Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 08:18 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,395,265 times

Advertisements

I’ve never met anyone that had interest in moving to Coney Island. I suspect the high earning Russians will make use of this just like they did to Sheepshead Bay and some building high rises in Brighton Beach!

Coney Island for the most part lacks amenities, ghetto, far away even with transportation nearby and must be a flood zone!

But then again this is NYC I guess there’s always demand of some sort!

Old 08-07-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NycLaidBack View Post
This is just one of the 4 big projects going up in Coney Island right now, there's also a 40 and 23 story luxury towers going up, these buildings belong in Manhattan.

I seen too many people talk down Coney Island on the forum, it's obvious they haven't been there in a while. Welcome to 2018, Coney Island is one of the most amusing neighborhoods in Brooklyn, if you don't like diversity, that's a personal issue. It's a beach with all types of day and night entertainment for all ages, and people complain about it being crowded, what do you expect a plate all to yourself? LMAO.

BTW the beach is cleaned every night, I've been there many times at night and see the big sand trucks going back and forth through the sand. Just like any other NYC beach, if you want a "clean" beach, go to the Caribbean, I know I gladly do.
The amusement park doesn’t speak for the majority of the neighborhood. The area sucks and is far from everything and also looks stupid being gated off Sea Gate!

Old 08-07-2018, 08:20 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,595,455 times
It is a flood zone. It flooded terribly during Hurricane Sandy

Old 08-07-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Coney Island can never be really gentrified.
The neighborhood is mostly NYCHA projects.
You can't gentrify projects!!
Exactly I figured people would learn this after the East Harlem and Brownsville experiments

Old 08-07-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Nobody said anything about gentrification, it's already a well developed part of town.

It's evident, many people on the forum are not accustomed to diversity, they try to hide it, but it's clearly visible.

A portion of the neighborhood is NYCHA, not mostly, it's such a small portion that I don't even see it when I go there, you totally forgot about the Seagate community, average home is $1 million+.

Coney Island crime is not much worse than the rest of the city, and it usually stays within the projects. I've been on the boardwalk at 2-3am, walking from one end to another, safer than ever.

Thanks for sharing the history of a neighborhood that took place decades ago that you probably haven't been to in years, your description of Coney Island must be absolutely true, everyone should stay home behind a keyboard, after all it's the safest place in the house.
Not sure why you’re pointing out Sea Gate becsuse that’s a gated community with bob wired fences separating it from Coney Island.

Coney Island is mostly housing projects and Nehemiah row houses built decades ago to get rid of urban decay.

I find it hard to believe you don’t see housing projects unless you only drive down Neptune or stay in the immediate area of Coney Island amusement park.

There’s no way you’re driving down Mermaid and Surf without noticing public housing, low income complexes (Sea Rise) and Mitchell Lama buildings!

Old 08-07-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
I didn't even realize there was an argument LOL

Mermaid is not the entire Coney Island, I don't even remember the last time I been on Mermaid ave, again, I don't live in the NYCHA portion of CI, so why would I go there, and how would the crime in those blocks affect me?

I have relatives living in Luna Park buildings for over 20 years, they've never been robbed, assaulted, or witness to any crime. They love the neighborhood and its easy access to the beach.

Sheepshead Bay also has Nostrand ave projects, so that makes Sheepshead real hood?

Many nice neighborhoods have several blocks of projects in between, and are still a desirable and safe places to live....
The hood in Coney Island is everything west of Stillwell Ave. Luna Park towers and Donald Trumps high rise buildings between Stillwell and Ocean Parkway is not what’s being discussed here!

Old 08-07-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
More false info, and you been working there for 7 years?

https://maps.nyc.gov/crime/

So tell us what incidents you saw that take place in the surrounding blocks outside of the NYCHA buildings...that riddles it as one of top crime ridden neighborhoods in Brooklyn, as per your opinion.
That map actually shows you know nothing about Coney Island. The nap is including Sea Gate, Brighton Beach and parts of Bensonhurst.

Misleading because Coney Island is a ghetto surrounded by nice neighborhoods. I’m confident 90% of those reported crimes occur in Coney Island and Malboro Projects in Bensonhurst.

By your logic Midwood is probably ghetto and littered with crime because it shares a police station with Flatbush!

Old 08-07-2018, 08:42 PM

7,903 posts, read 7,879,032 times
The buildings are ugly. They need to take a page out of what’s in Miami and build contemporary and tall like that

Old 08-07-2018, 09:48 PM

14,045 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
The buildings are ugly. They need to take a page out of what’s in Miami and build contemporary and tall like that
It Coney Island not Brickell Miami or Manhattan. The new developments you can get little taste of Miami and it improve the area.

Old 08-08-2018, 05:38 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,595,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
The hood in Coney Island is everything west of Stillwell Ave. Luna Park towers and Donald Trumps high rise buildings between Stillwell and Ocean Parkway is not what’s being discussed here!
Right, between Stillwell and Ocean Parkway is fine, dominated by moderate-income buildings like Luna Park and Trump Village - more similar crime/safety-wise to Brighton Beach (which is right next door) than to the rest of Coney ISland.

After Stillwell, around West 15th Street, until Seagate which is at West 37th Street and which is as we mentioned a gated community, Coney Island is dominated by projects. Those apartment buildings that are not projects are largely Section 8 apartments/tenants as well.
So basically you have a mile of NYCHA projects and an impoverished neighborhood. Similarly, the stores on Mermaid and Neptune are mostly 99 cent stores, there is a Rite Aid and a Dunkin Donuts, a Fine Fare, a Key Food, etc. That's basically it in the neighborhood, along with a few Russian stores.
On the boardwalk of course you have Nathan's and some other snack places. But that's for tourists. After you cross the street from the boardwalk onto Surf Avenue into the real neighborhood, you are in a poor high-crime neighborhood.

I spent the better part of my days in the neighborhood for 6 years working there, so I know.
There was a shooting on the beach one summer I remember (on the border of Coney Island and Brighton Beach I believe).

The crime rate is extremely high (again only topped by East New York and Brownsville) and the neighborhood is gang- and drug-infested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: