Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 09:23 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,283,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Yeah, if you have to ask, then that means they're already worried

Look, its the Bronx. Either toughen up or prepared to feel uncomfortable all the time.
I agree. I remember one time I was down in the South Bronx. Someone hurled something from a window I was walking by near some PJs on 161st. Could've been a kid but you never know. I'm always aware though when I'm out and about in such areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 11:05 AM

1,486 posts, read 988,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I agree. I remember one time I was down in the South Bronx. Someone hurled something from a window I was walking by near some PJs on 161st. Could've been a kid but you never know. I'm always aware though when I'm out and about in such areas.
LMAO, in the PJs they stay throwing used diapers out the window and period pads and that on a good day. I remember when they use to shoot BB guns out the window breaking car windows. D batteries, frozen eggs,

Old 08-27-2018, 12:54 PM

983 posts, read 931,354 times
I don't think anywhere in new york is very murdery anymore. However that area certainly won't be pleasant to live in even if you aren't a victim of crime

Old 08-27-2018, 01:54 PM

620 posts, read 1,072,763 times
I currently live in Fordam area but frequent the Morris Heights area ( very close). It is a low-income , mainly Dominican , Mexican, Black, Jamaican area. If you are working normal hours you should be fine , no worries. The crime usually happens with people that know each other and usually late at night. My favorite Jamaican & Mexican take outs are here. If you need a barber there are many .Not much in terms of outdoor dining but if its just work you are OK.

Old 08-27-2018, 02:12 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,474,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfizz View Post
I currently live in Fordam area but frequent the Morris Heights area ( very close). It is a low-income , mainly Dominican , Mexican, Black, Jamaican area. If you are working normal hours you should be fine , no worries. The crime usually happens with people that know each other and usually late at night. My favorite Jamaican & Mexican take outs are here. If you need a barber there are many .Not much in terms of outdoor dining but if its just work you are OK.
That sounds very similar to neighboring University Heights

Don't forget the PRs though, still plenty of them left

Old 08-27-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
That sounds very similar to neighboring University Heights

Don't forget the PRs though, still plenty of them left
More Dominicans now than anything in both Morris Height and University Heights. The Ricans that could get out left, trust me. University Heights is full of Dominicans. I find that the Dominicans in the Bronx are generally friendlier than the ones in Manhattan, for whatever reason. Not sure why.

Old 08-27-2018, 02:20 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,474,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
More Dominicans now than anything in both Morris Height and University Heights. The Ricans that could get out left, trust me. University Heights is full of Dominicans. I find that the Dominicans in the Bronx are generally friendlier than the ones in Manhattan, for whatever reason. Not sure why.
I know those neighborhoods to the West of the 4 train are predominately Dominican, but there are still a lot of Puerto Ricans. Way moe Puerto Ricans than Mexicans according to the census at least.

Old 08-27-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I know those neighborhoods to the West of the 4 train are predominately Dominican, but there are still a lot of Puerto Ricans. Way moe Puerto Ricans than Mexicans according to the census at least.
There are still some here and there, but I'd say that areas of the South Bronx have more than the West Bronx does. Don't forget about the Ricans that have moved up and branched out into more middle class parts of the Bronx like Pelham Bay. Castle Hill definitely has lots of Ricans.

Old 08-27-2018, 03:04 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
The crime isn’t going to be much of an issue if you’re just going there during business hours unless you’re driving, in which case you might want to find a parking garage with security.

You might also want to consider using Metro-North to get there if it’s closer to your place of work than the Jerome Avenue Line.

The Jerome Avenue rezoning probably means we’ll be seeing a very different Morris Heights in the coming years. I just hope the city has enough good sense to install ample
lighting underneath the tracks.

Old 08-27-2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The crime isn’t going to be much of an issue if you’re just going there during business hours unless you’re driving, in which case you might want to find a parking garage with security.

You might also want to consider using Metro-North to get there if it’s closer to your place of work than the Jerome Avenue Line.

The Jerome Avenue rezoning probably means we’ll be seeing a very different Morris Heights in the coming years. I just hope the city has enough good sense to install ample
lighting underneath the tracks.
That depends on where he is in Morris Heights. There is a Metro-North stop for Morris Heights, but it is literally right next to the Major Deegan Expressway. Either way if he's going into the neighborhood, he'll have to deal with those bloody hills that meander about. It's very urban there and a pain to reach. I would definitely drive if I had to go there and find parking somewhere safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City