Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 02:03 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,395,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
You don't like Manhattan walkup midrise and Bronx midrise elevator buildings? Those are NYC as it gets IMO

I don't know the Bronx at all (except Parkchester), but regarding Manhattan "walkup midrise", does that mean fairly large brick buildings (incl "tenement" buildings) such as, eg, most of Rivington St in LES? I count those among the mass-residential brick architecture of the mid-1800s to mid-1900s era, and I already mentioned that was my favorite architecture. Yes, they are very NYC, but I consider them bigger than "midrise" (okay, they are not anywhere as tall as towers or skyscrapers, but they are closer to the idea of a residential tower than to the idea of a single-family to 4-family house).

Regardless, I think almost everything in NYC that is not included in historic preservation is doomed, except the ugly cheap tall glass things that are gobbling up space in Manhattan. They will spread like plague to the other boroughs as well, just wait and see. The lure of cheap, easy to build, and possible to build almost anywhere (due to being fairly lightweight for the height) is irresistible to builders.

Last edited by elnrgby; 08-13-2018 at 02:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 02:40 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,401,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Victorian Flatbush is landmarked though
Yea true but look at the Victorians outside of landmarked Flatbush which is mostly Ditmas Park.

Ocean Ave Victorians are all demolished except for the ones between Knewkirk and Dorchester.

The Victorians in Bedford between Linden and Lenox. All empty and ready to be demolished. They are also starting to do it on Brooklyn Ave (east Flatbush between Glenwood and Farragut where they have replaced a few Victorians with 4 story condo looking apartments.

John jay college on tenth Ave. is surrounded by new high rises that were railroad units before!

Old 08-13-2018, 03:05 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
I don't know the Bronx at all (except Parkchester), but regarding Manhattan "walkup midrise", does that mean fairly large brick buildings (incl "tenement" buildings) such as, eg, most of Rivington St in LES? I count those among the mass-residential brick architecture of the mid-1800s to mid-1900s era, and I already mentioned that was my favorite architecture. Yes, they are very NYC, but I consider them bigger than "midrise" (okay, they are not anywhere as tall as towers or skyscrapers, but they are closer to the idea of a residential tower than to the idea of a single-family to 4-family house).

Regardless, I think almost everything in NYC that is not included in historic preservation is doomed, except the ugly cheap tall glass things that are gobbling up space in Manhattan. They will spread like plague to the other boroughs as well, just wait and see. The lure of cheap, easy to build, and possible to build almost anywhere (due to being fairly lightweight for the height) is irresistible to builders.
Midrise tends to mean 4 to 10 stories if I'm not mistaken. I think the exact number is arbitrary, though.

So yes, those buildings on Rivington fit the bill.

In the West Bronx and parts of upper Manhattan, there is another commonly found kind of building which is my favorite. I don't know what they're called, but they tend to be 5-6 stories, and 50-100 units. So they are much larger than those LES buildings even though they're around the same height.

And I don't even refer to those LES buildings as tenements anymore, considering they can be fancy looking and are luxurious compared to the real tenements they replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Yea true but look at the Victorians outside of landmarked Flatbush which is mostly Ditmas Park.

Ocean Ave Victorians are all demolished except for the ones between Knewkirk and Dorchester.

The Victorians in Bedford between Linden and Lenox. All empty and ready to be demolished. They are also starting to do it on Brooklyn Ave (east Flatbush between Glenwood and Farragut where they have replaced a few Victorians with 4 story condo looking apartments.

John jay college on tenth Ave. is surrounded by new high rises that were railroad units before!
That's just sad to be honest

Old 08-13-2018, 03:08 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
I'm not a huge fan of Midtown Manhattan but last night I noticed there are some very grand looking brick high rises in that area. I mean, I always am in that area but didnt really pay attention til last night.

I was walking down 8th Ave and saw some 3-4 story walkup buildings, I thought to myself that those must be endangered.

Old 08-13-2018, 04:37 PM

782 posts, read 527,368 times
Quote:
Including Staten Island which type of housing makes up most of NYC land?

A.) apartment buildings of 4 units or more.

B.) single family homes or multiply family of no more than 3 units.

What is your pick?
Not sure if you just wanted to hear people's guesses or wanted an actual answer but here are a couple of reports that may be helpful:

This Furman Center report says that privately-owned multi-family rental properties (with five or more units) make up roughly 40% of all residential units in NYC. Doesn't break it down by land though. The report also has some info about the history, dates of construction, housing type, by borough, etc.

https://furmancenter.org/files/sotc/...using_2010.pdf

The NYC property tax report has numbers of 1-family, 2-family, 3-family, rental buildings, coops, condos, etc citywide and by borough. Look at Tables 1.

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/finance/...perty_fy18.pdf

Old 08-13-2018, 05:04 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Including Staten Island which type of housing makes up most of NYC land?

A.) apartment buildings of 4 units or more.

B.) single family homes or multiply family of no more than 3 units.

What is your pick?

Isn't a blanket answer because each borough has different zoning and or developed in various ways.

Out on SI you have mostly single family homes, with very little multi-family (apartment buildings). In fact out on the Rock you don't find many tall buildings either, it is just a low density type of town.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:28 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Why not make a POLL.
I choose A.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:32 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Quote:
I do enjoy looking at rows of brownstones (though would not live in one - they seem to be nearly impossible to heat in the winter

Actually, they are fairly easy on heat because one home's heat loss is another's gain.
My gripe with bownstones is that while they look big on the outside, many are quite narrow with lots of wasted space for hallways and staircases.

Old 08-14-2018, 04:00 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Communities at the turn of the century were nothing more than barracks for a hungry growing city.
The neighborhood structure is akin to observing dinosaur fossils.
Today, real estate is heading in a different direction.

Sorry but this will not be of much help to the slingblades.
It's more leaning towards those with money, money, money and the next heads up............

The wealthy and savy risk taking real estate investor today will jump the LLC train and get
off at Vacant Land Station where he will build box stores and small communities all because
he had an in on where the next big business ( like Amazon ) is gonna land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City