Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 09:01 PM

1,033 posts, read 667,087 times

Advertisements

So when some conservatives say liberalism is a disease, this is what they’re referring to. It was decided before they held a ‘discussion’ with parents.
The premise is, having a white majority school is bad. Another premise is- selecting students based on merit is also bad. How the f*** do they still have jobs ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 09:02 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,621,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I don't know. I mean growing up I went to public school in one of the outer boroughs and I had friends of all backgrounds. That still didnn't stop us from cracking jokes about each other's backgrounds.

You also form your own clicks. That's sort of my point. You can I foster integration. People will hang out with those who they feel comfortable with.
You can't force people to be friends with anyone, but why not try to create opportunities for socialization in school with kids from different backgrounds and races? To me it seems like a good goal.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:04 PM

12,774 posts, read 8,233,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
You can't force people to be friends with anyone, but why not try to create opportunities for socialization in school with kids from different backgrounds and races? To me it seems like a good goal.
Yeah but that just begs the question of why people try to self-segregate to begin with...

Old 08-21-2018, 09:05 PM

5,061 posts, read 4,928,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Latino SJWs aren't like that, they tend to make themselves out to be victims.

And it's not just half black people, in my experience most people who are mixed with white and anything else do not consider themselves white.

From what I know about asian/white mixes, the kids try very hard to make sure that you know their whiteness before unwilling admitting that they are half asian, even though the majority of them look very asian, but due to the disadvantaged social status associated with asian americans, they prefer to avoid anything to do with their asian inheritance, which i fully understand.

it is clear that this country ranks black>white>brown at the moment, thanks to race warriors like carribny who is willing and daring to twist anything his way...

Old 08-21-2018, 09:06 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,621,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Yeah but that just begs the question of why people try to self-segregate to begin with...
Fear is probably a major motivator.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:10 PM

12,774 posts, read 8,233,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
From what I know about asian/white mixes, the kids try very hard to make sure that you know their whiteness before unwilling admitting that they are half asian, even though the majority of them look very asian, but due to the disadvantaged social status associated with asian americans, they prefer to avoid anything to do with their asian inheritance, which i fully understand.

it is clear that this country ranks black>white>brown at the moment, thanks to race warriors like carribny who is willing and daring to twist anything his way...
I hate to stereotype but caribny is West Indian. It seems as if they can be rather close minded to the idea of a black/white person identifying with both sides and calling themselves biracial. It could be the English influence and their one drop rule like they instilled here in America. Even so is this guy this old that he can't get with the times? It's 2018 and there are so many biracial and multi-racial kids out here that these stupid little neat boxes just don't work anymore.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:12 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,876,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Fear is probably a major motivator.
I don't think it is fear. Even the biggest advocate for integration Nikole Hanna Jones, is willing to admit there has been issues with her daughter attending a high poverty school (P.S. 307 - Farragut Houses). The real question is why subject your kid to bad experiences, if you don't have to and whether you consider yourself a good parent for doing that to your kid.

How many of you are willing to share your homes with homeless people? Both housing and school are difficult to integrate because they are very personal experience.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:14 PM

112 posts, read 74,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speediestevie View Post
So when some conservatives say liberalism is a disease, this is what they’re referring to. It was decided before they held a ‘discussion’ with parents.
The premise is, having a white majority school is bad. Another premise is- selecting students based on merit is also bad. How the f*** do they still have jobs ?
Or maybe you are willfully misinterpreting the entire thing. It’s not that it’s not about merit. It’s that the standards used to measure merit have been propping up a deeply unequal and segregated system. Having a white majority school in a city where the majority of the population are not white is bad lol. It’s a problem. That’s segregation being used to benefit and further privilege an already privileged group of students. A lot of those students have parents who can afford to get them extra tutoring as well to make sure they really excel. Segregation in schools is an issue that needs addressing. If you have a better idea of how to desegregate them, please share with the group.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:17 PM

1,339 posts, read 1,673,336 times
I see no problem with having a white majority school. Some neighborhoods are majority white. Why is that a bad thing?

The problem is the system not sharing resources equally, not the fact that some schools are white. The problem is that the white schools get better stuff, not that they are white.

It’s ridiculous to force diversity and ignore all the other ways the system is broken, as if bussing in some kids of color will suddenly make things better. NYC needs to do more for kids of color, not just using this as a bandaid.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:20 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,439,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
I see no problem with having a white majority school. Some neighborhoods are majority white. Why is that a bad thing?
I think diversity is a good thing, but that is true to some extent. There are many schools that have little to no white kids, also.

Is de Blasio planning on getting more white kids into the schools of the Bronx, Eastern Brooklyn and Southeast Queens?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City