizza and Frank Pepe's.

It all comes down to the ceramic oven.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:21 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,191,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
This is a tough one. Given how much pizza I've eaten all over Italy, I was a bit of a snob when I came back to NYC. I guess a better question is Italian-American vs Italian really...
You can get a decent Neapolitan in NYC, but good luck finding a NY slice in Naples :-)

My favorite slice is in Mount Vernon, so doesn't really qualify for this topic. Oh, well.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:31 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,898,632 times
Louie & Ernie's in Pelham Bay in the Bronx - they don't deliver and it's best if you eat in so it's all fresh and gooey. Delish! Astoria Pizza Factory is pretty good. Waldy's in Chelsea is also really good, but more Neapolitan than NY.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:38 AM

12,741 posts, read 8,172,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
You can get a decent Neapolitan in NYC, but good luck finding a NY slice in Naples :-)

My favorite slice is in Mount Vernon, so doesn't really qualify for this topic. Oh, well.
I had pizza all over Italy. In Naples, I started with the classic Neapolitan pizza in one spot, then went to another spot and had regular Neapolitan pizza. I preferred the regular pizza over the classic one (I had a slice with spinach and sausage). Pizza in the North is even better than in the South in some cases because they prefer to use breads like schiacciata (which is like a focaccia bread) without any tomato sauce, so you can get things like quattro formaggi schiacciata, onions schiacciata, würstel wrapped in schiacciata style bread, etc.; combinations that you generally wouldn't find here since the pizza is regional.

Whole Foods has been doing that sort of thing and I've been pleased with the quality of the pizza and the combinations used. They had a pesto and pancetta pizza served on something similar to a focaccia that was divine. They haven't been carrying it of late and it varies depending on the location, but I also love their white pizza with mushrooms focaccia style pizza.

Focaccia is usually found traditionally in places like Liguria in the North, but in Tuscany where I lived, if you go around Florence, it's used everywhere, especially the schiacciata.

Old 07-27-2018, 12:52 PM

6,662 posts, read 5,936,750 times
the good ol' fashioned one up at Dyckman Street, "Pizza Palace"
I've been having those slices since I was a kid!

https://www.yelp.com/biz/pizza-palace-new-york
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City