Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2018, 09:35 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,531,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Oh please. The city will be giving them tax breaks with PUBLIC monies, so the notion that they can do whatever they please is absurd. ..

And so the city as well as the neighborhood do have a right to negotiate public benefits in exchange for this tax credits. Not sure that they can tell them what to do with the building, but they can certainly demand that what ever the building is used for must bring benefits to the local community.

After all these Westchester folks (if they arrive, and that is another question) will be driving down to the rink, given their perception that the Bronx is dangerous. Where will they park? Is a garage part of the deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
You're starting to sound like a communist. The owners of the rink aren't obliged to do what activists want.

And they do have healthy food, it's available at every grocery store.
So they aren't going to get tax credits either. If they take the credits then they have to negotiate public benefits.

I bet that tax credits, zoning, or some other "public good" are part of this deal.

Old 08-24-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Where are ppl gonna park?

That sounds fun, lugging hockey equipment on the train and finding somewhere to park around Kingsbridge Road

They shoulda put this in Staten Island or Queens to be quite honest
If the target is Manhattan then this can work. They will jump on the #4.

If the target is Westchester, good luck. MTA had to build a stop by Yankee Stadium as part of the new arena deal. Why? Westchester folks were terrified about driving there.

Old 08-24-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
If a large parking garage is not a part of the proposed project already, you can be certain that it will be built in the area by a separate developer. The Armory, the building that motivated this entire enterprise, is not located in Staten Island or Queens, it is located in the Bronx.

In order to get rid of ghetto problems, one has to look beyond things that just continue the ghetto culture forever. That is what poor communities (and their "activists") fail to see. Something that brings a unique content and many associated low-level jobs to the area will improve the life of the low-paid people in the community much more than a handout-based content that will bring nothing but more crime and misery.
This is a dense area. Where will this big parking garage go if not in the Armory?

The rest of your ignorance about the local people is noted. I bet you don't use the #4 in that area to see how crowded they are during rush hour, and in fact even at other times of the day. Yes "ghetto" people do work.

Old 08-24-2018, 09:43 AM

34,018 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post

If the target is Westchester, good luck. MTA had to build a stop by Yankee Stadium as part of the new arena deal. Why? Westchester folks were terrified about driving there.
If the target is Manhattan, then it will only be a matter of time before eastern Washington Heights and the west side of the Bronx see gentrification on a rapid scale

It will happen to Inwood first, this ice rink should be done by the time Inwood is about 75% gentrified, then it will sweep down....

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-24-2018, 09:44 AM

The west Bronx has some of the best topographical views in the city

It will be a wrap soon

Old 08-24-2018, 09:45 AM

If I had coin, west side is where I would be putting my money right now...

Old 08-24-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
If it were me and I was developing it as someone who has worked in that world in management, I would have it be a multi-use facility. You could do maybe two rinks. One for the general public, and one could be for teams looking for ice time and when the other one isn't in use have that one be rented for ice time too. The key to this project being successful is having the spaces be occupied with enough revenue to come in to generate a profit. Demographics do matter and you have to take that into account. It's like me opening up an organic coffee shop in University Heights and expecting to make a profit selling pastries and coffee for $5.00 a pop and up. I say this as someone who lives near such a place. It does well because there are people here who can afford such prices and enough of them to keep the place busy.

It's just simple economics. 750,000 sq ft is a MASSIVE amount of space to fill, upkeep and oversee and as a result it is very expensive to maintain from a cost standpoint so prices have to be kept with that in mind. If envisioned right that place could be a hub for outsiders and locals alike, which could definitely spur more development. There are some blocks that have professionals on it with nice houses etc. I think right on Davidson. A few co-ops too, so the area isn't totally working class and thus there is potential.
Good points. This is a PRIVATE project so will have to be viable to succeed. Even with all of the tax credits that I bet they plan to get.

Old 08-24-2018, 09:52 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,474,252 times
Quote:
So they aren't going to get tax credits either. If they take the credits then they have to negotiate public benefits.

I bet that tax credits, zoning, or some other "public good" are part of this deal.
Well they'll have to weigh their options over the coming years.

I think it would be good if the project benefitted the community, but I also don't think they're obliged to do what anti gentrification activists want.

I really think there's a knee jerk reaction with some people every time there's talks of something nice coming to any black or Hispanic neighborhood, and I think that's offensive.

Old 08-24-2018, 09:54 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,474,252 times
Quote:

I'm sure private bus would be a transportation method for many of the players
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City