Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2018, 12:31 PM

3 posts, read 6,533 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Currently living in Williamsburg but getting ready to take a job in Newark and evaluating my options for the location of my next place (my lease ends in October). Is commuting via NJ Transit from Penn to Newark Penn more or less desirable than taking the Path from WTC? Anyone else do this? I see a lot of horror stories about the NJ Transit rails but also wondering if it is as bad on a reverse commute.

Need to stay in the city as the gf works here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 12:32 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,614,993 times
Commute via the Path, it's cheaper. That's what my friend did, lived off of Fulton St in the Financial District.

Old 08-21-2018, 12:43 PM

Thanks for the response. Im not that concerned with the monthly cost difference between the rail and the PATH (about $50), just want what is most convenient and will cause the least amount of issues on a daily basis.

Old 08-21-2018, 12:57 PM

From a living perspective, probably Midtown. There's a lot more to do and more options for groceries and the like. Financial District is quieter and you do have all of what you need, but not as much of it. The Oculus is awesome to commute from, Penn Station is pretty dingy.

It's a bit of a wash. Having done both rides, they're both doable and pretty easy. I'd probably base it around what you'd like to live around. NJTransit might be faster, but you need to catch specific trains which aren't as often as they are on the PATH. Living near Penn Station you technically have both, though transferring during commute I usually avoid.

A good benefit though is that you'll be reverse commuting. That should make your ride regardless of the mode much nicer.

Old 08-21-2018, 03:29 PM

1,121 posts, read 591,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMTribe84 View Post
Currently living in Williamsburg but getting ready to take a job in Newark and evaluating my options for the location of my next place (my lease ends in October). Is commuting via NJ Transit from Penn to Newark Penn more or less desirable than taking the Path from WTC? Anyone else do this? I see a lot of horror stories about the NJ Transit rails but also wondering if it is as bad on a reverse commute.
Did you do some test runs? How did it go?

Old 08-21-2018, 06:13 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,203,415 times
PATH going out in the morning should be no problem, except traversing the crowd in the Oculus. For NJ Transit, you've got 4-5 trains per hour, so no real issues there. Both have problems more than occasionally; I'd make my choice based on other factors.

Old 08-22-2018, 06:21 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,612,325 times
I'll second the opinion to live in midtown or close to Penn Station. WTC isn't bad by any means but it feels too far from everything. Unless the goal is to live somewhere less hectic like Battery Park then there are plenty of apartments in Chelsea or midtown west, I'd shop around based on the neighborhood you like rather than the commute IMO.

Since the PATH train ultimately connects to 33rd an avenue away from Penn Station then living somewhere around there makes it an easy commute, it's easy to switch from the 33rd St PATH train to Newark train at either JSQ or Grove.

Old 08-22-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propman-nyc View Post
Did you do some test runs? How did it go?
Im starting the new job next Monday. Im commuting from Williamsburg in the meantime (L to either Path or ACE+NJ Transit) so will probably test each out and see which is preferable.

My big concern is people Ive talked to who take the PATH seem to be at least pretty happy, whereas I don't know many who take NJ Transit and am constantly reading in the news how bad its been the last year or two.

Old 08-22-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMTribe84 View Post
Im starting the new job next Monday. Im commuting from Williamsburg in the meantime (L to either Path or ACE+NJ Transit) so will probably test each out and see which is preferable.

My big concern is people Ive talked to who take the PATH seem to be at least pretty happy, whereas I don't know many who take NJ Transit and am constantly reading in the news how bad its been the last year or two.
There was a Amtrack derailing that really hampered a lot of NJTransit lines. It's hard to say. PATH is a subway while NJTransit is commuter rail. Because of that, NJTransit is possibly more comfortable than the PATH (basically, if you can get a seat, it's more pleasant than any subway ride), though the PATH has newer and better looking and feeling trains [to me].

I still think though that because of the reverse commute, your experience may be a lot different than others just due to the nature of rush hour. I remember taking the J train out to Jamaica at 8a and I forgot my Priority Pass for the lounge at JFK. I was going to get out at Marcy but saw the mass of people waiting for the train on the other side. I decided not to bother haha! Reverse commuting is a blessing in disguise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: