Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 09:47 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,635,068 times

Advertisements

I dont know if this is the right forum, but since I live in NYC, here goes.

I am having an event at a restaurant and my question regarding the tip is.
do I give 20 percent of the amount before tax or including tax?

13 people at 65 a head is 845.00
tax on that is 75.00
total is 920.00

do i take 20 percent of the 845.00 which would be 169.00

or do i do the 20 percent of the total including tax at 920.00 which would be 184.00

I do not like to be cheap, but will do this all on the credit card so i dont know what to really do.

Uusally when having dinner out i just leave what ever I fell for the tip, and im generous....

but since this is a planned event I will leave the tip on the credit card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 09:59 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,929,140 times
Tips are based off pre-taxed amount!

Old 08-24-2018, 10:00 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
I would not tip until after the event. Tipping in advance just emboldens people to give you whatever service. That's just being a sucker. I've been at bars and elsewhere with several friends. Granted it wasn't a planned event but still. I paid for everyone with my AMEX and left the tip on my card after we were done and everyone paid me what they owed in cash. That's the best way to do it, or if the service is really great, leave the tip in cash. I believe that once you go over a certain amount the waiter should be giving something on the house.

When I've eaten out at restaurants in Midtown like one of Alain Ducasse's places, I'd spend about $120 or so on lunch or dinner. Once I surpassed $100.00, my next glass of wine was on the house, so I'd tip $20.00 either on the AMEX or in cash. Another rule I live by... I don't tip on taxes, only on the actual amount of the bill.

Old 08-24-2018, 10:16 AM

1,486 posts, read 989,013 times
Always tip before tax. And as stated above hold your tip until the end incase you get rude service, cold food or undesirable conditions like silverware with food stuck on them.

Old 08-24-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayLove View Post
Tips are based off pre-taxed amount!
It should be that way, but some people tip based on the amount AND the tax... No way am I doing that!!

Since we're talking about tipping in NYC forum though, I will say that it is definitely different in other places. In parts of Europe for example, the gratuity is already added in before automatically depending on the party size. This seems to be happening here in NYC too at some places, and I've been paying attention just in case it becomes the norm. I had a business lunch at Il Corso a while back with someone who was visiting me from Montréal. I have no idea what she tipped since it was just the two of us (we ordered a bottle for us and several dishes and dessert which easily ran to around $200.00 or more), but I was checking out the menus out of curiosity because places that don't list their prices online are the types of places you need to watch out for since they assume people eating there can fork it over anyway, so why not. lol

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 08-24-2018 at 10:28 AM..

Old 08-24-2018, 10:52 AM

108 posts, read 81,580 times
Before taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I would not tip until after the event. Tipping in advance just emboldens people to give you whatever service. That's just being a sucker. I've been at bars and elsewhere with several friends. Granted it wasn't a planned event but still. I paid for everyone with my AMEX and left the tip on my card after we were done and everyone paid me what they owed in cash. That's the best way to do it, or if the service is really great, leave the tip in cash. I believe that once you go over a certain amount the waiter should be giving something on the house.

I'll gladly tip any other workers without any feelings, especially drivers, but when it comes to the restaurant industry, it's a total different feeling. Most of these people feel entitled and will treat you like crap if you tip them the minimum, take a look at all the social media shaming of pro athletes who tipped little. I worked hard in my younger days, I also worked for tips, my work ethics made me focus more towards doing a good job than prioritizing those who tip better than those who don't. I treat everyone equally no matter what kind social economy status they're representing, I understood that a tip is a tip, it's not mandatory, and I wasn't entitled to it. A tip is an act of kindness that shows someone really appreciated the service you provided to them and believe you went above and beyond to do so. Nowadays people are forced to tip out of pity otherwise they'll end up being shamed by some servers on social media.

Old 08-24-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyPenguin View Post
Before taxes.

I'll gladly tip any other workers without any feelings, especially drivers, but when it comes to the restaurant industry, it's a total different feeling. Most of these people feel entitled and will treat you like crap if you tip them the minimum, take a look at all the social media shaming of pro athletes who tipped little. I worked hard in my younger days, I also worked for tips, my work ethics made me focus more towards doing a good job than prioritizing those who tip better than those who don't. I treat everyone equally no matter what kind social economy status they're representing, I understood that a tip is a tip, it's not mandatory, and I wasn't entitled to it. A tip is an act of kindness that shows someone really appreciated the service you provided to them and believe you went above and beyond to do so. Nowadays people are forced to tip out of pity otherwise they'll end up being shamed by some servers on social media.
I have heard of waiters coming after diners who have paid and are now leaving and running after them to protest about the tip they gave and why they didn't give more. That is just unconscionable to me that any waiter would have the balls to pull such a stunt. I have yet to have it happen and if it did they would be cursed out. Years ago I was eating breakfast at a spot in TriBeCa that has since closed. I went there because I loved their buttermilk and ricotta pancakes. I had seconds of what I ordered. Bill comes to around $50.00 or so. Now I'm waiting for the bill. Up to then I had no quarrels with the service and was planning to tip 20%. Well I sat there and waited and waited and waited, and as I did, I could feel my blood boiling.

Then it happened. Before I knew it, I EXPLODED, got up, went to the bar and gave it to the guy who was doing everything under the sun but coming to give me my damn bill. I demanded it immediately, he ran my AMEX and I paid and got the hell out of there and left zero for the tip. I explained to him in advance that I had been sitting there for a good 20 minutes watching him with no one else to be waited on while he did XY and Z. He was apologizing profusely, but at that point it didn't matter. I was furious. I was in no hurry, but at the same time, don't take my leisure time for granted. I did have somewhere to be and I wanted to get there sometime during that day, not wait until he felt like coming over again!

Old 08-24-2018, 11:15 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,163,127 times
Always before... and why do you think you should tip 20% when you don't even know yet what kind of service you should get. Tips shouldn't be "automatic" and they certainly should't be planned for the highest nominal amount before knowing what service you will get.

Also, make sure the vendor isn't already planning to add in an minimum tip which can typically be 18% or more.

Old 08-24-2018, 11:22 AM

178 posts, read 147,723 times
I live in New York City too, and it has been my experience that restaurants generally will add a service charge for parties of six or larger. This policy is usually stated on the menu. I think the easiest thing to do would be to contact the restaurant and ask about the service charge. If the service charge is included, then you would be under no obligation to add anything more, unless you felt that the service was outstanding, in which case you could add a little more. That would be up to you.

Old 08-24-2018, 02:26 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
And when we all get uised to 20% tipping, it will re raised to 25%.

Get rid of tipping altogether.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: