Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 03:27 PM

12,740 posts, read 8,160,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
It's both. Pelham Parkway is better known so easier for most people to understand. Bronxdale is more specific.
It is at one end of Pelham Parkway.
True...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 04:11 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,378,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I use my neighborhood name a lot. It's Bronxdale. People get confused and think I am claiming Bronxville
You teach in Melrose right? I wonder if even 1/3 of your kids use the name Melrose

Old 08-13-2018, 04:12 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,378,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
Oh Riverdale make sure they do. They do it so much you would think Riverdale is upstate NY like Harrison or Rye, or Nyack. lol
True! There are exceptions to what I said such as the wealthier Bronx neighborhoods like Riverdale

Old 08-13-2018, 04:39 PM

7,852 posts, read 7,743,051 times
Quote:
That's a good history trip. I'm always confused about the name of my neighborhood. When I first got there it was called Morrisania, then I was told it was called Melrose, then Fleetwood, now all of a sudden im hearing its called something else.

Didn't they tear down that 3rd Avenue Courthouse and build Affordable housing? Boricua something.
It depends on where you live. Melrose used to be called Woodstock. Morrisania is west of Melrose. The old courthouse is still in tow on 3rd ave. Boricua village is behind it

Old 08-14-2018, 10:29 AM

25,341 posts, read 36,832,279 times
Nice for me because I know very little about the Bronx outside of Riverdale, Botanical Gardens, the Zoo and BJ's. In this shi*storm of weather it is easier to explore the Bronx in my nice cool living room than walking around sweltering.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:36 AM

192 posts, read 185,880 times
Quote:
Oh Riverdale make sure they do. They do it so much you would think Riverdale is upstate NY like Harrison or Rye, or Nyack. lol
What they don't use it's their borough! LOL

Old 08-14-2018, 10:43 AM

965 posts, read 1,104,749 times
Quote:
So true. lol

I'm one of the few Bronxites that actually use neighborhoods for the most part.

More often than not, if I ask someone "what part of the Bronx are you from?" They answer with a street name or number.

Gun Hill <-- Most popular.
Findlay
Near 161 <--- My favorite lol.

On the flip side, more often than not, when I say I "I live in Mott Haven" --- crickets.
"I live right by the Hub." --- crickets.
"147th." --- "Oh, I know where that is!"

There's no true identity.

The Top 3 neighborhoods that have an sort of identity are Riverdale, Parkchester and Co-Op City. That's it. Everything is Bronx, South Bronx or Gun Hill.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:47 AM

13,608 posts, read 20,658,324 times
Always loved the name Bronxdale.

Sounds very 50s suburbia, but with the tough-sounding "Bronx" instead of something gentle like "Fern" or "Oak".

Old 08-14-2018, 10:53 AM

12,740 posts, read 8,160,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadeonHD4250 View Post
So true. lol

I'm one of the few Bronxites that actually use neighborhoods for the most part.

More often than not, if I ask someone "what part of the Bronx are you from?" They answer with a street name or number.

Gun Hill <-- Most popular.
Findlay
Near 161 <--- My favorite lol.

On the flip side, more often than not, when I say I "I live in Mott Haven" --- crickets.
"I live right by the Hub." --- crickets.
"147th." --- "Oh, I know where that is!"

There's no true identity.

The Top 3 neighborhoods that have an sort of identity are Riverdale, Parkchester and Co-Op City. That's it. Everything is Bronx, South Bronx or Gun Hill.
City Island, Throggs Neck, Woodlawn and Country Club as well are well known. Riverdale is least associated with the Bronx. I've heard people say it's in Manhattan or Westchester. They don't seem to quite know where it is. lol It also doesn't help that almost everything north of Inwood is lumped in as being Riverdale when it isn't.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:57 AM

965 posts, read 1,104,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Always loved the name Bronxdale.

Sounds very 50s suburbia, but with the tough-sounding "Bronx" instead of something gentle like "Fern" or "Oak".
It's funny how certain words can just soften up everything.

I noticed a lot real estate agents trying to rebrand bad neighborhoods using "Gardens."

"Girl, you live in Brownsville?!"

"Hell no, girl. I'm in Brownsville Gardens."

"Ooooohh... girl, that sounds nice."

Introducing the NEW "South Bronx" Gardens. Revitalized neighborhoods such as Piano District, Lower / Upper Mott Haven Proper, Hunters Point Estates, Morrisania Village and Melrose Manor.

Boom, problem solved. Watch the housing stock SELL!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City