Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 12:13 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshabrady View Post
They definitely don't get my sympathy.
I've actually had some decent ones, but if you're going to a not so savory area, like Harlem, they'll pick you up but you can tell that they're a bit nervous about going to certain areas. I have meetings all over the city for work, often times not in the nicest neighborhoods either, and I don't have time for cabbies to be nervous about taking me to my destination. I've had meetings on the Lower East Side too, not too far from the PJs. Didn't have too much of an issue once I found a cab there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nietvam View Post
We're all educated enough to know that corners are cut in all fields of every industry, from brown collar all the way up to gold collars.

Yes, cabbies affect the masses, but private practices don't take co-pays and run people's insurance instead and garages don't take deductables to run up 3rd party insurances. When it benefits us, let it pass, but when it affects us we complain about it.

Everyone trying to make a living; make the most, spend the least. They're just doing the same. Don't like them, then carpool, use mass transit, use uber. Let capitalism take care of itself.

Question is about congestion: Yes capping uber will prevent congestion. Don't know why taxi cabs are even discussed. Took a left turn real quick.
That's all fine and good, but don't try to run game on me after I've gotten in the cab. The guy comes up with this BS about his card machine not working when we're almost at the destination. I told him straight up. I'm paying with my Amex and that's that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 12:19 PM

453 posts, read 344,682 times
Capping Uber would be great. The amount of NY TLC plates in NJ is astonishing and adds so much traffic congestion from NJ to NY. Crawling across the GWB over the weekend, almost all I saw were NY TLC plates on SUVs. It seems it's gotten out of hand, and I can only imagine how much congestion is added to the city because of it. I wonder how much people are truly making with this many drivers on the road.

Old 08-08-2018, 12:56 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
People are forgetting that this bill helps Uber drivers. Either way, Uber makes money with or without the cap. They don't care who drives they collect. As for late nights, I am surprised you didn't mention surge pricing. You can have unlimited Uber drivers but the city streets can only hold so much. You can't have uber flood the streets unmitigated.

Doesn't matter how many uber drivers are there, congestion causes surge pricing to go up because uber drivers can't get to you.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:10 PM

7,903 posts, read 7,875,928 times
Medallion cabs should be phased out and put to bed. Theres absolutely no need for em anymore

Old 08-08-2018, 02:37 PM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
NYC has official put cap on ride app based services for one year now going to mayor for final approved

“The City’s 12-month pause on new vehicle licenses will threaten one of the few reliable transportation options while doing nothing to fix the subways or ease congestion,” Alix Anfang, a spokesperson for Uber, said in a statement. “We take the Speaker at his word that the pause is not intended to reduce service for New Yorkers and we trust that he will hold the TLC accountable, ensuring that no New Yorker is left stranded.”

https://ny.curbed.com/2018/8/8/17664...les-regulation

Old 08-08-2018, 02:53 PM

7,903 posts, read 7,875,928 times
Expected. Nothing to see here

Old 08-08-2018, 03:45 PM

555 posts, read 616,736 times
so the cap is really just no new drivers for 1 year?

Old 08-08-2018, 03:56 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
No new licenses for for hire vehicles, which is important because some drivers will retire or move on to other things which will mean fewer drivers available and fewer cars on the road as time goes on. This cap should be effective because you won't have the market constantly flooded with new drivers.

It goes a bit further though:

Those bills will, among other things, stop the Taxi & Limousine Commission (TLC) from issuing new FHV licenses while the city studies their impact (though wheelchair-accessible vehicles are exempt from the cap); set a minimum wage for FHV drivers; and enact new regulations on high-volume apps like Uber and Lyft, requiring them to provide data on usage and charges, as well as impose a fine of $10,000 for those who do not comply.

One of the main complaints is that there are too many cars flooding the streets with no passengers in them because drivers are just driving around or idling waiting for pick-ups. By requiring Uber and Lyft to provide data on usage and charges, the City can see just how many people are being picked up. The goal here is to have fewer cars flooding the streets empty for long periods of time (as is currently the case) to thus lower congestion.

Old 08-08-2018, 05:11 PM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
Yes no new new drivers for one year people still going use Uber over Cabs. NYC still have over 65,000 Uber drivers and Lyft

Old 08-08-2018, 06:15 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Eventually it'll be similar to how entitled taxi drivers are since the limited number of Uber cars can pick and choose where they want to pick up. I know plenty of people who had their ride cancelled by Uber once they determined where they want to go and the Uber bailed on them. This will happen more frequent with this bill. Over time more cars and drivers will disappear and Uber will be forced to use Surge pricing to enticing drivers. Capitalism without regulation always hurts the consumers eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City