Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 07:05 PM

31,676 posts, read 26,605,989 times

Advertisements

With the relenting heat and or damp ACs have been running nearly 24/7 for many, and now the bills are coming for June, and they likely aren't cheap.

Ours was a hair under $120, which is reasonable suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 07:14 PM

12,746 posts, read 8,197,990 times
O just got mine... I don't run the AC so no issues there. However, I thought I had signed up for e-bill. More crap that I have to shred.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:01 PM

1,486 posts, read 978,156 times
And this is why im happy I don't pay for electricity!!

I can run whatever I want 24/7 and never see an energy bill

Old 07-26-2018, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
And this is why im happy I don't pay for electricity!!

I can run whatever I want 24/7 and never see an energy bill

Yes, but some of us would rather pay utility bills (and grumble), than live in the projects and not.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Yes, but some of us would rather pay utility bills (and grumble), than live in the projects and not.
Yes, and some of us would rather buy a Co-op or an apartment where electricity is included in the maintenance fee than live in the projects or shell out to ConEd.

Old 07-27-2018, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
Yes, and some of us would rather buy a Co-op or an apartment where electricity is included in the maintenance fee than live in the projects or shell out to ConEd.

Well then your utility usage isn't "free" as you yourself have noted. Residents who use less subsidize those who use more.

Old 07-27-2018, 02:20 AM

106,059 posts, read 108,035,793 times
yep , it is all in the maintenance charge . you are correct you may actually be over paying the utility portion figured in the maintenance and paying for those who use more .

Old 07-27-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Well then your utility usage isn't "free" as you yourself have noted. Residents who use less subsidize those who use more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
yep , it is all in the maintenance charge . you are correct you may actually be over paying the utility portion figured in the maintenance and paying for those who use more .
The monthly bill is itemized, although you both may be right and it is subsidized. I never really pay attention to the maintenance bill because its always the same exact amount every month and the breakdown of the bill is there is one flat charge for maintenance and if the owner has an AC, washer, dryer, dishwasher, or deep freeze they are charged individually per item installed in the unit monthly on top of what they already pay for maintenance. Some people get clever though and install portable AC units where management cannot see it from the outside which results in no added charge to the maintenance

A few years ago when I was looking there were are apartments in upper Bronx area where everything was included in the rent including internet and cable TV with all the channels for $1300 a month. The only downside they were 2 family homes and the owner almost always lived in one of the units. Some places like this still exist in Jersey City but its only by word of mouth and the owners only want certain types of people in there such as no single moms, no one on government assistance, no fresh collage grads, etc.

Old 07-27-2018, 09:08 AM

6,670 posts, read 5,960,640 times
OMG, and I thought I was the only one! I opened my ConEd bill and it was exactly $100. (And I live alone!)

Old 07-27-2018, 09:14 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,902,915 times
Mine was $147! It was an estimated bill, based on last year's usage. I'm hoping that when I submit actual readings for this month there will be an adjustment. I did buy a bigger unti for my living room, which means I don't have to run it as high as the smaller unit I had last year, and I run it for less time, but when it IS running, it probably uses more power. I don't know how these things work (don't care much either, just want to be cool lol)

I've mentioned on other threads that I'm looking at co-ops now. Most of which include gas & elec in the maintenance. Don't care if I subsidize others, just like the idea of one flat fee, and always knowing what my bills will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: