Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2008, 03:11 PM

317 posts, read 1,144,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx-Rochester View Post
Me personally I hate yuppies and hipsters, hearing them talk on the train with there country ass accents, they ain't even fron New York!!! My thing with then is that because of them, hard working, native New Yorkers aren being forced from there own hoods and being replaced by these same people.
That's the same attitude as people who complain about immigrants coming to this country - that they don't like their accents, ruin neighborhoods, and "aren't even from here".

Old 09-02-2008, 04:50 PM

110 posts, read 347,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minus View Post
That's the same attitude as people who complain about immigrants coming to this country - that they don't like their accents, ruin neighborhoods, and "aren't even from here".

When you are a hard working individual who tries hard to make ends meet, and you have these poeple from east bumf*ck somewhere coming to your area, and rents are going upbecause of it, and you have to move elsewhere because these poeple are pricing up your neighborhood, then you can comment

Old 09-02-2008, 09:59 PM

317 posts, read 1,144,487 times
Quote:
When you are a hard working individual who tries hard to make ends meet, and you have these poeple from east bumf*ck somewhere coming to your area, and rents are going upbecause of it, and you have to move elsewhere because these poeple are pricing up your neighborhood, then you can comment
Please, I can comment. I AM a hardworking individual, and a third generation NY native. My family lived in Williamsburg, where rents have skyrocketed!

Maybe I'm playing devil's advocate, because I understand where you're coming from, and I've thought/said the same things in the past. But rationally, it's not right.

The fact is, I'd LIKE for rents to stay lower, but people can live where they want. Everyone came here at some point, and not everyone who moves here from elsewhere is rich. The attitude that people who aren't from here should stay out is exactly what the anti-immigration people think.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:47 PM

473 posts, read 1,670,690 times
Quote:
....Me personally I hate yuppies and hipsters, hearing them talk on the train with there country ass accents, they ain't even fron New York!!! ....
That's a rather harsh comment since hate is such a strong word - I mean , shouldn't the kids be free to move where they please?

It's the land lords who mess things up by RAISING the rents, flushing out the "old" residents in the process. Though some move into a NH, and expect everything that was there before them to vaporize for instance - the drumming issue in Harlem.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minus View Post
Please, I can comment. I AM a hardworking individual, and a third generation NY native. My family lived in Williamsburg, where rents have skyrocketed!

Maybe I'm playing devil's advocate, because I understand where you're coming from, and I've thought/said the same things in the past. But rationally, it's not right.

The fact is, I'd LIKE for rents to stay lower, but people can live where they want. Everyone came here at some point, and not everyone who moves here from elsewhere is rich. The attitude that people who aren't from here should stay out is exactly what the anti-immigration people think.

I don't mind newcomers living in NY at all. I guess I did come off kind of harsh and nasty but I am angry at what gentrification is doing to The Bronx, Queens and Brooklyn, and not to forget Harlem

Old 09-03-2008, 04:22 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times
Quote:
I don't mind newcomers living in NY at all. I guess I did come off kind of harsh and nasty but I am angry at what gentrification is doing to The Bronx, Queens and Brooklyn, and not to forget Harlem
What exactly is gentrification doing to these areas? Queens and Brooklyn are safer and more diverse than ever.

Old 09-03-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
What exactly is gentrification doing to these areas? Queens and Brooklyn are safer and more diverse than ever.

Exactly what gentrification does, force the locals who can't afford the sky high prices out of there.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:05 PM

169 posts, read 419,024 times
heres my two cents:
my problem with the hipsters is that you got immigrant neighborhoods, filled to the brim with mostly (not all) hardworking people giving a huge chunk of their income just for housing. Then in comes a few kids from college, with all of their expenses paid by their families, paying higher rent for newly renovated apartments in the same neighborhood. Then the rents for the entire neighborhood increase, and there goes a whole other part of the city outpriced for most current residents of the city, and certainly for perspective and newcoming immigrants. This is because landlords know they can now charge much higher rents, cuz the new guys will pay it. And its not like its families moving in, beucase generally the schools are pretty bad. its usually college kids that have all their expenses paid. it would be one thing if this occured in a handful of neighborhoods. But as the city continues to grow, it has lagged behind in the amount of housing units necessary to provide for this growth, thus high prices. I feel like if this city invested more in its transportation infrastructure like a subway up third ave in the bx, and a tunnel to connect lower manhattan to bk for a quick ride to the rockaways, it would allow for a large chunk of housing to be constructed and provide newer, better housing for the rich newcommers while keeping the old housing stock for the immigrants.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:28 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times
So we've established that it's the LANDLORDS who raise the rents, not the "hipsters." Just wanted to point it out because it seems people are quick to forget this.

What do you suggest we do about this "problem"? When a neighborhood is perceived to be more desirable, landlords raise their rental rates. If you were a landlord who knew that Joe down the street was renting his upstairs two bedroom unit for $2000, why would you rent your similar upstairs unit for $1200? When you put yourself in the shoes of a landlord, you understand that almost no one is going to resist raising rents based on the principle that "I don't want my neighborhood to gentrify." How could anyone expect places with a decent housing stock like Fort Greene, Harlem, and the East Village - all in the central city or VERY close to it - to just sit frozen in time while the current resident reap the benefits of living in units with rents that are straight out of 1990? Landlords who knew what was best for themselves raised rents and rightly so. Those areas were undervalued for far too long. I was just talking to an active contributor to this forum a few weeks ago about this: places like the East Village are SAFER, NICER, and MORE diverse than ever before. The character hasn't left but some of the riff raff has, and I certainly do not mourn that.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:48 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times
The character hasn't left but some of the riff raff has, and I certainly do not mourn that.
.................................................. ................................................

crisp, it's not just "riff raff" who are priced out - many hard-working native and other New Yorkers who stuck it out when others wouldn't dare move in or felt that the neighborhood was not up to their standards are being displaced by trust fund babies and others. No amount of rationalizing why landlords raise rents astronomically can substitute for one simple word - GREED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City