Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 04:20 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,492,443 times

Advertisements

I've searched the build dates of many prewar midrise buildings in the East Village, Lower East Side, and Chinatown on various real estate sites, and it almost always says 1900, 1910, or 1920. That would be too much of a coincidence, so I'm guessing these are just guesses.

Does that mean the true build dates of these buildings are unknown? I would love to find out the exact years these were built. I wonder if some of these buildings were actually built in the late 1800s instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 04:32 AM

I am finding that Greenwich Village has some buildings listed as being built in 1890, that's fascinating to me. I'm on the quest for 1880 and earlier

Old 08-17-2018, 05:20 AM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I've searched the build dates of many prewar midrise buildings in the East Village, Lower East Side, and Chinatown on various real estate sites, and it almost always says 1900, 1910, or 1920. That would be too much of a coincidence, so I'm guessing these are just guesses.

Does that mean the true build dates of these buildings are unknown? I would love to find out the exact years these were built. I wonder if some of these buildings were actually built in the late 1800s instead.

Yes, in most cases true build dates are known. Records including original certificate of occupancy are with the Department of Buildings.

There are other sources as well such as deeds, tax assessment records, etc...

https://nysoclib.org/sites/default/f...20Building.pdf

https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&ct=clnk&gl=us

As for one or more buildings on same block (or even lot) having same year of erection; that isn't so far fetched. Much would depend upon what the land was (or rested upon it) prior to development and or whatever building you are looking at/for was erected.

If a block was a field, marsh, factory, a row of old homes, etc... that was sold to someone who redeveloped, then yes, one or more buildings may have gone up in same year.

Keep in mind also lower Manhattan (below Canal Street) was constantly changing as the city grew.

As I noted in another post area where Collect Pond park now sits was indeed Collect Pond which was drained and filled in with earth. Since then there were upscale homes then tenements (the wealthy didn't like the stench that came up from "collect pond". In fact that area was home to the notorious Five Points slum.

Old 08-17-2018, 05:21 AM

One of my favorite sites for looking up NYC streets/buildings: dof_1_00309_0026 - DOF: Manhattan 1980s Tax Photos

Old 08-17-2018, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Yes, in most cases true build dates are known. Records including original certificate of occupancy are with the Department of Buildings.

There are other sources as well such as deeds, tax assessment records, etc...

https://nysoclib.org/sites/default/f...20Building.pdf

https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&ct=clnk&gl=us

As for one or more buildings on same block (or even lot) having same year of erection; that isn't so far fetched. Much would depend upon what the land was (or rested upon it) prior to development and or whatever building you are looking at/for was erected.

If a block was a field, marsh, factory, a row of old homes, etc... that was sold to someone who redeveloped, then yes, one or more buildings may have gone up in same year.

Keep in mind also lower Manhattan (below Canal Street) was constantly changing as the city grew.

As I noted in another post area where Collect Pond park now sits was indeed Collect Pond which was drained and filled in with earth. Since then there were upscale homes then tenements (the wealthy didn't like the stench that came up from "collect pond". In fact that area was home to the notorious Five Points slum.
2 buildings going up the same year is not far fetched, but every single building in the neighborhood being built in a year that ends in 0 or 5 is far fetched. I wonder how they even make these estimations if they don't know the exact date.

Old 08-17-2018, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
2 buildings going up the same year is not far fetched, but every single building in the neighborhood being built in a year that ends in 0 or 5 is far fetched. I wonder how they even make these estimations if they don't know the exact date.
One again, you don't know what was on the lot, lots, or block before current building went up. If it was empty land, a large factory, etc... Maybe one person or a family owned entire block or several lots and sold.

Anyway as one suggested search official NYC agency websites, not third party. Though some like Emporis are better than others.

Only way to truly know when a building was erected is to find certificate of occupancy, deed, and or tax records.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:21 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,618,960 times
My building supposedly was built in 1900. I can definitely see it being built around that date as I straddle where the main elevated line that ran along Allen St was. The station was half a block from my apartment. The building is sound architecturally, but it's one of the more bland tenements of the time. It definitely has a more pre-law feel to it with the lack of proper air shafts. I find the air gets a little stuffy if I don't circulate it! That being said, I like it cold and usually run the AC in the winter, so there ya go.

I usually look deep into the buildings history when I choose an apartment haha. It's mostly to confirm issues like the landlord not handling hot/cold water issues or bedbugs, but I have a penchant for history and would even wager my favorite style of movie is documentary. If only it made good money, I would have majored in it in college.

Old 08-17-2018, 11:40 AM

198 posts, read 119,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
That being said, I like it cold and usually run the AC in the winter, so there ya go.
Is that safe to do? My building (built in late 1930s) all of a sudden became unbearably hot during the winter last year, and I had to resort to putting a fan in the window at night, even if it was in the 20s outside! Ridiculous.

I mentioned the issue to the board, and they said there's only so much they can do since it's an 80-year old building. I was tempted to reply, well, could we have the heat we had when it was, ummmm....a 79-year old building? Because that amount of heat (nice and low) was AWESOME.

Old 08-17-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riact View Post
Is that safe to do? My building (built in late 1930s) all of a sudden became unbearably hot during the winter last year, and I had to resort to putting a fan in the window at night, even if it was in the 20s outside! Ridiculous.

I mentioned the issue to the board, and they said there's only so much they can do since it's an 80-year old building. I was tempted to reply, well, could we have the heat we had when it was, ummmm....a 79-year old building? Because that amount of heat (nice and low) was AWESOME.
Perhaps some of the tenants like the heat like that, so they try to keep them happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
My building supposedly was built in 1900. I can definitely see it being built around that date as I straddle where the main elevated line that ran along Allen St was. The station was half a block from my apartment. The building is sound architecturally, but it's one of the more bland tenements of the time. It definitely has a more pre-law feel to it with the lack of proper air shafts. I find the air gets a little stuffy if I don't circulate it! That being said, I like it cold and usually run the AC in the winter, so there ya go.

I usually look deep into the buildings history when I choose an apartment haha. It's mostly to confirm issues like the landlord not handling hot/cold water issues or bedbugs, but I have a penchant for history and would even wager my favorite style of movie is documentary. If only it made good money, I would have majored in it in college.
1900 might just be an estimate, it could be even older!

Old 08-17-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
One again, you don't know what was on the lot, lots, or block before current building went up. If it was empty land, a large factory, etc... Maybe one person or a family owned entire block or several lots and sold.

Anyway as one suggested search official NYC agency websites, not third party. Though some like Emporis are better than others.

Only way to truly know when a building was erected is to find certificate of occupancy, deed, and or tax records.
My point is that almost none of the buildings were said to have been built in years that end in any number other than 0 or 5, that's too much of a coincidence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: