Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 05:49 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,477,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Why would that happen?

If one is careful to run the thing after each dumping of food, and keep it clean a drain with GD is nor more likely to attract bugs than one without.

As we discussed in another thread few weeks ago; bugs in drains are coming "up" from sewer or otherwise. That is unless one has a really badly infested home and roaches have discovered a food source.
That's the thing, all it takes is one person to screw things up I would think
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 05:50 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,545,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I think you misunderstood him. He was saying that most rowhomes/apartments in Philly have AC in the windows (as opposed to central air) like in NYC
Hmm. Okay. But just because there’s an AC in the window doesn’t mean it’s a normal amenity.

Old 08-12-2018, 05:55 PM

198 posts, read 119,238 times
I think the thread should be retitled, "Reasons Why It's F***ing Ridiculous for New York to Be Considered A World Class City". LOL

Also, anyone who keeps their wood floors exposed and subjects their downstairs neighbors to the horrible resulting noise is a sadist. (I have wall to wall carpeting)

Old 08-12-2018, 05:59 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,343,192 times
Hmm, let’s see, not really “amenities”, but some things I can think of:

-closets inside the bedroom
-bedrooms large enough to fit an (adult sized) bedroom set in
-living room, in particular living rooms big enough to go actual stuff in (so many “living rooms” I’ve seen are just glorified hallways!)
-kitchen counter space (at least enough to put a dish drainer and coffee maker on!)
-built in toilet paper holder (before moving to NYC, I never had to buy a separate toilet paper stand)
-outdoor space (granted, I grew up in Boston where triple deckers with actual decks/porches were common)

Old 08-12-2018, 06:00 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,477,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riact View Post
I think the thread should be retitled, "Reasons Why It's F***ing Ridiculous for New York to Be Considered A World Class City". LOL

Also, anyone who keeps their wood floors exposed and subjects their downstairs neighbors to the horrible resulting noise is a sadist. (I have wall to wall carpeting)
Most of the American cities that have these amenities are far from world class. On site parking, central air, etc. are signs of a sprawl city

Old 08-12-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Most of the American cities that have these amenities are far from world class. On site parking, central air, etc. are signs of a sprawl city
Agree. Or suburb.

Old 08-12-2018, 06:06 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,954,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riact View Post

Plenty of persons living in older buildings with hardwood floors world over do not lay down wall to wall carpeting. Some don't even put down rugs.

Watched a French television series about people living in one of those grand Haussmann apartment buildings in Paris, France.

One woman fed up with noise from upstairs neighbor (feet/heels, dog, etc..) were making on the floors (her ceilings), she wrote a simple and polite note asking her neighbor to knock it off.

Several days later a response came via the neighbor's attorney. Madame just had her floors redone and polished the letter stated, Further more she was *not* not going to "ruin" them for sake of the complainer's wishes.

Old 08-12-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Plenty of persons living in older buildings with hardwood floors world over do not lay down wall to wall carpeting. Some don't even put down rugs.

Watched a French television series about people living in one of those grand Haussmann apartment buildings in Paris, France.

One woman fed up with noise from upstairs neighbor (feet/heels, dog, etc..) were making on the floors (her ceilings), she wrote a simple and polite note asking her neighbor to knock it off.

Several days later a response came via the neighbor's attorney. Madame just had her floors redone and polished the letter stated, Further more she was *not* not going to "ruin" them for sake of the complainer's wishes.
Funny!!

Old 08-12-2018, 06:29 PM

198 posts, read 119,238 times
My point is that in a world class city, things like central air and washer/dryer in apartment should be standard. But no, we don't get them.

Old 08-12-2018, 06:42 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,954,113 times
Quote:
That's the thing, all it takes is one person to screw things up I would think

How many people you have in your home?

As kids were weren't allowed to operate any of the disposers in our or family member's houses. Stuff just remained down there until mom, dad, grandma or whoever came in and took care of business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City