Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 04:58 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,613,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krb212 View Post
Asking for tips Has gotten out of control! Recently I saw a tip jar at a Western Union check cashing place! Even on those iPad apps that the cashier turns around to you after ordering takeout or picking a few cupcakes out. Seriously? Everyone wants an extra dollar or two on the street or even if you’re waiting on line at Starbucks someone asks you for money or to buy them a pastry. Before you enter a McDonald’s someone holds the door open for you and asks for money. It’s everywhere! Fresh Direct, prime now wants $5 tip per order, counter people for ringing up a purchase, taxis, homeless, etc
So what... ban tipping?

Ban everything!

Next thread title will be banning things in NYC is out of control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 10:17 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,262,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I recall back in the day, you tipped for table service, not counter service. Now you can't go anywhere without a tip jar being around or the tip essentially being expected just for taking an order. I ordered a cortado a little while ago from Joe Coffee. The cashier was nice and pleasant, but seemed to be that way so that people would tip her. I found it off putting because being courteous should be expected. When I have a customer that I'm taking care of I'm always courteous and certainly don't expect anything for essentially doing my job. Discuss...
Ask George Costanza about that one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svWjtDhGQFg

Old 08-14-2018, 10:18 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Ask George Costanza about that one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svWjtDhGQFg
LMAO... Hilarious...

Old 08-14-2018, 11:18 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
So what... ban tipping?

Ban everything!

Next thread title will be banning things in NYC is out of control.
Actually excessive tipping and expectations of receiving a tip - just for doing your job- is very problematic. NyWriterDude had a point that it’s akin to bribery. In countries where bribery is common, expected and an accepted part of the culture, nothing gets done unless you *do* bribe.

For example my cousin is in town from a “develoing country” He was saying how challenging it is to get anything done becase everyone expects extra money. That you in fact need to have two budgets, the cost of the service and your bribe budget.

Even when you deal with officials, you’re still not safe becase you need spare money on hand to make sure he or she doesn’t create a bigger problem for you. Get stopped by the police, better have some spare bills on hand. Need to go to the electric company to pay your electricity bill, better make sure you have extra money added to ensure payment is processed promptly to avoid shut off.

That’s exactly why tipping can become a problem. Especially when people start expecting to revive extra money just for doing their job.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:31 PM

72 posts, read 43,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NycLaidBack View Post
It’s only considered out of control if the costumer is cheap.

From what I see, only people who worked a job that involved tip, understand the importance of it.
If it becomes the expectation where you really had to pay tips for take-out at the counter, I'd rather get it delivered instead and pay the tip to the delivery guy. In that case, the delivery person brings it to me while I chill at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: