Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 08:20 AM

192 posts, read 187,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Dateline mentioned that we're having a homeless crisis country wide. The problem is not just in California, but across the country. California has failed to build enough housing which has sent costs skyrocketing. The same is true in places like Oregon and elsewhere out west. The other issue is no one wants homeless people in their backyards. It's a tough situation right now. We almost had a similar situation a few years ago, and we came out in force and stopped the city. Had it happened I would've been forced to move. There's also a lot of working people that are homeless. It's similar to infrastructure. It's an expensive endeavor to fix and everyone keeps kicking it down the road for the next person to fix.

Yes. The problem is across the country because rents are rising everywhere and everyone is sitting back and pretending like there isn't a problem. The truth is overall wages have been stagnant, even with all of this new money coming into NYC. We've always had homeless here and elsewhere, but the problem is growing. There are lots of kids that are still living at home, something I find hard to wrap my head around. In my day you moved out in your 20s or by 30 at least. Now it seems like everyone is either living at home or has several roommates. Outside of college I have never had roommates. I was joking with someone last night. We are roughly the same age, though the other person is a bit younger. I told them that I was living with 10 roommates and the person is like OH NO! LOL I told them it was a rarity to meet people these days that had their own place and are young and it's true. If young people can't even afford to rent their own apartment, what does that say about our housing market in the future? I guess we can keep depending on foreign investors, but I don't think there's an endless supply of them.
Yes the system is broken if people don't make enough to subsist... well soon the rich will flee with their money and leave the rest of us in chaos killing each other for a loaf of bread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 08:38 AM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Myself and others have been talking about the explosion of homeless in NYC (in particular Manhattan) for some time now. But you all thought we were being all extra and so forth.

Have mixed feelings on the matter; OTOH think of our own Wild Card Steve who one hopes and prays finally got the help he needed and deserved.

However on the other hand things are clearly getting out of control. Everywhere you go from Wall Street to Harlem and beyond there are homeless all over the place. And yes, many do have their own "turf" or hood. See the same people at the Chambers 1,2,3 station now for nearly over a year. Ditto the guy who camps out near the elevator for that station outside.

Walking home up First avenue last night there were homeless under nearly every scaffolding, or doorway from 59th into the 70's and further north.

There was the usual crowd going through the garbage at Morton Williams (First and 72nd), but more still wandering the streets, standing in middle of streets, pushing granny carts, digging for cans, sacked out and living rough.

This city is backsliding right to 1980's or 1970's. Between the state of subways, homeless everywhere, graffiti making a comeback, dirty streets and sidewalks... and so it goes.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:57 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedThatApt View Post
Yes the system is broken if people don't make enough to subsist... well soon the rich will flee with their money and leave the rest of us in chaos killing each other for a loaf of bread.
lol... Sad but true.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:26 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,423 times
Might be some truth that America has become too expensive for those that live in it. I haven't met a homeless person who I thought wasn't in a bad mental state though, so I don't think that's it entirely. It's a little strange that it grows, where do they all come from? It'd be one thing if the overall population stayed consistent, but they're growing everywhere in the US.

Regardless, we have winter. We'll never be as bad as California because of that alone.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:00 AM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Might be some truth that America has become too expensive for those that live in it. I haven't met a homeless person who I thought wasn't in a bad mental state though, so I don't think that's it entirely. It's a little strange that it grows, where do they all come from? It'd be one thing if the overall population stayed consistent, but they're growing everywhere in the US.

Regardless, we have winter. We'll never be as bad as California because of that alone.
Leaving aside the mentally ill; you just have far too many people homeless because they cannot afford NYC rents.

With all this gentrification there are simply fewer and fewer "cheap" much less affordable places for those not making $$$ to live.

The hot housing market also has emboldened landlords to be more picky about prospective tenants. Today you have to be CORRECT if trying to land an apartment. Don't have that 40X rent income? Bye-bye..... and Next!

Other end of the coin is what we all already know; the employment situation in this city is great for some, but many others are busting their behinds and still only bringing in <$40k or worse $30K or less per.

You see the desperation in all these GD "affordable" and "low" income housing threads.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:04 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Yet almost all homeless refused to be relocated outside of NYC even if they are given a private 1bedroom newly built apt upstate. It shows they are making it a choice issue not need.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:04 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post

A lot of the non-temporary homeless population consists of mentally ill, drug addicts, and career criminals

Old 08-20-2018, 10:05 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Myself and others have been talking about the explosion of homeless in NYC (in particular Manhattan) for some time now. But you all thought we were being all extra and so forth.

Have mixed feelings on the matter; OTOH think of our own Wild Card Steve who one hopes and prays finally got the help he needed and deserved.

However on the other hand things are clearly getting out of control. Everywhere you go from Wall Street to Harlem and beyond there are homeless all over the place. And yes, many do have their own "turf" or hood. See the same people at the Chambers 1,2,3 station now for nearly over a year. Ditto the guy who camps out near the elevator for that station outside.

Walking home up First avenue last night there were homeless under nearly every scaffolding, or doorway from 59th into the 70's and further north.

There was the usual crowd going through the garbage at Morton Williams (First and 72nd), but more still wandering the streets, standing in middle of streets, pushing granny carts, digging for cans, sacked out and living rough.

This city is backsliding right to 1980's or 1970's. Between the state of subways, homeless everywhere, graffiti making a comeback, dirty streets and sidewalks... and so it goes.
I always cringe when I see people walking in my neighborhood pushing a cart because there is no subway there and it is not that easily accessible. I haven't seen any in several weeks (thank God), but it's a nuisance either way. I think they come to the neighborhood for recycling primarily, but what people have been doing is putting out everything just before the trucks come in the morning, so that there is literally nothing to pick through. That's exactly what my super does, this way Sanitation can't come around ticketing the building for having a mess on the sidewalk.

I am really on guard though. My back up plan has always been to move to the suburbs if the City really tanks in terms of the quality of life and homeless overtaking the neighborhood. I don't think any neighborhood is off limits these days no matter how expensive it may be, and we've seen that with several neighborhoods in Manhattan and even in LIC where people are fighting a homeless shelter.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:10 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
There are a lot of homeless people here in Baldwin, too

Old 08-20-2018, 10:54 AM

6,687 posts, read 6,031,429 times
I think a lot of it has to do with the current Opioid crisis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City