Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2012, 06:20 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Well there really is no such thing as a 600-700 dollar apt. I mean, you might be able to find some extremely dreary, run down basement "apt" in a rat hole neighborhood or an area that will take you a very long time to get anywhere will you will most likely want to be.

Otherwise, you're looking at roommates.
Bro don't even bother... The sensitivity on this cite is amazing... Funny thing is the other posters have gassed him up so much he now feels empowered that he can tell me and others what the going rates are for apartments and how dare I contradict him on his choice of moving without any support...

To the OP, go ahead man, do you... There are plenty of $500-600 a month apts in this city and you'll be able to find them in great completely gentrified areas like Bushwick and Ocean Hill that have no crime whatsoever but still remain cheap... Not to mention good schooling and plenty of job opportunities because NYC isn't crowded at all... Wish you the best...

Old 04-16-2012, 06:23 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Eventually a global city will crash if it becomes a city of the ultra rich and the hopeless poor. Paris prior to the aFrench Revolution is an example of this.

No society can be stable without its middle vclass. Middle class people arent going to stick around if they must live crowded because thats all they can afford.

Who is NYC attracting? Immigrants and broke kids. Both arrive with a dream and no cash (look at all the "can I survive inNYC on $60k w/o living in a dangerous neighborhood" questions one gets). The Safety Map being a response to that.

The supply of rich Russians and Brazilians isnt without end.

This city ha stwo problem which will destroy it unless dealt with. An abominable primary/secondary educational system for all but the very bright, and housing increasingly beyond the means of middle class people who demand safety and some quality of life.

Please no response that the educational system vis good and only the dysfunctional abuse it. I have met enough CUNY/SUNY graduates who cant write a proper sentence and whose analytical skills are absent. A survey was reported in Crains where NYCs competitive edge was compared with similar cities. We scored very low on the job readiness of the local laborforce.

These two threats were identified as issues by development planners as they ponder about how long it will be attractive to migrants from elsewhere in the country (more leave than arrive) given that NYC is incapable of producing people with the skills that it needs.

I have read something similar about what you have mentioned. This is why in CUNY its mandatory for all students to pass a comprehension exam called the CPE due to fact poor reasoning and lack of analytical thinking which students lack. Attending a CUNY or a SUNY institution only guarantees a job in government related jobs as well as jobs in health and mental wellness. If your lucky enough and attend Baruch college you mightvland a job at jp Morgan chase. Sadly enough in other States they will Gladly accept a new yorker to work for them but its the complete opposite here in nyc private sector jobs.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 490270 View Post
Wow anon. Very judgmental and very rude. It is brilliant because its the city with the most opportunity for my career.

I never said I wanted to live in the hood.

Thanks for that.
He was being very honest with you.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:40 PM

87 posts, read 236,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 490270 View Post
Okay.. A little confused here.
I'm young, into the arts, moving to NYC to pursue them. I'm rather broke (no financial help from parents ever) and completely on my own to support myself. I won't be able to live in Manhattan so I will have to live in a 'cheaper' neighborhood.

I feel like some people would automatically assume that from the above I am now a hipster? Just because some people have trust funds, doesn't mean we all do. At the end of the day, its just America's youth.
sorry anon, i don't read your posts, regardless of whether or not you put the words in BOLD letters. The reason is, I skipped to the last sentence of your ramble and you said "i thought you said thugs were moving out.."
I said nothing of the sort. So once again you put words in my mouth. While you call people names, you deserve one yourself - you my friend are the TRUE IDIOT. You continue to twist people's words. Do you want to know how stupid you are? I'll tell you....YOU ARE MAKING MY ARGUMENT FOR ME YOU FREAKING MORON! You argue with yourself. Please refrain from quoting me again in one of your elementary replies because you seem to forget what quoting people is all about - QUOTING THEM! You don't quote someone and then pretend like they said something completely different. I know this is very hard for you to understand so I'll just stop. And for the record RIDGEWOOD sucks who are you kidding?

In regards to the quote above - YES, YOU WILL AUTOMATICALLY BE ASSUMED TO BE A HIPSTER/RICH KID/YUPPIE if you move into a neighborhood where there aren't WHITE PEOPLE.
And to any ignorant fool that says that's a racist statement - give me a break.
It's the truth. You are HATED BECAUSE YOU ARE WHITE - because white people to MOST, not all, but MOST of the ignorant people who live there see white people as RICH PEOPLE.

I KNOW - I'm white, I have lived in "dark" hoods and it was an absolute nightmare. I tried being friends with my neighbors, tried minding my business, did everything I could - but I was
still seen as some white hipster - which couldn't be further from the truth. I'm POOR! I didn't have a penny to my name. But because I was white I was harassed, robbed and all types of crap
on a daily basis because i was seen as a "SNITCH, NAZI, WHITE BOY" etc.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:20 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
^ lls...maybe you should live in the poor white neighborhood.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^ lls...maybe you should live in the poor white neighborhood.
Lol, Sheepsheadbay or Brighton Beach anyone?

Old 04-17-2012, 11:09 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,440 times
I couldn't care less about hipsters/yuppies one way or another because I usually don't come into contact with them on a daily basis.

However, I did take a stroll through Chelsea the other day and I had to laugh. Amongst NY'ers they just flat out stand out. NY has a certain historical flavor to it; gritty, down to earth, blue collar, friendly, rowdy, prideful, etc.
Historically, even "elite" Wall St. was seen as a gritty, grinding business where the sons (and some daughters) of blue collar NY'ers could make a name for themselves. The wealthy, the middle class, and poor were not different personality or character wise.

These folks are the complete opposite. I can understand why people dislike them. They are the anti- NY.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:15 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
I couldn't care less about hipsters/yuppies one way or another because I usually don't come into contact with them on a daily basis.

However, I did take a stroll through Chelsea the other day and I had to laugh. Amongst NY'ers they just flat out stand out. NY has a certain historical flavor to it; gritty, down to earth, blue collar, friendly, rowdy, prideful, etc.
Historically, even "elite" Wall St. was seen as a gritty, grinding business where the sons (and some daughters) of blue collar NY'ers could make a name for themselves. The wealthy, the middle class, and poor were not different personality or character wise.

These folks are the complete opposite. I can understand why people dislike them. They are the anti- NY.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:19 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post

But they stand for prosperity as oppose to the previous demographics that contributed to the grittiness and crime that stood for decay.

That's what it's all about and thats why I support and have nothing against yuppies because they single handedly changed NY for the better while the previous demographic made it worse. It's about improving the city to make it more desirable to live in. Hipsters and yuppies are the pioneers of that. If it wasn't for them, the ghettos they initially moved into then later transformed would til this day still remain ghettos. Besides, no one here is a native NYer or a "real" NYer unless you are a native american. We all come from somewhere else. None of us are "true" NYers.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:48 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
But they stand for prosperity as oppose to the previous demographics that contributed to the grittiness and crime that stood for decay.

That's what it's all about and thats why I support and have nothing against yuppies because they single handedly changed NY for the better while the previous demographic made it worse. It's about improving the city to make it more desirable to live in. Hipsters and yuppies are the pioneers of that. If it wasn't for them, the ghettos they initially moved into then later transformed would til this day still remain ghettos. Besides, no one here is a native NYer or a "real" NYer unless you are a native american. We all come from somewhere else. None of us are "true" NYers.
This is a load of **** because you're assuming that most "hipsters" and "yuppies" are somehow prosperous. They're not significantly different than the general population in terms of their cross section in the labor pool.

Their difference lies in a change in culture among American youth. Those from Generation Y and Z do not get married or have children while in their 20's or early 30's. They do not have mortgages. They do not have car notes. They do not have pension funds. They're less apt to live in the suburbs as one generally needs to acquire a car note and a mortgage for that and beyond that what good is suburban living if you aren't married or have kids?

That is why they have no problem giving away half or more of their income on rent on the other half on living in a high COL area such as NYC. \ Most hipsters and yuppies aren't prosperous. They're only real obligations are simply rent and food and that is where most of their net income goes.

This isn't only a hipster/yuppie phenomenon but a cultural phenomenon of which the hipster/yuppies are a past of (more so hipsters). If you don't have kids and don't plan on having kids in the short-medium term then spending insane amounts on rent/food/daily living seem fine. Same goes for marriage or acquiring property or paying cash for a new car or any number of other traditional financial/life decisions that signaled adulthood.

I'm not saying this is good or bad it's just the reality.

Take a look at : http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/Publications/CRC/crc2010.pdf
That income that used to go to raising children now goes to pay rent and $10 sandwiches.

Last edited by wawaweewa; 04-17-2012 at 07:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City