Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 10:54 AM

254 posts, read 391,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
There should not be a cap.

I never take yellow cabs anymore. Anytime I would, the car would smell, ac hardly worked, the driver would be in a bad mood and it would cost more.

In Lyft or Uber, I get a new, clean car that comes right to me with a typically happy driver. The ac is cool and they often have water bottles or mints and a news paper. I then pay less than I did for a yellow cab.

The whole yellow cab medallion thing was one big scheme anyway. I’m glad it crashed and burned.
You'll still get that. Capping means having a limit, not ridding of. Nobody's taking away your AC, water bottle and mints lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 11:01 AM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
There should not be a cap.

I never take yellow cabs anymore. Anytime I would, the car would smell, ac hardly worked, the driver would be in a bad mood and it would cost more.

In Lyft or Uber, I get a new, clean car that comes right to me with a typically happy driver. The ac is cool and they often have water bottles or mints and a news paper. I then pay less than I did for a yellow cab.

The whole yellow cab medallion thing was one big scheme anyway. I’m glad it crashed and burned.
Don’t forget Doritos, Gum, Gatorade, Aux Port for music, USB charging

Old 08-07-2018, 12:53 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
They need to have a cap and I'm sure Uber drivers wouid want one too because without a cap, it's hurting their business. Too many cars chasing the same piece of cheese is no fun. That's why I'm seeing more NY plate Uber cars in NJ because they can't get enough business in NYC and their hourly rate is dropping.

If there are no cap, in a few years there will be regulation requiring where Uber cars can pickup which already is in place in many places.

You can take an uber during rush hour and it would take forever to go 20 blocks and cost your $6 while I can take the subway and get there in 10mins. Ubers, taxis, trucks, already clog up bridge and tunnel traffic.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:59 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,355,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
We need to encourage car pooling or public transportation. It is simply unsustainable to have all of these people clogging up the roads with just one person in a car, and some of these people like to use the excuse that public transportation is poor. They will use any excuse because they simply want to drive, and as I said that's fine, but they can pay for the privilege to do so. We also need congestion pricing. It is long overdue.

When you work off shift hours, let me know how that public transit works for you.

It's TERRIBLE.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:07 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
When you work off shift hours, let me know how that public transit works for you.

It's TERRIBLE.
I don't work 9-5 and lots of other people don't either. That's no excuse to have our streets congested year round now. It used to be that during the summer months once the kids were out of school, we got relief traffic wise, but no more. I am SICK of these damn Ubers and other taxis flying down my block at all hours, making U-turns, idling and loitering in the neighborhood. They need to be limited, and I say this as someone who depends on Uber to get from meetings and the like at odd hours. I'm willing to wait 5-10 minutes longer if it deters such situations and pay a little more as well. Besides, everything is on the app. You can see EXACTLY where your car is so you aren't exposed to the elements, and they give you a rough estimate of when the car will arrive. I sacrifice and use public transportation. Other people can too instead of sitting alone in their gas guzzling car. Too many transplants coming here thinking this is LA where everyone goes 5 mph on the expressway because heaven's forbid they are seen using public transportation.

These anti-transit types and app companies are unnecessarily adding to the congestion, pollution and the like and trying to excuse it by saying that this will hurt people in the outer boroughs and minorities. I don't buy it. My primary residence in the outer borough would be MUCH quieter without so many Uber and Lyft cars. I've been considering going to my elected officials with the complaints because we never had this problem before until recently.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:53 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
The people that want rides cheap, don't think about there's no such thing as free lunch. Eventually Uber will beat itself and rides wont be cheap anymore. Uber drivers can't survive on scrapping by for fares. Most drivers haven't paid their taxes yet or have not been audited for tax evasion for unpaid income taxes. In a few years from now many of them will get hit by NY tax dept. that's why taxi drivers prefer cash and uber doesn't allow cash.

Old 08-08-2018, 11:39 AM

4 posts, read 1,567 times
Default I wonder where all this compassion was when taxis were discriminating against people of color and regusing to go abov

I wonder where all this compassion was when taxis were discriminating against people of color and refusing to go above 125th street. Yellow cabs and gypsy cabs have DECADES of ripping tourists and others off , picking and choosing their passengers and destinations.

SCREW THEM !

Old 08-08-2018, 11:54 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtojerz81 View Post
I wonder where all this compassion was when taxis were discriminating against people of color and refusing to go above 125th street. Yellow cabs and gypsy cabs have DECADES of ripping tourists and others off , picking and choosing their passengers and destinations.

SCREW THEM !
lol I could care less about taxi drivers. I will say this though... I have never had any issues being picked up, but I have had a few try to claim that their machine was broken so that they could get me to pay in cash.

Old 08-08-2018, 11:56 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,862,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
lol I could care less about taxi drivers. I will say this though... I have never had any issues being picked up, but I have had a few try to claim that their machine was broken so that they could get me to pay in cash.
They definitely don't get my sympathy.

Old 08-08-2018, 12:09 PM

254 posts, read 391,308 times
We're all educated enough to know that corners are cut in all fields of every industry, from brown collar all the way up to gold collars.

Yes, cabbies affect the masses, but private practices don't take co-pays and run people's insurance instead and garages don't take deductables to run up 3rd party insurances. When it benefits us, let it pass, but when it affects us we complain about it.

Everyone trying to make a living; make the most, spend the least. They're just doing the same. Don't like them, then carpool, use mass transit, use uber. Let capitalism take care of itself.

Question is about congestion: Yes capping uber will reduce congestion. Don't know why taxi cabs are even discussed. Took a left turn real quick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City