Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 04:48 AM

31,910 posts, read 26,999,286 times

Advertisements

In case you're ever out that way.

https://www.silive.com/expo/life-and..._most-readnews
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 06:49 AM

12,790 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Impressive and he's from Palermo, as is my family. Some of the best arancini (rice balls) I ever had was when I was in Palermo, and you eat like a king for pennies. Woodrow is rather out of the way though, but he does deliver so that is a huge plus. Have you ever eaten there? Big fan of salsiccia but not in the case. I like them crumbled up and browned a bit.

I don't know if you've ever been to Buon Italia, but I highly recommend the place. They FINALLY started taking credit cards which allows me to go there and spend as I please as opposed to having to go and find an ATM and get cash. My friend used to be a barista there for a bit. I get cassata from there from time to time and they have great gelato and paninos as well, just like you would find in Italy. I don't know how they do it but they're able to get the texture of the bread and the taste down to what you would expect in Italy when getting a panino.

Old 08-01-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Impressive and he's from Palermo, as is my family. Some of the best arancini (rice balls) I ever had was when I was in Palermo, and you eat like a king for pennies. Woodrow is rather out of the way though, but he does deliver so that is a huge plus. Have you ever eaten there? Big fan of salsiccia but not in the case. I like them crumbled up and browned a bit.

I don't know if you've ever been to Buon Italia, but I highly recommend the place. They FINALLY started taking credit cards which allows me to go there and spend as I please as opposed to having to go and find an ATM and get cash. My friend used to be a barista there for a bit. I get cassata from there from time to time and they have great gelato and paninos as well, just like you would find in Italy. I don't know how they do it but they're able to get the texture of the bread and the taste down to what you would expect in Italy when getting a panino.

Just found out about the place from reading Advance other day. Think it is a new (just opened), on SI hence the PR. Guy had a place out in Brooklyn as well (where he started out), but area was "changing" so he and his partner closed that spot IIRC.

Old 08-01-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Just found out about the place from reading Advance other day. Think it is a new (just opened), on SI hence the PR. Guy had a place out in Brooklyn as well (where he started out), but area was "changing" so he and his partner closed that spot IIRC.
lol - Of course....

Old 08-01-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
lol - Of course....

While there is still a good sized Italian base in Bensonhurst, the place just isn't what it used to be; so guess many businesses that catered to that demographic are packing up.

https://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/17/n...ghborhood.html

Reviews of the Brooklyn place were good on average: https://frankandsal.com/pages/about-us

Old 08-01-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
While there is still a good sized Italian base in Bensonhurst, the place just isn't what it used to be; so guess many businesses that catered to that demographic are packing up.

https://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/17/n...ghborhood.html

Reviews of the Brooklyn place were good on average: https://frankandsal.com/pages/about-us
I do indeed miss Bensonhurst. Growing up, I can recall going there and playing football across the street from Scarpaci's Funeral Home in what is technically Dyker Heights. Spent many of days passing along 86th street near Spumoni's to play sports. Even then there were Chinese folks moving into Bensonhurst, but the area was still heavily Italian. Seeing what 18th Avenue has become is very sad. In one of my old offices, we had a colleague from Italy who I personally sent to Bensonhurst to live while he worked in our office. His landlord was a wonderful old Italian lady from the old country. When I visited we had cannoli and other pastries from 18th Avenue after dinner... Oh the good days...

Funny thing is though, in my mind Spumoni's was always in Gravesend technically, but the area was close enough to Bensonhurst to be lumped in with it. Going west along 86th street and onto Stillwell, you could still find all of the caffè's with the old paesanos sitting outside drinking an espresso.

For some reason Bensonhurst stings more than losing Little Italy. My friend and I would go down there back in the day and walk along the small area speaking in Italian and see all of the old guys sitting out speaking in their regional dialects. I think the last time it was really great down there was 2006 when Italy won the World Cup.

Old 08-01-2018, 05:32 PM

Each week now have been seeing tons of young Italian kids on the UES. They are here for summer as part of program sponsored by Manhattan college. Would love to get their take on America and if they would like to remain/move to USA or even New York. But obviously in this day and age am not going to just walk up and start chatting to a bunch of teenagers I don't know personally. *LOL*

Absent large waves of immigration from Italy like USA saw in the 1800's and much of the early to middle 1900's; places like Bensonhurst are going to struggle to survive as Italian enclaves.

Low birth rates, intermarriage, and a host of other factors just make things difficult.

Old 08-01-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Each week now have been seeing tons of young Italian kids on the UES. They are here for summer as part of program sponsored by Manhattan college. Would love to get their take on America and if they would like to remain/move to USA or even New York. But obviously in this day and age am not going to just walk up and start chatting to a bunch of teenagers I don't know personally. *LOL*

Absent large waves of immigration from Italy like USA saw in the 1800's and much of the early to middle 1900's; places like Bensonhurst are going to struggle to survive as Italian enclaves.

Low birth rates, intermarriage, and a host of other factors just make things difficult.
I have several Italian friends from Italy. Italians love NYC. The ones that can stay here do. The thing is the Italians from Italy generally stay in Manhattan if they can afford it, otherwise they go to Astoria or other hip places. Now if they have family in the outer boroughs, they will go to Morris Park, or other Italian-American enclaves, and of course Staten Island. The good news is Dyker Heights, Mill Basin and Bergen Beach are still holding on outside of places like Country Club, Pelham Bay, Throggs Neck and Howard Beach. Bay Terrace out in Queens also has a sizable Italian population, but it's like Whitestone and other parts of Northeast Queens. Ethnic whites (Greeks, Irish, etc.) with growing Asian populations. Middle Village is great too. Celebrated there during the 2006 World Cup. Never hugged so many men before in my life. lol

Old 08-01-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
I have several Italian friends from Italy. Italians love NYC. The ones that can stay here do. The thing is the Italians from Italy generally stay in Manhattan if they can afford it, otherwise they go to Astoria or other hip places. Now if they have family in the outer boroughs, they will go to Morris Park, or other Italian-American enclaves, and of course Staten Island. The good news is Dyker Heights, Mill Basin and Bergen Beach are still holding on outside of places like Country Club, Pelham Bay, Throggs Neck and Howard Beach. Bay Terrace out in Queens also has a sizable Italian population, but it's like Whitestone and other parts of Northeast Queens. Ethnic whites (Greeks, Irish, etc.) with growing Asian populations. Middle Village is great too. Celebrated there during the 2006 World Cup. Never hugged so many men before in my life. lol

Yeah, that is why was sort of keen to get the opinions from the Italian teens. Did speak with their counselor, she wanted to make sure the M79 stopped at Broadway and 79th as they needed the #1 train downtown. Seems a trip to Century 21 was *highly* requested. *LOL*

Was watching Moonstruck the other night, and cannot believe how much Brooklyn has changed since. It came out in 1987, but that is *thirty years* ago now. Bensonhurst and Bayridge have changed as well since Saturday Night Fever came out, which is now over forty years past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLgV3ynglzg

Old 08-01-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that is why was sort of keen to get the opinions from the Italian teens. Did speak with their counselor, she wanted to make sure the M79 stopped at Broadway and 79th as they needed the #1 train downtown. Seems a trip to Century 21 was *highly* requested. *LOL*

Was watching Moonstruck the other night, and cannot believe how much Brooklyn has changed since. It came out in 1987, but that is *thirty years* ago now. Bensonhurst and Bayridge have changed as well since Saturday Night Fever came out, which is now over forty years past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLgV3ynglzg
Bay Ridge is one of the last parts of South Brooklyn that has that old school Brooklyn feel. Still a lovely neighborhood that hasn't been invaded by hispters. Plenty of Italian-Americams still there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City