Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2018, 01:50 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,388,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
It’s nice that Messier is involved in this project. I’d like to see Graves in it as well. He has always been heavily involved in community outreach.

Yeah? A couple of pages earlier on this same thread, you said Messier's involvement meant nothing because sportsmen were not businessmen and only knew how to lose all their money :-).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 01:52 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
To my knowledge, nothing was broken up by anybody. The Bronx, like every other place in the US, started its post-native tribal history as a group of homesteads, later country estates (usually owned by financially properous people, who else would own country estates?), which is probably the collection of areas to which you are referring - but they weren't broken up from a larger settlement - the large settlement formed with the influx of poor European immigrants when the spaces between estates got filled with family houses and apartment buildings. Then between the 1970s and 1990s about 80% of the European-sourced population (which by then largely progressed from poverty to middle class) got replaced by other races. The part of the Bronx east of the Bronx River was Westchester County until 1895, when it was annexed to the Bronx and NYC.
The Bronx like Brooklyn was mainly farmland. Rich families took the land and divided it up. You need a history lesson. A lot of the street names in NYC today dawn the names of these people... The Delafields, Pierreponts, Livingstons, etc. These were rich families who used their wealth to form various parts of NYC.

Being a New Yorker, I've always been fascinated by all of this. All this talk about history and this facility... I need to do some research on this building, who built it and why. Given how big and opulent it is, I'd be willing to bet that a very prominent family built it as a sign of their wealth, which was quite common in NYC back in the day. It is really a beautiful building. Whatever takes place there, I hope they do it right.

Old 08-29-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:

Yeah? A couple of pages earlier on this same thread, you said Messier's involvement meant nothing because sportsmen were not businessmen and only knew how to lose all their money :-).
I still stand by that in terms of the project failing. Don't confuse things. Mark Messier's name should be on such a project given his legacy here in NYC, what he meant to the Rangers and to this city from a sports perspective bringing the team's first Stanley Cup in over 50 years. However, I still have a hard time believing that he'll be able to pull this off. He's a Canadian boy from Alberta. He would probably be better off doing something there. NYC is a whole different ballgame when it comes to real estate and turning a profit.

Old 08-29-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
The Bronx like Brooklyn was mainly farmland. Rich families took the land and divided it up. You need a history lesson. A lot of the street names in NYC today dawn the names of these people... The Delafields, Pierreponts, Livingstons, etc. These were rich families who used their wealth to form various parts of NYC.

Being a New Yorker, I've always been fascinated by all of this. All this talk about history and this facility... I need to do some research on this building, who built it and why. Given how big and opulent it is, I'd be willing to bet that a very prominent family built it as a sign of their wealth, which was quite common in NYC back in the day. It is really a beautiful building. Whatever takes place there, I hope they do it right.

You need a history lesson (as well as various other lessons). Pierrepont settled in Brooklyn, I believe, not the Bronx. Who owned the allegedly uniform "farmland" in the Bronx before "the rich" allegedly "broke it up" per your previous post? I believe there was no farmland in the Bronx until some Europeans settled there, and became rich from the land, not the way around (I believe Pierrepont came back to America primarily because he bankrupted in Europe :-).

Regarding a "prominent family" building an armory, you would bet wrong (which doesn't surprise me). An armory houses military (I think National Guard in this case, though I am not sure... I guess I do need a lecture in history... heh, but at least I don't need one in refraining from clueless posturing :-). An armory would generally be built by a government.:sma ck:

Last edited by elnrgby; 08-29-2018 at 02:26 PM..

Old 08-29-2018, 02:10 PM

34,090 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
I still stand by that in terms of the project failing. Don't confuse things. Mark Messier's name should be on such a project given his legacy here in NYC, what he meant to the Rangers and to this city from a sports perspective bringing the team's first Stanley Cup in over 50 years. However, I still have a hard time believing that he'll be able to pull this off. He's a Canadian boy from Alberta. He would probably be better off doing something there. NYC is a whole different ballgame when it comes to real estate and turning a profit.
I'm sure he has ppl helping him

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-29-2018, 02:52 PM

Incidentally, Pierrepont's genius hypothesis ("as a New Yorker" fascinated by New York buildings and families) that an armory was built by a prominent family reminds me of a question from my US immigration exam: which ocean is adjacent to the Pacific Coast? Atlantic Ocean, of course! Likewise, why would an army build an armory?

Old 08-29-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Incidentally, Pierrepont's genius hypothesis ("as a New Yorker" fascinated by New York buildings and families) that an armory was built by a prominent family reminds me of a question from my US immigration exam: which ocean is adjacent to the Pacific Coast? Atlantic Ocean, of course! Likewise, why would an army build an armory?
Not sure what you're going on about. You should stick to Parkchester... I think they're calling for you at the Oval...

Old 08-29-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Not sure what you're going on about. You should stick to Parkchester... I think they're calling for you at the Oval...

I'm going about the fact that one must have a shockingly low fund of general education in order to think that "prominent families" built early 20th century military buildings in the US. I am not sure what people of that description should stick to, but certainly not to giving "educational" advice to anyone else :-).

Old 08-29-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I'm going about the fact that one must have a shockingly low fund of general education in order to think that "prominent families" built early 20th century military buildings in the US. I am not sure what people of that description should stick to, but certainly not to giving "educational" advice to anyone else :-).
I didn't know what that building was quite frankly. I've never bothered to look and just made a general comment. I did know that it was huge though. Historically speaking, such things have occurred. I read briefly about it though just now, and it clearly wasn't an armory that long, as it was it eventually became a tourist destination.

Old 08-29-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
I didn't know what that building was quite frankly. I've never bothered to look and just made a general comment. I did know that it was huge though. Historically speaking, such things have occurred. I read briefly about it though just now, and it clearly wasn't an armory that long, as it was it eventually became a tourist destination.

Alright kiddo, I am already aware of what you are, don't bury yourself any deeper in it :-). The military owned the building for almost the entire 20th century, til mid-1990s, when it was either bought by or donated to the City of New York. It has been kept closed since then, not exactly a tourist destination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City