Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 07:59 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times

Advertisements

Has anyone heard about the City sending the tractor-trailer sized shredder around this Summer, like they did last?

I need to do a couple cubic feet and a couple pages at a time on my little shredder is too aggravating.

If you hear something, give a heads up. I could call Kallos' office but I doubt anyone is there Saturday morning. Nope, nobody home.

Last edited by Kefir King; 08-25-2018 at 08:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2018, 08:59 AM

1,486 posts, read 989,013 times
Some Coops have shred day where the big trucks come and takes bins of stuff and shred them right there in the truck. I would reach out to friends who live in coops that have that service and see when the trucks are coming.

The other thing I can suggest is that if you work in an office that have shred bins like Iron Mountain you can bring your stuff in to work and toss them in the bins one day a t a time. I take this route on a monthly basis with junk mail.

Just providing some options incase you missed the window for the city trucks.

Old 08-25-2018, 09:46 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
We have a Fedders shredder in our office. I bring anything I have and shred it there. I may just buy one eventually but for now it's a waste because I don't get much mail since I pay everything online, thus less waste. The key thing is to shred regularly. Usually I need to shred once a week as office files are confidential so I shred my stuff with anything I need to shred in the office.

I see those big trucks around Midtown shredding huge amounts of paper. I don't just toss anything. I shred EVERYTHING. People are nosy and I don't want them in my personal business. We had a guy who would deal with recycling and garbage for the buildings. He would go through the garbage and pick out things that people had out. Well that's when I started taking extra measures. If you want to pick through garbage that I put out, you may be in for a surprise.

Old 08-25-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Has anyone heard about the City sending the tractor-trailer sized shredder around this Summer, like they did last?

I need to do a couple cubic feet and a couple pages at a time on my little shredder is too aggravating.

If you hear something, give a heads up. I could call Kallos' office but I doubt anyone is there Saturday morning. Nope, nobody home.
Call back on Monday. They usually have a truck that is by their office for that stuff. My elected official sent an email about it fact on Friday. Talk about timing...

Old 08-25-2018, 07:10 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
we have on company called 'Code Shred", its a hugs truch, they pull into our warehouse and we empty the archives, you know, all that paper than aint no one knows that it is, maybe except me, since I have been with the company since the day the first brick was laid.

But its a good thing, they come right to the compay and shred away....

kinda like those tree mulchers they have when they chop down trees...

Old 08-26-2018, 06:14 AM

The City shredders are cool. A hoist picks up your paper and dumps it on a conveyer belt that carries the waste into the grinders and you watch the whole process in real time on a small TV screen.

Since I am retired, I have no access to an office shredder.

The "few pieces at a time" is no good because my small shredder is kept high in my closet and it is a pain to go for it for only a few pages and then put it away again.

Jesus, I have every Verizon bill back to 2010 wasting space in my file drawer, and bank records even for banks that have gone belly up (WaMu, Wachovia, Banco Popular, Doral.) The Verizon bills can be tossed into recycle, but the banking stuff all has SS numbers.
Oy, and 40 years of medical history, every test. (Afraid to toss that out because my doctors have tossed out their files...only mine exist.)

I will count on Ben Kallos to help me tomorrow. (His office is in my building.)

Last edited by Kefir King; 08-26-2018 at 06:27 AM..

Old 08-26-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
The City shredders are cool. A hoist picks up your paper and dumps it on a conveyer belt that carries the waste into the grinders and you watch the whole process in real time on a small TV screen.

Since I am retired, I have no access to an office shredder.

The "few pieces at a time" is no good because my small shredder is kept high in my closet and it is a pain to go for it for only a few pages and then put it away again.

Jesus, I have every Verizon bill back to 2010 wasting space in my file drawer, and bank records even for banks that have gone belly up (WaMu, Wachovia, Banco Popular, Doral.) The Verizon bills can be tossed into recycle, but the banking stuff all has SS numbers.
Oy, and 40 years of medical history, every test. (Afraid to toss that out because my doctors have tossed out their files...only mine exist.)

I will count on Ben Kallos to help me tomorrow. (His office is in my building.)
Have you heard of electronic billing? I don’t keep any of my Verizon bills... For what? If a landlord needs something, that stuff is all available in your account online. Create a PDF file and include it via e-mail. Done. The older generation seems to have this obsession with having paper copies. Never understood it. For some things yes, but not for everything.

Old 08-26-2018, 12:27 PM

1,486 posts, read 989,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Have you heard of electronic billing? I don’t keep any of my Verizon bills... For what? If a landlord needs something, that stuff is all available in your account online. Create a PDF file and include it via e-mail. Done. The older generation seems to have this obsession with having paper copies. Never understood it. For some things yes, but not for everything.
Old people don't like change and tends to hoard paper lmao.

I remember my mom asked me to shred some stuff for me in the office. surely I stop by and she has chest of draws 6 high filled with paper. same like OP, bank accounts she closed years ago or no longer around, bills from Nynex and bell Atlantic, receipts and buyer protection plans from circuit city and the Wiz....SMH

Old 08-26-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
Old people don't like change and tends to hoard paper lmao.

I remember my mom asked me to shred some stuff for me in the office. surely I stop by and she has chest of draws 6 high filled with paper. same like OP, bank accounts she closed years ago or no longer around, bills from Nynex and bell Atlantic, receipts and buyer protection plans from circuit city and the Wiz....SMH
Ugh... Insanity... My rule of thumb is no more than two tiny boxes of papers... No bank statements or any of that. I keep tax filings for no more than five years as that is roughly how far the IRS will go back should they audit you, and as a each year goes by I shred one. Obviously things like your birth certificates, SS cards, etc are a must to keep. I keep rent statements for one year and paycheck stubs for a few years. Anything else that isn’t a must is all shredded and I mean everything. As I said earlier people are NOSY. Any receipts, even down to Metrocard slips are shredded. I keep those for tax filing purposes just in case I need them. Once that is done that is all shredded. I don’t just toss anything with my credit card on it, even if it just shows the last four numbers. Doesn’t make me a difference. Given that just about all mail is sent electronically this limits what needs to be shredded. I also shred any magazines I get from places like Design Within Reach, Williams & Sonoma etc. In short my papers take up a small area of my walk-in closet and that is it. I also keep some blank checks with no address on them which I need here and there, but that’s about it. I am a true minimalist and anything that can be kept electronically is really the way to go. If one is really nervous you can simply have back-ups in case the laptop crashes, but I am always thinking about keeping things small and light. It keeps my apartment looking nice and spacious.

Places like CVS allow you to get your receipts e-mailed to you which is what I do. It is linked to your CVS card, so I am in and out quickly. Whatever I buy I get the receipt in seconds via e-mail. No paper wasted which is what I prefer. Eco-friendly.

Old 08-26-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post

I pay Verizon electronically but I also get a printout later. They have tried to pull a couple fast ones in the past and now I don't trust them.

You don't want to hear about my past landlords. One chased me out of my building with a Colt 45...and not the Malt liquor.

Anything else that isn’t a must is all shredded and I mean everything

And that is precisely why I asked about a SHREDDER.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City