Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 02:48 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,825 times

Advertisements

they used to label people "savages"
to justify colonization, so what's
the difference now?

Old 04-18-2012, 02:53 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,142,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
the difference now?
Well given the ways some hoodrats act, they could be termed savages. Murdering and raping and stealing.

The hipsters are also not shooting and literally forcing them out of their communities. They are coming in and planting roots in open areas that are not being utlized.

But continue to try and start your little race war. Every comment is how all whites want to push blacks out of their neighborhood. YOU are the reason racial tension exists.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:03 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,255,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
the difference now?
The way some ghetto people act, you might as well call them "savages" or animals. You think not? Prove me wrong. I dare you! Turn on the TV, watch the news or better yet watch "The First 48" and tell me ghetto people aren't savages and how they kill each other over stupid ish.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:04 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,214,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Yes those ARE the 2 choices. Do I really need to break it down?

It's the "hood" vs. gentrification. Thugs, hoodrats, gang members, drug dealers, etc represent the ghetto neighborhoods. Hipsters and yuppies represent gentrified neighborhoods.

Ghetto neighborhoods = evil

Gentrified neighborhoods = good

Yuppies move into "hoods" and eventually transform it to a desirable, safe place to live. Hence the 2 options...yuppie or hoodrat.

Yuppies don't move into wealthy neighborhoods. They pick ghettos, plant their roots and improve the neighborhood.

Take West Harlem as an example. Go back 20 years ago, that place was a ish hole. Fast forward to today, though still a work in progress, West Harlem is a much safer, cleaner and more desirable place to live thanks to gentrification. Gentrification flushed out a ish load of ghetto people that lived in that section of Harlem that made it bad. Obviously those ghetto a$$ people failed at keeping "their" community clean, safe and desirable. So someone else stepped in and did it for them. Them being yuppies. Is that really so bad that a neighborhood goes from bad to good?

Is that so hard to understand?

My friend, you don't need to go on one of your little rants that say the same thing over and over again. I get it. You've never heard of anyone in between welfare leaching hoodscum (which I openly bash on this forum regularly as well) and a wealthy yup. Even though you say you grew up here, somehow this complex notion has escaped you.

With that said, I haven't spoken about west harlem. Or the south bronx. Or bed stuy. Or red hook........I was simply commenting on two particular neighborhoods. Settle the F down.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:04 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,825 times
^^ thanks for the insults.
nice to see how I got you
all in your emotions lls.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:07 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,255,759 times

Crack Clouds Over Hell's Kitchen (1988) - YouTube

I need all you yuppie and gentrification haters to watch this video. This is LIVING PROOF how yuppies and gentrification in Hell's Kitchen got rid of those crackheads and ghetto people you see on the video!!! If you go to Hell's Kitchen today, those kinds of people are nowhere to be seen. For all you haters and non-believers, you can thank gentrification for that beautiful transformation.

Now apply this same gentrification concept to other current ghetto neighborhoods like the Bronx and central Brooklyn and you will get the same wonderful results. Cleaner, safe and ghetto-free neighborhoods. Who can complain about that?

Hope now all you gentrification haters can stop ranting about how evil gentrification is. Cause it isn't!

Old 04-18-2012, 03:14 PM

248 posts, read 288,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
I'll leave it at this. Like I've said, I really only commented on this thread when someone claimed that specifically Greenpoint and Astoria were in ruins before the magical, creative parade showed up. That is laughable, and some of you mouth breathers can't even accept that. I also commented on there only being two choices. Yupster or hoodrat. Rational thinking seems to have gone out the window with a lot of you.
Bud. Have you seen Greenpoint pre-1990? If it was black it 'd be called ghetto. It was a disaster area. Have you seen it lately?

Stop this nonsense already.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:22 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,214,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristann View Post
Bud. Have you seen Greenpoint pre-1990? If it was black it 'd be called ghetto. It was a disaster area. Have you seen it lately?

Bud. Yeah I had seen it. I had/have family all over Brooklyn. And it's ok, you can call a white area that you think was ghetto, a ghetto. Don't be scared to speak your mind. The LES was once a jewish ghetto.

The fact is that you and I have differing opinions on what a ghetto is I suppose. But once again, just for clarification, the entire city was worse off crime wise in the 80's. The entire city. Nobody is disputing that. Bud.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:25 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristann View Post

Wow... Thank you so much for posting this on the last page because I didn't want to have to respond to the other one where you spoke about people not understanding how it was 20 years ago... I lived during that era and to see you speak such nonsense is just laughable to me... You tell me to check the data, why don't you check it for yourself... The 94th precinct was by far the safest of all the North Brooklyn areas and it wasn't even close... In addition to that, majority of the crime that did happen within that precinct happened on the Northside of Williamsburg and not in Greenpoint...

Does that mean crime didn't happen in the area... Of course not... Fast forward to today's times where you compare the 94th precinct to a utopia and you still have plenty of crime occuring within the area... That being said, it isn't a hood now and it surely wasn't hood back then... Same goes for Astoria... I didn't realize poor hispanics qualified as making a neighborhood ghetto... And we are the ones that bring up race and create racial tensions... riiight ...

For the record, I was born and raised in East NY before finally moving to Woodhaven in 92' and then to Ridgewood in 95' so I think I'm fairly qualified to speak on what was hood back then and what wasn't...

Really, the braindead responses are just comical... People will do anything to give credit where it isn't due with hipsters... They'll even say that decent safe working class areas that are now overrun by pretentious hipsters were ghetto "minority" neighborhoods back then... Btw, thank you for including the comment about being a black area in Greenpoint and poor hispanics ruining astoria... Not only is either comment accurate but you have done the same exact thing you blamed others on here of doing...

Old 04-18-2012, 06:10 PM

248 posts, read 288,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post

The fact is that you and I have differing opinions on what a ghetto is I suppose. But once again, just for clarification, the entire city was worse off crime wise in the 80's. The entire city. Nobody is disputing that. Bud.
Bud. The drop in crime in the city happened for many reasons one of them being gentrifications of once urban ghettos. As a matter of fact Williamsburg was still unsafe whem first waves of artists / hipsters moved into the neighborhood from Manhattan and when first hipset business "L Cafe" on Bedford Av.

It is gentrification that helped to reduce the crime by changing social break up of the neighborhood.

Last edited by tristann; 04-18-2012 at 06:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City