Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 07:54 AM

5,427 posts, read 5,661,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
This is very true. What I find funny is that women in America control the vote. How the hell did Trump win and majority of American voters are women?
Actually, the 2016 election results show that more white women voted for Trump than Hillary. The media doesn't really like to report on this fact since it doesn't fit the narrative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 07:54 AM

12,742 posts, read 8,187,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
The people I went to high school with who are NYPD now seem to love it. After a few years the salary is pretty good, plus the benefits are good. But it's a job where you have to arrest people and all that, which many people are not comfortable doing.
Like they have much of a choice. You can either be miserable or make the best of it. The pay SUCKS initially and quite frankly if they don't do it, it's join the army. Most of these guys simply can't cut it in the white collar world. I meet very few cops that aren't cranky and miserable. Just think about it. On days like this when it's hot as hell out, you have to be out patrolling the savages who go crazy in this weather. I'd much rather be in my comfy white collar job in nice AC as I am now.

Old 07-27-2018, 07:55 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,401,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Absolute integration is impossible.

Southerners for example are very different from New Yorkers, who are very different from MidWesterners. There is, and there never will be an uniform absolute culture in any country of any significant size.

Also people have different religions (or none). It's ridiculous to try to pretend we're all alike, when we aren't or never will be.

People will have to learn to accept the differences of others. Period.
Not to mention our extreme political differences which have divided the country for centuries. In all seriousness, I think a Trump supporter from Staten Island would get along with a Trump supporter from Kentucky more than he or she would with a Hillary Clinton supporter from any of the boroughs.

Old 07-27-2018, 07:56 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,847,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by propman-nyc View Post
"Diverse" workplaces are not about having a bunch of people who look different but think the same. Diversity is about having a bunch of people who think differently regardless of what they look like.
  • Spanish speaking people are not minorities in global cities because there are more Spanish speaking people in the world than English.
  • Chinese people are not minorities in global cities because Chinese is the most prevelent language around the world and China is the most populous country in the world.
  • India is up there as another one of the most populous countries in the world and they are not a minority in NYC because this is a global city.
  • Females are not a minority anywhere in the world because there are more females than males. In the USA there are more females than there are males so the females are not minorities.
  • Females have more jobs in the USA than men do so they are not minorities in the workplace.
  • In the USA females have more college degrees than men and we have more female students then male students. So females are not minorities at colleges.
  • In the USA females and minorities get more scholarships than males so the female and minority groups are not at all minorities.
Minorities have nothing to do with sheer numbers. The political and economic establishment in American cities has never historically be Latino, East Asian, Indian, and it's only been recent women have entered politics in large numbers.

Old 07-27-2018, 08:01 AM

11,192 posts, read 9,019,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Some of them are chocolate themselves or even charcoal black so it would basically be them hating black folks when many of them look just as black if not darker. I see that too with black police officers. They've been historically oppressed, then they get a little power and turn around and oppress blacks and other minorities to make themselves feel better. This is why having more minorities as police officers won't matter unless they aren't racist against other black and brown and yellow people.
Go to DR and see how they treat chocolate Haitians! It will be an eye opener for you.

I remember visiting 7 years ago for a wedding at Punta Cana and did a bus tour. The tour guide who was a caramel color individual made a comment like: "if you look to the right you can see a safari" It was a group of dark chocolate individuals ridding on a back of a truck.

You also have to remember the machismo factor. There are some that are homophobic or hateful towards gay dudes, pretty boys or men that don't act like they do.

Old 07-27-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Go to DR and see how they treat chocolate Haitians! It will be an eye opener for you.

I remember visiting 7 years ago for a wedding at Punta Cana and did a bus tour. The tour guide who was a caramel color individual made a comment like: "if you look to the right you can see a safari" It was a group of dark chocolate individuals ridding on a back of a truck.

You also have to remember the machismo factor. There are some that are homophobic or hateful towards gay dudes, pretty boys or men that don't act like they do.
Oh I know all about it. I remember in college we were taking the college shuttle bus to the mall. I was seated in the back with some Dominicans. The minute some dark skinned black folks got in, this Dominican guy started hurling racist comments in Spanish, and the Dominican chicks laughed because they thought it was cute. When I got back to my dorm I told my roommate who was Dominican about his friend. I'm like your buddy is racist, then explained what happened, and he brushed it aside as if it was likely just a joke.

I think some of them just think it's cool to make such comments not realizing how racist it is. Later I found out that he thought the people getting in were Haitians. Either that or he assumed that because they were dark skinned they automatically had to be Haitians and thus were hated. As I've said many times now, I think the younger generation of Dominicans are a bit more open minded, realizing that they too face the same discrimination here in the US as other groups, no matter how loud they speak in Spanish. The racist folks just categorize them as black folks that speak Spanish, and believe me I've seen some Dominicans that were black as the ace of spades. lol

Then they speak in Spanish and look at me for approval as if to say, see I speak Spanish, I'm not black. LOL

Old 07-27-2018, 08:30 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,317,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Well it does explain the somewhat height challenged nature of NYPD one has seen of late. Eastern Europeans are one thing (they are known for being tall), but the rest from Latin America, Asia, and so forth....

Am not expecting the Boston Celtics, but these days most NYPD (especially young officers) seem barely 5" 7" .

Since SE Asians have virtually taken over PEA, you notice quite a lot of height challenged officers as well. Often the uniforms barely look as if they fit; rather like a kid is wearing his father's uniform or something. Doesn't the NYPD have a good uniform supplier?

It's been quite awhile now. Many ten years ago I would be getting on the bus where I guess a lot of the academy people would be getting on and I was towering over more than 95% of them. I am pretty tall for a female but not insanely tall and honestly I felt like I could take down most of them without trying to hard. Sorry to say that quite a few didn't look to be in great shape either.

Quote:
Most Americans don't want to work as cops, not unless their parents were cops or they had family members that were cops. The pay isn't all that hot until you get some years under your belt and many simply think it's beneath them. I have a high school friend who is a cop and a few others from college are NYPD officers. One of them moans about the job endlessly. Wouldn't be surprised if he retires early.

Everyone I know complains (because that's what you're supposed to do) and then lives well on all of the OT. Every single one that I've known who was on the force twenty years retired and got a second job, except one who promptly moved to Florida, and lived pretty well.

Old 07-27-2018, 08:33 AM

11,192 posts, read 9,019,479 times
Quote:
Most Americans don't want to work as cops, not unless their parents were cops or they had family members that were cops. The pay isn't all that hot until you get some years under your belt and many simply think it's beneath them. I have a high school friend who is a cop and a few others from college are NYPD officers. One of them moans about the job endlessly. Wouldn't be surprised if he retires early.
I had friends in high school that were anti-cops. I mean everytime that they saw a cop it was Bacon, Pigs, etc. It was strange since we were pretty much nerds. I didn't understand the hostility.

Can you guess their profession today??

Old 07-27-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Everyone I know complains (because that's what you're supposed to do) and then lives well on all of the OT. Every single one that I've known who was on the force twenty years retired and got a second job, except one who promptly moved to Florida, and lived pretty well.
Exactly. My friend already is living out on Long Island and is married (moved from Howard Beach a few years ago - didn't grow up there though), but he complains about having to work OT as if he isn't being paid. I guess it's all of the taxes they take out, but what else is new... I guess I would be cranky too though if I lived on Long Island and had to drive in that horrendous traffic on the Belt all the way to Bay Ridge for work.

Old 07-27-2018, 08:34 AM

779 posts, read 999,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Illegal immigrants are accepting the low paying jobs at wages and long hours that no reasonable person would.

You have born Americans that have a victim's mentality or feel that certain jobs are beneath them.
Not too sure what undocumented immigrants have to do with this, as you have to be a legal to work for the city.

Thanks, your second line answers a lot of questions on this forum altogether.

Quote:
Most Americans don't want to work as cops, not unless their parents were cops or they had family members that were cops. The pay isn't all that hot until you get some years under your belt and many simply think it's beneath them.
If most Americans don't want to work as cops, and mostly immigrants are hired to protect this city, can you imagine what that means for our military as well? Very patriotic of Americans to consistently blame and pounce on immigrants, but don't want to do the dirty work themselves.

I think that goes for majority of jobs, pay isn't all that until you put some years in, that's considered normal. Just like a star basketball or football player doesn't start with 30 million a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City