U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 10:28 AM

11,449 posts, read 9,309,226 times

Advertisements

Despite my frequent adventures throughout NYC, I've rarely been to upper Manhattan. But last night I hung out in Hamilton Heights and I loved it!

The architecture is great, seems like it's almost all brownstones and historic mid rise buildings. None of that Fedders House crap that you find all over the outer boroughs. Like an even better version of the West Bronx basically! And I'm curious, are most brownstones in Manhattan functionally small (3-4 family) apartment buildings?

As for demographics, I was surprised. It was even more Hispanic heavy (seemed like mostly Dominicans and some Mexicans) than I was expecting, and not that black. East Harlem is known as "Spanish" Harlem, but it seems like HH is just as Latino heavy. Are there even any parts of Harlem that are heavily black and not that Hispanic or white?

It seems like the neighborhood has an "old school" vibe, lots of Dominican and Puerto Rican guys playing dominoes on the side walk. There is visible gentrification in the neighborhood but I don't find the neighborhood to be that gentrified yet. I find the neighborhood to only be a tad ratchet (definitely within my comfort level).

I went past a couple bars and stopped in one and goddamn were they packed! Worse than the bars I go to Downtown, presumably because there aren't as many in Harlem but the neighborhood is still very dense and there are lots of people who want to drink of course. If any of you have recommendations for bars in the area, I'd love to hear them.

The one thing I didn't like about the neighborhood was that the businesses seemed to do that thing where they pretend the bathroom is out of order, that really annoys me. I would expect that in parts of Lower Manhattan where junkies are known to hang out, but to see this that far uptown disappointed me. I don't even have this problem in the bad parts of Brooklyn like East New York. I understand they don't want junkies shooting up in their bathrooms, but paying customers deserve to have a bathroom to use.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 10:36 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,419,821 times
The stereotype I've heard is the demographic is more Latin going west of St Nicholas Ave and more AA going east.

Old 08-05-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
The stereotype I've heard is the demographic is more Latin going west of St Nicholas Ave and more AA going east.
Ahh okay, I was mostly West of St Nicholas or on it.

Old 08-05-2018, 04:53 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,290,083 times
My wife used to go to City College and we worshipped at St Lukes Episcopal on Convent and 141. If I had a million I would grab a brownstone in that area.

Old 08-05-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
My wife used to go to City College and we worshipped at St Lukes Episcopal on Convent and 141. If I had a million I would grab a brownstone in that area.
They're "only" 1 million dollars?

And do those brownstones tend to be 4 family units?

Old 08-05-2018, 05:03 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,290,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post

Im sure I can get something nice with a million. I spent time in HS with my best friend who lived on 118st off of Lenox in a Brownstone. They had a one family with a cellar, sub cellar, servants entrance floor, formal first floor, bedrooms on second and third floors. A professional African American family Harlem residents since the twenties. Love Brownstones and back in the 90s you could get one for 250k. Well I was a teen then and had no money.

Old 08-05-2018, 05:20 PM

12,053 posts, read 6,667,968 times
Quote:

Actually some are going far more than one million, especially below 125th street. I would say you can get something for one million if it needs work and is above 125th street.

Old 08-05-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Im sure I can get something nice with a million. I spent time in HS with my best friend who lived on 118st off of Lenox in a Brownstone. They had a one family with a cellar, sub cellar, servants entrance floor, formal first floor, bedrooms on second and third floors. A professional African American family Harlem residents since the twenties. Love Brownstones and back in the 90s you could get one for 250k. Well I was a teen then and had no money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Actually some are going far more than one million, especially below 125th street. I would say you can get something for one million if it needs work and is above 125th street.
Wow, I would have thought the Hamilton Heights ones would already be 2 million +

I would do some research on this right now, but it's not like I'll ever be able to afford them

Old 08-05-2018, 05:33 PM

2,900 posts, read 1,717,768 times
Quote:
Despite my frequent adventures throughout NYC, I've rarely been to upper Manhattan. But last night I hung out in Hamilton Heights and I loved it!

The architecture is great, seems like it's almost all brownstones and historic mid rise buildings. None of that Fedders House crap that you find all over the outer boroughs. Like an even better version of the West Bronx basically! And I'm curious, are most brownstones in Manhattan functionally small (3-4 family) apartment buildings?

As for demographics, I was surprised. It was even more Hispanic heavy (seemed like mostly Dominicans and some Mexicans) than I was expecting, and not that black. East Harlem is known as "Spanish" Harlem, but it seems like HH is just as Latino heavy. Are there even any parts of Harlem that are heavily black and not that Hispanic or white?

It seems like the neighborhood has an "old school" vibe, lots of Dominican and Puerto Rican guys playing dominoes on the side walk. There is visible gentrification in the neighborhood but I don't find the neighborhood to be that gentrified yet. I find the neighborhood to only be a tad ratchet (definitely within my comfort level).

I went past a couple bars and stopped in one and goddamn were they packed! Worse than the bars I go to Downtown, presumably because there aren't as many in Harlem but the neighborhood is still very dense and there are lots of people who want to drink of course. If any of you have recommendations for bars in the area, I'd love to hear them.

The one thing I didn't like about the neighborhood was that the businesses seemed to do that thing where they pretend the bathroom is out of order, that really annoys me. I would expect that in parts of Lower Manhattan where junkies are known to hang out, but to see this that far uptown disappointed me. I don't even have this problem in the bad parts of Brooklyn like East New York. I understand they don't want junkies shooting up in their bathrooms, but paying customers deserve to have a bathroom to use.
Central Harlem is clearly heavily black and central Harlem is where a lot of African immigrants live!

Dominicans and Puerto Rican’s don’t out number blacks on 116th or 125th, Malcom X or Adam Clayton Blvd!

Old 08-05-2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Central Harlem is clearly heavily black and central Harlem is where a lot of African immigrants live!

Dominicans and Puerto Rican’s don’t out number blacks on 116th or 125th, Malcom X or Adam Clayton Blvd!
I have heard of the African presence in lower Central Harlem. I'm thinking of heading there for some Senegalese food
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City