Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2021, 12:59 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,362,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Kingsbridge/Van Cortlandy Village are pretty safe while not being suburban like much of Riverdale
Yeah, true about Kingsbridge. I guess I like space and so never saw myself considering there. I would like to look around the latter but perhaps after winter.

Quote:
Right. The Woodlawn 4 stop is misleading because it's actually in Norwood.
The Woodlawn stop is in Norwood?! This is an outrage! I have been lied to all these years! Lmao.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2021, 01:00 PM

34,003 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
The Woodlawn stop is in Norwood?! This is an outrage! I have been lied to all these years! Lmao.
The train station is named after the cemetery and not the neighborhood.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-25-2021, 04:59 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,362,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
The train station is named after the cemetery and not the neighborhood.
Is Kingsbridge Station located in Kingsbridge? What's next?

Old 01-25-2021, 05:23 PM

870 posts, read 412,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
People are fighting for minimum wages putting a two earner family at 60k per year and the poorest borough is commanding these kind of prices? Also, wealthy immigrants aren’t going to the Bronx, so how do these people get this kind of funding? Something smells funny to me.

I mean all the power to them, but somethings not right.
The poorest borough, you mean the borough that includes the poorest congressional district in the US (15th). Pelham Gardens is part of the 14th and if you ever walk around the area, it feels like a quiet suburban area of neighboring Westchester. And again, unlike the popular belief, this area is far from an exception in the borough, there is a bunch of them.
This type of house is old, beautiful, rustic, and a few of them sold for over $1M over the past few months.

What's funny is, nobody seems shocked anymore when Bed-Stuy brownstones sell for 2.8 millions, when they used to be priced around $400K 15 years ago and are still surrounded by ten times the crime, when areas like Pelham Gardens have none.

Old 01-25-2021, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Another Bronx neighborhood I found nice from my limited experience is Riverdale. This is the only part of West Bronx I can think of that is deemed safe. I am new here and probably ignorant to other areas and so there's that. I'm not even sure if Riverdale is considered West Bronx though it is in the West.

I visited an area of West Bronx a while back...I could see Washington Heights on the other side. I could not imagine living there. Like someone else said, it's pretty urban. When I say urban, I mean dense, not a lot of space. East Bronx is more greenery and just space to walk around from what I have seen.
Riverdale, Spuyten-Duyvil, Fieldston (you can't even touch the private houses there), Kingsbridge (Riverdale's cheaper sibling), and the Northern part of Kinsbridge Heights as well.

And yes Riverdale is considered West Bronx.

Old 01-25-2021, 05:48 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,591,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Dinero View Post
The poorest borough, you mean the borough that includes the poorest congressional district in the US (15th). Pelham Gardens is part of the 14th and if you ever walk around the area, it feels like a quiet suburban area of neighboring Westchester. And again, unlike the popular belief, this area is far from an exception in the borough, there is a bunch of them.
This type of house is old, beautiful, rustic, and a few of them sold for over $1M over the past few months.

What's funny is, nobody seems shocked anymore when Bed-Stuy brownstones sell for 2.8 millions, when they used to be priced around $400K 15 years ago and are still surrounded by ten times the crime, when areas like Pelham Gardens have none.
Because Bed Stuy is a livelier neighborhood and has better architecture. I'm not surprised at Pelham Gardens getting more expensive but I don't think it's comparable to Bed Stuy, which is a continuation of the gentrification from the pricier neighborhoods to its West.

Old 01-25-2021, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Because Bed Stuy is a livelier neighborhood and has better architecture. I'm not surprised at Pelham Gardens getting more expensive but I don't think it's comparable to Bed Stuy, which is a continuation of the gentrification from the pricier neighborhoods to its West.
To each its own... and let's remember that Bed-Stuy was extremely undesirable once upon a time, people who could were fleeing... even if I had 3 millions I would never buy a brownstone in Bed-Stuy, however for one third of the price I would consider buying a house in Pelham Gardens.

Old 01-25-2021, 06:13 PM

34,003 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Is Kingsbridge Station located in Kingsbridge? What's next?
Actually Kingsbridge Road train stations are both not in the neighborhood of Kingsbridge (the D and the 4).

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-26-2021, 08:07 AM

2,314 posts, read 1,148,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Dinero View Post

Pelham Gardens appears to have a nice selection of well-kept private homes, as does much of the east Bronx.

Pelham Gardens - https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...rdens_Bronx_NY

Old 01-26-2021, 08:42 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quick Q, if one were to make a topic with a poll ranking Bronx neighborhoods, I reckon one can start with the Wikipedia entry with the neighborhoods and City Island but with some of the parts taken out. But what would you do with some of the neighborhoods that have subsections in them? For example, should Fordham be listed as just Fordham or split into Fordham Heights and Fordham Manor? How would you edit this list into one level of neighborhoods?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City