Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2018, 03:24 PM

782 posts, read 527,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Let me throw in an interesting, possibly overlooked twist in the nail salon fiasco. I often work in a East Flatbush and had a chance to speak to some Haitian Americans/immigrants in the area (I also eavesdropped on so many conversations about this). The general consensus is, while the salon workers overreacted, it was the fault of the black patrons for being “ghetto” and basically ratchet/low class. I can’t say too much about how it is in Brooklyn (I’ve only lived here just under 3 years), but growing up in Boston, I saw that there was some real animosity and division between African Americans and black immigrants from the Caribbean and different parts of Africa. I heard people in my own family and community talk smack about African Americans. I can easily imagine black immigrants siding with the Asian (possibly immigrant) salon owners over the (possibly) African American patrons. There is very much a shared background and desire of coming to and succeeding in America that overlaps beyond racial background. Not saying it’s all peace and harmony, of course, but, IME, the relationships are less tense than the ones between African Americans and black immigrants.

I’m curious about the ethnic makeup of the protestors, based on the conversations I’ve had/overheard in the past couple of days. Are people from the immigrant community there also protesting? I bring this up because “Blacks” are no more of a monolithic community than “Asians”. It may not be a simplistic “Blacks vs. Asians” situation here, IDK.
This is really interesting. Thanks for sharing. Interestingly enough, yesterday on another thread on this incident (that has since been locked), there was a tangent on whether the black residents in this community were "immigrants" or "black Americans" (whatever that means since which category would we put people of Caribbean descent who were born here) but no one really went into whether that fact mattered in the grand scheme of things.

Out of curiosity, I tried looking up that datapoint and found that roughly half of the residents in these neighborhoods (East Flatbush, Erasmus, Flatbush) were foreign-born. Add on native-born residents of Caribbean descent and the total percentage of Caribbean-Americans must be very high in these areas. See pages 37-41 of this report: https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/planning...3/chapter3.pdf

As far as the protestors, I'm curious about the breakdown too. From a couple of media reports that I've read, it wasn't clear but there definitely seemed to be at least some people there from outside the neighborhood (like other Brooklyn neighborhoods and Queens) so who knows if most of the protestors really had ties to this specific community.

Old 08-09-2018, 03:25 PM

5,119 posts, read 4,967,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post
Ghetto culture is the most rude, degenerate, disgusting culture there is.

When you have outspeaking ghetto defenders like caribny, ghetto culture is here to survive and spread because she believes that those who don't agree with ghetto culture should move to montana or idaho...

Old 08-09-2018, 03:53 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,883,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
When you have outspeaking ghetto defenders like caribny, ghetto culture is here to survive and spread because she believes that those who don't agree with ghetto culture should move to montana or idaho...
In Montana or Idaho it would be the mountain hick culture. Same problems. Wife beaters (not the shirt), alcoholism drug abuse (opiods etc.) and if you use big words and prefer cocktails to straight dewars you're getting kicked out of town.

Old 08-09-2018, 03:56 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,883,639 times
Quote:
That comment is strikingly similar to what that obese, aggressive, non-productive, miserable lady whom I had the unfortunate pleasure of bumping into while she was crawling in the middle of the crowded sidewalk together with two other friends told me that day...I wouldn't be too surprised if you happened to be one of the trio...... If so, please accept my excuse me again...but you got to understand that you and your friends do not own that sidewalk, not to mention that you have 0 right to tell where other people should move to just because you belong to one of the quarter NY population. Your aggressive and offensive attitude is doing more damage to the reputation of the black community than your narrow mind could possibly think through...
Everyone thinks they own the streets. They can have it.

They have to go back to their 6 roommate apartment with 3 bedrooms. I go back to my 1 BR with the Wife in a peaceful quite neighborhood.

A lot of people have nothing to lose so they don't care if they have legal trouble or get arrested etc because they've already given up on life and can act reckless.

I actually have a chance of succeeding in life so I'm not gonna wreck it over someone's ego and need to own the sidewalk. I'm paid adequately to behave myself out of work.

Old 08-10-2018, 01:18 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
If the black person sues, then the business can countersue. The black patron started the whole problem.
That does not justify a man holding a woman like that for an extended period of time, nor does that justify the level of violence shown in this video. They should have told the patron to either leave or that they will call the police. Or they should have just called the cops and not argued with the patron. It never should have been allowed to escalate. One of the employees was arrested.

And that is if the Black patron started the problem. Starting the problem does not justify this kind of response, PERIOD, and is irresponsible of the business owner.

Old 08-10-2018, 01:24 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
An Ivy League dude who works on Wall Street from Guyanese is "ghetto"? I don't think so. You're probably more ghetto than he is. Come on, aren't you one of those ghetto immigrants who worked in fast food place who became embittered after having to hide behind bulletproof glass? I would be bitter too if I had to live that ghetto lifestyle.

Old 08-10-2018, 05:25 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,537,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbleboom View Post
Well, Asians are constantly discriminated against, in the media, in schools, in sports, in the workplace, literally everyone underestimate or ignore Asians..

Asians need to stop being used by whites as the "model minority" when it fact its the whites who discriminate against them.

Who gets into colleges when they don't? Its the legacy whites and those with esoteric hobbies, mainly white.

But they love to be used by whites to maintain the status quo. Blacks aren't their enemies.

Old 08-10-2018, 05:30 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,537,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
No. If you follow him, you’d know, that he hates elitists. Especially those old crows with long money

I suggest that folks check to see what rents De Blasio charges for the real estate that he owns. I bet its market value. So he is just like the "evil landlords" that he rants against.

Right now De Blasio is looking for a job in 2021. He will be only 60 and not ready to retire. I think he is running around trying to be the VP pick or to get hired by some ultra left wing think tank. He better hope that Ocasio-Cruz doesn't expose his hypocrisy now that she is the darling of that group.

Old 08-10-2018, 05:32 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
It is not as blacks have no obligation to patronize these places if the notion of Asian ownership offends.

The issue is that some people are just plain rude and this will bring a reaction from people and sympathy from others who have also experienced this rudeness.

In fact Koreans were told long ago that they must learn to be less abrupt and slamming change on the counter isn't acceptable. That a smile mightn't kill them and that saying "good morning" to a customer might remove whatever bad attitudes that this person might have.

We hardly see this incidents in the Arab stores, which are actually more prevalent in these neighborhoods. I have actually seen cases where a black customer brings a bad attitude and the other blacks in the store calm them down.
Yeah, it is actually quite easy to avoid Chinese/East Asian rub businesses in black neighborhoods, so I agree with you there. I guess it was different in 1992 Los Angeles?

For some reason it doesn't seem like Chinese run corner stores are that prevalent in black NYC neighborhoods, while in Philadelphia they are quite prevalent.

Old 08-10-2018, 06:49 PM

782 posts, read 527,177 times
Personally, I don't see animosity between blacks and Asians in my networks. Most people I know though are well-educated with white-collar jobs making decent money. Perhaps there is more tension when we're talking about immigrants and lower-class folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City