Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 03:44 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,475,610 times

Advertisements

So I hung out in Kingsbridge/Van Cortland Village the other day and really loved the neighborhood. I've been in that area before, but didn't spend as much time there that time. I found that it felt very much like The Bronx still, but without the very run down feeling a lot of Bronx neighborhoods have. The mix of urbanity, hilliness, lots of trees, I really liked. I could definitely live there.

So, some of my other thoughts

Do ANY of the businesses in Kingsbridge have Kingsbridge in the name and not Riverdale? I would not be surprised if there being so many Riverdale named businesses in Kingsbridge further perpetuates confusion about neighborhood names. What neighborhood would people living on say, Bailey Ave most likely identify with? I hear people refer to Fordham as "Kingsbridge", so I wonder if those same people think anything West of Jerome Ave and North of Kingsbridge Road is "Riverdale".

And do these neighborhoods get dangerous to navigate by on foot in the winter time with all those hills and staircases? In nice weather I don't mind them at all, but in the winter with all the snow and ice, I wonder if it would be different.

Also, feel free to share any cool restaurants, bars, or other gems in the neigbhorhood. The only place I went to so far was the Bronx Ale House, which I really liked. I like how they had so many local beers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 04:54 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,683,201 times
I like those areas, too. There is a nice Mitchell Lama near Van Cortlandt Park South if anyone is interested... Amalgamated Houses.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:07 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,475,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
I like those areas, too. There is a nice Mitchell Lama near Van Cortlandt Park South if anyone is interested... Amalgamated Houses.
Bluedog2 told me about those, I was considering applying before but now I definitely will. I know it's a pretty long wait time, but that's okay, it gives me time to save up.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:20 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,630,720 times
I love that the trees are so big over there and I love the hills too. I assume living there is not very convenient though because it's so cut off--from Broadway by the highway and the hill, and by the reservoir on the other side. I guess you'd go to Broadway for the subway?

We've been here, which is in Kingsbridge across the highway. https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8784...7i13312!8i6656
It used to be called Piper's Kilt (they have one in Inwood) but they changed the name of both of them and I don't know what it's called now. We went for the food (they have the best onion rings).

Old 08-02-2018, 05:32 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,285,065 times
Van Cortlandt Village is NOT in Kingsbridge, but rather is a subsection of Kingsbridge Heights. Anything that is east of Broadway in that area up to Van Cortlandt Park would fall under that Van Cortlandt Village/Kingsbridge Heights name. More specifically Van Cortlandt Village starts up by Van Cortlandt Park just to the south and east of the park, and continues south near the reservoir.

As for names, I would say people definitely identify with Van Cortlandt Village and you can see some store signs with some hint of the name in it. Kingsbridge Heights proper is a different story IMO. It is the more seedier part of the area. There I could see people just saying they live in the Bronx or West Bronx. Van Cortlandt Village while a subsection of Kingsbridge Heights almost functions like its own neighborhood. Lots of families and young professionals moving there, including people from Manhattan looking for more space for a better price (compared to where they were).

As for the whole Riverdale name, no one that I've heard thinks they live anywhere near Riverdale. I have spoken with people in the area that clearly know where they live and remark that Riverdale is beautiful and that they would live there if they could afford it, but they understand that it is up in the hills and that they don't live in the area. The only thing that people will remark about is them being in Riverdale as in the shopping district along Broadway. For living though, most understand that Riverdale proper is up the hills and north of 242nd on Broadway, north and west of said road.

The people that actually live in Kingsbridge know that they do and are fine with it. West of Broadway, Kingsbridge is a cheaper alternative to its "rich uncle" as the joke goes. Kingsbridge is very much the Bronx. Close to the subway, and mainly safe, though some parts that are more dense closer to subway aren't as desirable given the noise, density, etc.

As was said previously, the only reason for the confusion is because of greedy landlords trying to jack up the prices in Kingsbridge because of its proximity to Riverdale. In fact rents have shot up considerably in that neighborhood and were in some cases just slightly cheaper than places in Riverdale. Now that rents are coming back to earth, prices while still high for the area that is historically been working class are somewhat where they should be. $1300-1400 for studios and $1400-1600 for one bedrooms.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 08-02-2018 at 05:52 AM..

Old 08-02-2018, 07:10 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,770,890 times
I was in that area last Summer. Looked pretty good.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:20 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
There are two old-fashioned Jewish delis in the area that are both pretty good if you are into such—though like all of them, the prices have been going up. Liebman’s I feel is somewhat better than the other, Loeser’s, but that might be chalked up to preference.

I remember Piper’s Kilt in Inwood and that their onion rings and burgers were very good.

There is also an old diner that is very, very diner-like called Land and Sea. You’re not there for an amazing meal, but it’s a nice place to end up late at night.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:48 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,630,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
There are two old-fashioned Jewish delis in the area that are both pretty good if you are into such—though like all of them, the prices have been going up. Liebman’s I feel is somewhat better than the other, Loeser’s, but that might be chalked up to preference.

I remember Piper’s Kilt in Inwood and that their onion rings and burgers were very good.

There is also an old diner that is very, very diner-like called Land and Sea. You’re not there for an amazing meal, but it’s a nice place to end up late at night.
Eh, I was very underwhelmed by Land and Sea, but I only went there once and it was a looong time ago.

I'm trying to remember what the Piper's Kilt is called now...the Crabby or Cubby something? I haven't been in since it changed owners -- hopefully the main change is the name.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:50 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Eh, I was very underwhelmed by Land and Sea, but I only went there once and it was a looong time ago.

I'm trying to remember what the Piper's Kilt is called now...the Crabby or Cubby something? I haven't been in since it changed owners -- hopefully the main change is the name.
Land and Sea isn’t good for the food—it’s good because it’s a sit-down that’s open late.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:34 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,615,298 times
I like Land and Sea, I try to make people who want to see NYC walk up from 168th to 230th and we'll stop there for a hot chocolate before decided what else to do. Often a pit stop at the Target on 225th because of the free bathrooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City