Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 11:57 AM

48 posts, read 48,455 times

Advertisements

Regents degrees should be mandatory. Funding should be tied into passing rates. Bring in state proctors if there is suspicion of cheating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 12:02 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Now because of the outcry NYS days it will release new guidelines to the Yeshivas. Also more former students are speaking out.

Questions raised about education in NYC religious schools - Story | WNYW

Old 08-21-2018, 09:35 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,706,217 times
[quote=NyWriterdude;52864596]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post

Which is why the city and state should not fund them unless the follow the state education requirements. These schools are severely damaging the potential futures of the children who attend. It’s horrible this can happen in America.

Though I met a school psychologist who worked with Navajos. At his school the principal just had a bachelors degree. The people on the board of education just had elementary school education. Needless to say few people end up going to college from these schools, despite the federal government being willing to pay for the college education of members of federally recognised Native American groups. The tribal elders want the children to be educated in Navajo just like the Yeshivas only want to teach Hebrew and Yiddish. I think in persecuted groups you have manipulators who take advantage of these sentiments and used that too isolate people from the rest of the world. It’s like teachers at mostly black schools in Eastern Wueens telling students to go to historically Black colleges in the Soutb. That isolated Black peoples from other races and again does the young no favours. Or in the Catalonia region of Spain ethnic pride wastes resources in instruction in a useless language Catalan, when it would be more useful for them to go to school with in Spanish and English.
The standards should be raised for all of these schools in order to receive federal funding. Didn't they try that with the Amish, but lost in court? I can't remember. The Islamic schools in NYC aren't any better.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:50 PM

Bronxguyanese said "Jews," not Hasidic Jews, who are the subject of this thread and who are running the schools that are under investigation. Not all Orthodox yeshivas are run this way. North Shore Hebrew Academy and Stella K Abrahms have done very well academically and in the Siemens science competition. They have an extended day with half of the day devoted to secular subjects and offer AP classes. And not all yeshivas follow Hasidic or even Orthodox doctrine. Bronxguyanese has made not just anti-Semtic remarks, but bigoted remarks towards other ethnic groups in past posts. I'll say it again. There are corrupt unethical Jews, including Hasidim. There are also corrupt unethical Guyanese. What this has to do with feminism, I have no clue. I have no idea what SJW means.

Thanks to all for the reps and private comments.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:52 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Bronxguyanese said "Jews," not Hasidic Jews, who are the subject of this thread and who are running the schools that are under investigation. Not all Orthodox yeshivas are run this way. North Shore Hebrew Academy and Stella K Abrahms have done very well academically and in the Siemens science competition. They have an extended day with half of the day devoted to secular subjects and offer AP classes. And not all yeshivas follow Hasidic or even Orthodox doctrine. Bronxguyanese has made not just anti-Semtic remarks, but bigoted remarks towards other ethnic groups in past posts. I'll say it again. There are corrupt unethical Jews, including Hasidim. There are also corrupt unethical Guyanese. What this has to do with feminism, I have no clue. I have no idea what SJW means.

Thanks to all for the reps and private comments.
I didnt read but I got the gist.

Lotta typing.

Gotta give Reps for the typing.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-21-2018, 09:57 PM

TOS: Hate speech, racism or bashing of ANY sort will NOT be tolerated. Rude posts will be removed and infractions issued. Do not quote or talk to trolls or your posts will also be deleted. Use the report feature instead.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:01 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToUES View Post
Regents degrees should be mandatory. Funding should be tied into passing rates. Bring in state proctors if there is suspicion of cheating.
LMAO

They are already

For decades

No more RCTs

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-21-2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToUES View Post
Private Schools, including the very elite ones, are exempt from the regents exams. Some offer the regents anyway. Others claim that since they meet the accreditation standards of agencies that have higher standards, regents exams are unnecessary. Even in the NYC public schools, a regents diploma is not required for graduation.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/11/n...-students.html

Last edited by Coney; 08-21-2018 at 10:16 PM..

Old 08-21-2018, 10:24 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I agree with that. Some of the Hasidim do act shamefully. And they do not represent all Orthodox Jews. They are a recent sect, representing a fundamentalist or extreme form. Bronxguyanese said Jews, not Hasidic Jews or named this particular segment of Hasidic Jews. That was some generalization.
I was mainly pointing out hasidics. That is why I said mainly. Unless you want me to distinguish hasidics from other sects? And what I said is not hate speech. You can not call speech that is ignorant hate speech. It has to have negative or evil context directed to people or a particular group.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:32 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Out of all of this. I hope yeshiva are willing to reform their education that goes in line with state recommendations. Same could be said for any private institution. It seems that private sexual institutions follow state guidelines compared to religious academic institutions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: