Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 09:56 AM

33,926 posts, read 47,176,935 times

Advertisements

When I buy something to drink from now on, I'm just going to let them pour it into my hands

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 10:10 AM

12,776 posts, read 8,253,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
European regulations on food and products makes the US look like China. Just saying.
Agreed. That's why I buy a lot from Italy, France, Germany etc. in addition to American made products. Their regulations are VERY stringent, and the quality is very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
The new Samsung and I-phones are going to launch soon. Everyone is going to trade in their old phones for newer versions with pretty simple upgrades.

Recycling technology is extremely difficult. You have to do lots of QA and using the parts to create a "Frankenstein" phone is very risky.

I still have my I-Phone 6 from June 2015. It runs the same. The battery health percentage is at 86%. This is the measure of capacity relative to when it was a new battery.

I have a HP desktop that i purchased in August 2011 that runs fine. I recently upgraded the Ram from 6 to 10. I have 500 gigs of hard-drive space down from 1 Terabyte of hard-drive space. I bought a new monitor but everything else is the same (keyboard, mouse, and speakers).

Senseless consumerism needs to be checked. Fast retailing is not realistic nor necessary. Upgrading your phone or computer is also not necessary.
I have an old laptop that I will be parting ways with eventually. It is about 5 years old and I am tired of it. The hard drive has started giving me problems, so I will have to get it rid of once I pick a new one. I still have all of my old cell phones though. I have to take those and wipe them and take them to Best Buy. I've been doing research online about who takes old phones and recycles them. They make this very complicated though and it shouldn't be. Verizon can also take back your phones.

I have two Rowenta irons that I need to recycle as well... Made in Germany. You have to take those to a recycling place, so I'll get around to that at some point, but other than that I don't have anything else. I buy laptops because they don't waste much electricity, are eco-friendly, compact and I can carry them around when I want to take them and recycle them.

My Sony Bravia TV is around seven years old. Runs perfectly and looks brand new as I clean it regularly. Also eco-friendly, which I like. I don't believe in getting a new this and that every time something new comes out. Buy quality and take care of what you have. This iPad I just got... I'll be keeping it until it absolutely has to be upgraded. I got 512 GB of space on it so plenty of storage. I watched a documentary called "Trash Inc: The Secret Life of Garbage" years ago that really opened my eyes to the amount of trash we create. I don't go around lecturing people, but I do try to do my part in reducing my carbon foot print. I wish others would do the same.

Yesterday this guy was eating an orange and just throwing the peels all over the sidewalk. I wanted to punch him out. Kept throwing the peels near the garbage can instead of walking over and putting them in there. This is why our city is so filthy.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:13 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,751,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Let's face it... Eco-friendly and biodegradable products tend to cost more. It's more expensive to produce those products.
I'm speaking more about product that has excessive packaging for no good reason. My mind is gone blank, but some things are sealed in so many layers of packaging that I have to pull out a scissors (or a chisel) to get it open.

Quote:
The only thing I would like to cut down on is my paper towel usage, but they are just more sanitary and can be disposed of.
Sanitary is overrated. We are fanatics about it, and it makes us less healthy. I'm not saying things need not to be clean, but an obsession about germs and the methods used to combat them is the reason we now have supergerms. It's not necessary.

Quote:
Where possible though I try to limit my consumption of it, so no plastic bags outside of delivery.
I often forget to bring my reusable bags. But I do use the plastic bags to group my recyclables and to deposit kitty litter. I also use them when I break glass and need somewhere to put the glass. (Then I bunch them.)

Quote:
One of the reasons that I am a big believer in buying local and Made in USA is our products have more stringent regulations. The stuff from China doesn't. I had to look long and hard when buying reusable bags. I wanted cotton ones and I wanted ones Made in USA. Almost all of the free ones that are given out are filled with chemicals and made in China. No thanks.
I don't really need many bags to begin with because I usually go shopping with my cart. (It's like a stroller but it has a bag inside of it.) I also put my laundry in it and I can wash the liner. So when I can, I just don't get a bag though for many reasons, it's better to have something lining it.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
The new Samsung and I-phones are going to launch soon. Everyone is going to trade in their old phones for newer versions with pretty simple upgrades.

Recycling technology is extremely difficult. You have to do lots of QA and using the parts to create a "Frankenstein" phone is very risky.

I still have my I-Phone 6 from June 2015. It runs the same. The battery health percentage is at 86%. This is the measure of capacity relative to when it was a new battery.

I have a HP desktop that i purchased in August 2011 that runs fine. I recently upgraded the Ram from 6 to 10. I have 500 gigs of hard-drive space down from 1 Terabyte of hard-drive space. I bought a new monitor but everything else is the same (keyboard, mouse, and speakers).

Senseless consumerism needs to be checked. Fast retailing is not realistic nor necessary. Upgrading your phone or computer is also not necessary.
Yeah I still have my iPhone 6. I saw no reason to upgrade because it didn't really slow down that much and still works fine for me. That, and I prefer wired headphones. Bluetooth is a battery killer. Eventually, I will need to because of planned obsolescence. It's a big nut to swallow every 2 years as well.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:23 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,062,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
Yeah I still have my iPhone 6. I saw no reason to upgrade because it didn't really slow down that much and still works fine for me. That, and I prefer wired headphones. Bluetooth is a battery killer. Eventually, I will need to because of planned obsolescence. It's a big nut to swallow every 2 years as well.
I agree on Bluetooth. I have it off and i also make sure that certain apps don't refresh in the background nor use my data and i feel that this saves on battery life and it makes the phone not work too hard.

My monthly bill is 66.00 with Verizon. Unlimited talk/text with 5 gigs of data that i can roll over. I always have data that i can roll over.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I still have all of my old cell phones though. I have to take those and wipe them and take them to Best Buy. I've been doing research online about who takes old phones and recycles them. They make this very complicated though and it shouldn't be. Verizon can also take back your phones.
I understand they charge a small fee to take your old electronics. What I don't like about that is they go ahead and refurbish it and then sell it for profit for someone else while still collecting money from you. There is something pretty messed up about that.

Quote:
My Sony Bravia TV is around seven years old. Runs perfectly and looks brand new as I clean it regularly.
Do you have it set to turn off automatically after 2 or 4 hours? Mine is set up that way.
I have a newer model because my older one died randomly. I believe it was the power supply. It cost more to fix than to buy, so I gave it away on Craigslist and bought a new one.

Quote:
This iPad I just got... I'll be keeping it until it absolutely has to be upgraded. I got 512 GB of space on it so plenty of storage.
I'm on my 2nd iPad since 2010. (I sold it to a single mom who wanted a game machine for her young kids.) I got a deal with BestBuy and bought a 2nd in the line model which in the end, only cost me $200 between the BestBuy discount, the selling of the Ipad2 and it being the next in line model. Not a bad deal for the time. I have gone through more phones becaus I started on the iPhone 3g. I had to buy the 4 because the 3G became unusable. It was too slow. I didn't upgrade to the 5 because I had a short in the phone and the insurance gave me a 5C which was faster than my 4. From there I went straight to the 6. My next phone will probably be an 8. But I dunno. This one works just fine. We shall see. All of my old phones were passed down to my kid, who eventually breaks the phone or drops it in water.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
When I buy something to drink from now on, I'm just going to let them pour it into my hands
LOL... I don't go that far. I mean I do use a mug in my office. I only drink water so it gets cleaned and dried at the end of the day. No need for all of those paper cups. Long story short... We can all reduce our waste. We WASTE a lot in this country... I mean when I go to the supermarket, I do try to look for things that are eco-friendly where possible, but I'm not going all out like this chick. I am NOT using someone's old couch. That's where I cross the line!

My girlfriend, she kills me with how much she throws out. We like in a society of over consumption. We need to scale back. We buy too much food that is thrown out, too much of everything.

Quote:
I'm speaking more about product that has excessive packaging for no good reason. My mind is gone blank, but some things are sealed in so many layers of packaging that I have to pull out a scissors (or a chisel) to get it open.
I can agree with that. Whole Foods has been moving to reduce that sort of thing. I like that they are using more things that can simply be recycled after you use it.

Quote:
Sanitary is overrated. We are fanatics about it, and it makes us less healthy. I'm not saying things need not to be clean, but an obsession about germs and the methods used to combat them is the reason we now have supergerms. It's not necessary.
True, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I mean if you need to blow your nose, I'm sorry, I'm using a paper towel and it's going into the garbage. I'm not even bothering to try to use some handkerchief.

Quote:
I often forget to bring my reusable bags. But I do use the plastic bags to group my recyclables and to deposit kitty litter. I also use them when I break glass and need somewhere to put the glass. (Then I bunch them.)
I always keep a few Whole Foods bag in one of my office drawers. When I know I'm going shopping I'll take one or two of them with me depending on how much shopping I plan on doing. They give $0.05 cents for each bag too. Good deal... I mean everything is in packaging or some sort of box so the bag is fine. Once they get old, I'll swap them out and use them for my garbage.

Quote:
I don't really need many bags to begin with because I usually go shopping with my cart. (It's like a stroller but it has a bag inside of it.) I also put my laundry in it and I can wash the liner. So when I can, I just don't get a bag though for many reasons, it's better to have something lining it.
Agreed. CVS really bugs me out. I never use a bag there. For a few items, I usually have a paper bag with me, so I just put the things in there. Then they print out those HUGE receipts. Unbelievable. I have signed up for electronic receipts with them. No paper wasted, receipts and coupons are e-mailed to me, and it is much faster too.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 08-27-2018 at 10:38 AM..

Old 08-27-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
I understand they charge a small fee to take your old electronics. What I don't like about that is they go ahead and refurbish it and then sell it for profit for someone else while still collecting money from you. There is something pretty messed up about that.
Yeah, either that or they'll pay you a few bucks to take it. I don't mind either way. I just prefer that it is recycled. Back in the day, I'd use Blackberries. I had a friend who would gladly take my old phones. I take care of them so they are gently used and he was very hard on phones. Dropping them, etc. That's why only recently I've started to have old phones hanging around. I try to hold on to the old one in case the new one has a problem, this way I don't have to run out and get a new one right away. As you said they aren't cheap. My last phone was around $800 and now the latest ones are over $1k!! No way!!

Quote:
Do you have it set to turn off automatically after 2 or 4 hours? Mine is set up that way. I have a newer model because my older one died randomly. I believe it was the power supply. It cost more to fix than to buy, so I gave it away on Craigslist and bought a new one.
I have been putting my iPad on at night with Hulu. If I fall asleep and the iPad isn't touched eventually, the app will ask if I'm still there and shut off. I don't have a timer on the TV. That said, my bills are very low since most other lights are off and are eco-friendly. My last bill was around $44 and that's with me cooking regularly.

Quote:
I'm on my 2nd iPad since 2010. (I sold it to a single mom who wanted a game machine for her young kids.) I got a deal with BestBuy and bought a 2nd in the line model which in the end, only cost me $200 between the BestBuy discount, the selling of the Ipad2 and it being the next in line model. Not a bad deal for the time. I have gone through more phones becaus I started on the iPhone 3g. I had to buy the 4 because the 3G became unusable. It was too slow. I didn't upgrade to the 5 because I had a short in the phone and the insurance gave me a 5C which was faster than my 4. From there I went straight to the 6. My next phone will probably be an 8. But I dunno. This one works just fine. We shall see. All of my old phones were passed down to my kid, who eventually breaks the phone or drops it in water.
This one cost me over $1,000 because of the storage but it has been worth it. Sound quality is good, it's light and picture quality is excellent too. I use it a lot when I'm cooking. I'll put on Fast Money and catch up on the latest business news when I'm prepping dinner.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:00 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,013,759 times
We take silverware to cheap restaurants that have plastic-ware.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kefir king View Post
we take silverware to cheap restaurants that have plastic-ware.
lmao
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City