Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 02:02 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times

Advertisements

https://www.theatlantic.com/educatio...chools/564299/

NYC's public schools are the most segregated schools in the NATION.

This study from UCLA.
https://www.civilrightsproject.ucla....rt-placeholder

It's a huge image problem for NYC, and that's why de Blasio is finding ways to address it and deal with it.

Yes, Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansaw, Tennessee, North Carolina, Texas, Louisiana, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia all have more integrated school systems than NYC itself does.

It doesn't look good at all, and anyone trying to justify this is just plain in denial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 02:09 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Large swaths of the city are only black, only black and Latino, or in some cases only white (this study's gauge of segregation is exposure of black and Latino students to white students). So I would expect a zoned school in Cambria Heights or East Flatbush to have little to not white students.

East Brooklyn, Southeast Queens, most of The Bronx and upper Manhattan, still have few white families so it makes sense that there are few white kids in these schools.

Old 08-17-2018, 02:18 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Large swaths of the city are only black, only black and Latino, or in some cases only white (this study's gauge of segregation is exposure of black and Latino students to white students). So I would expect a zoned school in Cambria Heights or East Flatbush to have little to not white students.

East Brooklyn, Southeast Queens, most of The Bronx and upper Manhattan, still have few white families so it makes sense that there are few white kids in these schools.
https://www.epi.org/multimedia/segre...ks-department/

Read or listen to the works on Richard Rothstein on how the government created urban poverty and on how cities like NYC deliberately created residential segregation and again this makes NYC the most segregated place in the country.

"Not even the nation’s fight against the Nazis eliminated Jim Crow practices from New York City. When the city’s master builder, Robert Moses, expanded construction of housing, parks, playgrounds, highways and bridges in the decades following World War II, he adhered to ethnic composition rules for urban planning. This practice exacerbated the racial segregation that already existed in the city’s neighborhoods. The Federal Housing Authority’s neighborhood rating system and city zoning policies meant that New York City schools and neighborhoods grew even more segregated after the war."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.7e0ac0633196

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...n_5153739.html

On NYC being one of the nation's most segregated cities.

Old 08-17-2018, 02:19 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post

This is exactly it. It's not that the schools are segregated ao much as NYCs neighborhoods are segregated and since most districts are zoned, the schools are a reflection of the neighborhoods.

Old 08-17-2018, 07:29 AM

192 posts, read 187,581 times
Exactly, NYC is extremely segregated, when I see white people in my neighborhood I know something is up, I recently move and was driving with the kids and there was a family of white people, and my oldest went, "what are they doing around here?" I'm like I don't know, and we started to formulate theories, I won because I said they might be tourists, there are a couple of graffiti murals around and maybe they come to take pics, and a little bit further we found the bus. So yes, schools represent the neighborhoods they belong to.
Same deal when I used to live around the zoo, you knew that white people around there were going to the zoo and that only on Wednesday there was a bunch of them on the train.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:12 AM

I don't find NYC to be super segregated, I've been to a lot of other US cities and none of them looked more integrated. Boston looked considerably less intrgrated if anything.

What I do find though is that there doesn't seem to be a lot of organic white/black integration. In the past there were white flighting areas and now there are gentrifying areas (both cases "in transition").

But there is black/Latino integration, white/Latino itegration, white/Latino/Asian integration, black/Latino/Asian intregation, etc.

But why does everything have to revolve around white people? Maybe parents in Cambria Heights and Laurelton are perfectly happy sending their kids to to the all black school districts there.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:27 AM

192 posts, read 187,581 times
I only see white people at work and in the train (below 96th st). Some black/Asian/Latinos live in white areas but no whites live in black/Asian/Latino areas so it is segregated.
I am perfectly happy sending my kids to a school where there are no white people if the school were of the same quality, but since that is not the case, "integration" is always a topic. What we really mean is we want our schools to be like your schools, well funded, well maintained, well staffed, but because the school funding is tied to property taxes we can see how the housing segregation from Jim Crow era still has lasting effects.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:02 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,399 times
The definition of segregation is contrived. Latino's are not a race. There is a lot of diversity in NYC public school system that is simply ignored, because some people only like to view life through the prism of black and white.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:24 AM

1,183 posts, read 708,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
https://www.theatlantic.com/educatio...chools/564299/

NYC's public schools are the most segregated schools in the NATION.

This study from UCLA.
https://www.civilrightsproject.ucla....rt-placeholder

It's a huge image problem for NYC, and that's why de Blasio is finding ways to address it and deal with it.

Yes, Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansaw, Tennessee, North Carolina, Texas, Louisiana, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia all have more integrated school systems than NYC itself does.

It doesn't look good at all, and anyone trying to justify this is just plain in denial.

Not yet he isn't. Aside from proposals for the SHS (which are a tiny proportion of NYC schools anyway), and one or two highly publicized rezoning discussions, there's barely been any movement on the needle yet. There's been more hand-waving than actual finding ways so far. We'll see. He's also commented on the inequity of the NYC property tax system with black homeowners in ENY paying higher taxes than condo owners in Midtown - but he's also done jack about that too thus far.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedThatApt View Post
I only see white people at work and in the train (below 96th st). Some black/Asian/Latinos live in white areas but no whites live in black/Asian/Latino areas so it is segregated.
I am perfectly happy sending my kids to a school where there are no white people if the school were of the same quality, but since that is not the case, "integration" is always a topic. What we really mean is we want our schools to be like your schools, well funded, well maintained, well staffed, but because the school funding is tied to property taxes we can see how the housing segregation from Jim Crow era still has lasting effects.
There are many white people in Harlem, Washington Heights, and Inwood.

I thought that property taxes in NYC do not work like they do in the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City