Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 11:20 PM

179 posts, read 109,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post

I'll just sit back and watch what happens.

It's happening --288 Snediker sold for 750K back in January 2700 sqf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
It would be pretty tough to gentrified Brownville and East NY unless you remove the housing projects. You might have gentrified spots within the hoodish areas.
[quote=BugsyPal;52651710]Both of which are in Manhattan which is a plus for a start.

Brownsville has been a slum/hood for nearly all of it's existence, something that never applied to east nor west Harlem. In fact both areas have and had the bones of good areas until white flight and other factors caused changes.

Lots of good housing stock in Brownsville -- some row house blocks look like Windsor Terrace --others more like Bensonhurst -- probably put up by the same builders.

[quote=Mr.Retired;52654299]

A concentrated section of Brownsville is completely impoverished.
From Ralph to Pennsylvania ave and East NY to Livonia ave.
Riddled with Housing Projects from Brownsville,Howard,Tilden,Van Dyke,Langston ,Glenmore which contains
some of the city's poorest and the highest crime.

2017: 972 Assaults 804 Thefts 226 Robberies 83 Burglary 31 Shootings

Over 54% below poverty line. Less than $20,000 per year.

True but Nehemiah residents have been gentrifying the side streets for 30 years.

This is a crapshoot for some wealthy Realty LLC's .
They would have never built here if they were looking out for your best interest. Crime facts speak volumes.
The correct way to develop is to bring business along with high paying jobs to the neighborhood. Like Amazon.
When the neighborhood has the opportunity to sweat for cash by working amazing things happen.
Until then, consider yourself a pioneer if you are willing to live here for the sake of saving a few bucks.

Take a ride down Pennsylvania ave from the Jakie Robinson all the way to the Belt Parkway.
Observe all the beautiful turn of the century brick one and 2 family homes. All the beautiful architecture of the business structures
only for all to be obscured by security gates barred windows,doors and fences.
This my friend said it all.

Things are changing there on the East Side of Brownsville -- lots of middle class buyers are coming in. I recently had some work to do at the old Thomas Jefferson campus -- walked down Pennsylvania from the A train and took the C to Van Siclen to see if taking the side streets was shorter never would have done that 30 years ago when I was working further west in Browntown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I feel like East New York could gentrify before Brownsville

Gentrification is coming into Brownsville from both the west and east sides -- Africans, West Indians, African Americans,Latinos and Bangladeshis --all sorts of middle class folks are buying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Holy Crap! Prospect Plaza......................Ewwwwwwww. One of the first projects I ever stepped foot in.
Right off Eastern Parkway. Nasty.. nasty.. nasty.......Fraggin urinal............
Not Shocked to hear it finally boarded up. Good riddance.
Corner of Howard and St Marks is just a few minutes walk from Ralph and Fulton --tremendous changes in that area -- I believe Shosanarose has seen the changes there --

Gentrification in Brownsville is not driven by young single people but rather families seeking affordable homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 01:52 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
[quote=McVinney;52676994]It's happening --288 Snediker sold for 750K back in January 2700 sqf.

[quote=BugsyPal;52651710]Both of which are in Manhattan which is a plus for a start.

Brownsville has been a slum/hood for nearly all of it's existence, something that never applied to east nor west Harlem. In fact both areas have and had the bones of good areas until white flight and other factors caused changes.

Lots of good housing stock in Brownsville -- some row house blocks look like Windsor Terrace --others more like Bensonhurst -- probably put up by the same builders.

Quote:

Riddled with Housing Projects from Brownsville,Howard,Tilden,Van Dyke,Langston ,Glenmore which contains

True but Nehemiah residents have been gentrifying the side streets for 30 years.

They would have never built here if they were looking out for your best interest. Crime facts speak volumes.
The correct way to develop is to bring business along with high paying jobs to the neighborhood. Like Amazon.
When the neighborhood has the opportunity to sweat for cash by working amazing things happen.
Until then, consider yourself a pioneer if you are willing to live here for the sake of saving a few bucks.

Take a ride down Pennsylvania ave from the Jakie Robinson all the way to the Belt Parkway.
Observe all the beautiful turn of the century brick one and 2 family homes. All the beautiful architecture of the business structures

Things are changing there on the East Side of Brownsville -- lots of middle class buyers are coming in. I recently had some work to do at the old Thomas Jefferson campus -- walked down Pennsylvania from the A train and took the C to Van Siclen to see if taking the side streets was shorter never would have done that 30 years ago when I was working further west in Browntown.

Gentrification is coming into Brownsville from both the west and east sides -- Africans, West Indians, African Americans,Latinos and Bangladeshis --all sorts of middle class folks are buying.

Corner of Howard and St Marks is just a few minutes walk from Ralph and Fulton --tremendous changes in that area -- I believe Shosanarose has seen the changes there --

Gentrification in Brownsville is not driven by young single people but rather families seeking affordable homes.
I would say the Nehemiah houses actually slow down gentrification if anything. Gentrifiers seem to prefer rowhomes that are flush with the sidewalk

Old 08-02-2018, 06:46 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,595,455 times
[quote=McVinney;52676994]It's happening --288 Snediker sold for 750K back in January 2700 sqf.

Quote:

Ralph and Fulton is in Bed-Stuy.
I worked there about 12 years ago.
It wasn't bad even then.

Old 08-02-2018, 06:49 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,595,455 times
Quote:
City Line is part of East New York, right?
So I worked in the "City Line"/East New York/Euclid Avenue subway stop area for a few weeks.

I felt fine there in the daytime.
It appears to be a working class/lower working class neighborhood with plenty of houses/attached houses, etc.

There are projects not that far but not right there.

That area has plenty of basic stores: pharmacies, bodegas, Bangladeshi and Latin restaurants, etc.
The convenience to the A train (at Euclid Avenue) which gets you into Manhattan pretty quickly even though the distance is a bit far, leads me to believe the area could gentrify.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:09 AM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
So I worked in the "City Line"/East New York/Euclid Avenue subway stop area for a few weeks.

I felt fine there in the daytime.
It appears to be a working class/lower working class neighborhood with plenty of houses/attached houses, etc.

There are projects not that far but not right there.

That area has plenty of basic stores: pharmacies, bodegas, Bangladeshi and Latin restaurants, etc.
The convenience to the A train (at Euclid Avenue) which gets you into Manhattan pretty quickly even though the distance is a bit far, leads me to believe the area could gentrify.
Euclid Avenue is actually the border of City Line

City Line is between Euclid Avenue and the Queens border

Boundaries are Belt pkwy, Queens border, Atlantic Avenue, Euclid Avenue

So if you worked west of Euclid, you worked in ENY proper

If you worked east of Euclid, you worked in City Line, which is a subsection of ENY

I won't comment if its "good" or "bad" because everybody has different comfort levels

Personally I'm comfortable night or day in the area, but I wouldn't live there because I'm not too fond of the housing stock

Most of what's there is old and hasnt been kept up.

Some parts of City Line look a little run-down

Major graffiti problem in City Line too

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-02-2018, 07:45 AM

[quote=Shoshanarose;52678280]
Quote:
Originally Posted by

[B
Ralph and Fulton is in Bed-Stuy.
I worked there about 12 years ago.
It wasn't bad even then.
[/b]
Agreed -- I brought up that location to support the idea that money is coming into Brownsville from both the east and west sides.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:10 AM

[quote=l1995;52677365]
Quote:
Originally Posted by McVinney View Post
[b]

I would say the Nehemiah houses actually slow down gentrification if anything. Gentrifiers seem to prefer rowhomes that are flush with the sidewalk

Yes many seem to prefer that style but 30 years ago prospective buyers in many areas wanted a gated parking space directly in front of their house.

By way of example are the houses on Amboy street built in 1986 -- this type of housing provided a little "insurance" against the storm raging outside.

Old 08-02-2018, 12:27 PM

329 posts, read 299,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I believe that is City Line
THAT'S East New York

Old 08-02-2018, 12:31 PM

329 posts, read 299,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Euclid Avenue is actually the border of City Line

City Line is between Euclid Avenue and the Queens border

Boundaries are Belt pkwy, Queens border, Atlantic Avenue, Euclid Avenue

So if you worked west of Euclid, you worked in ENY proper

If you worked east of Euclid, you worked in City Line, which is a subsection of ENY

I won't comment if its "good" or "bad" because everybody has different comfort levels

Personally I'm comfortable night or day in the area, but I wouldn't live there because I'm not too fond of the housing stock

Most of what's there is old and hasnt been kept up.

Some parts of City Line look a little run-down

Major graffiti problem in City Line too
i would start City Line from Crescent street, and Liberty ave , until Ozone Park. All in all, its still East New York

Old 08-02-2018, 01:15 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
[quote=McVinney;52679058]
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post

Yes many seem to prefer that style but 30 years ago prospective buyers in many areas wanted a gated parking space directly in front of their house.

By way of example are the houses on Amboy street built in 1986 -- this type of housing provided a little "insurance" against the storm raging outside.
Right, it seems like the rebuilding back then (in both Brooklyn and The Bronx) was geared toward a fake suburban style like that. That didn't seem to change until the 00s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City