Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 08:23 AM

1,121 posts, read 591,353 times

Advertisements

Due to the fact there is no window, I am going to have to call out some foul play on this rental.

When the building was constructed this room must have been meant as a janitors closet? I'm suspicious of this one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 08:26 AM

Again I am going to point out (early) that we are seeing more NYC rentals like this and in my opinion, this rental is on the cusp of (more common place) becoming a human rights issue.

Old 08-29-2018, 10:20 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by propman-nyc View Post
Again I am going to point out (early) that we are seeing more NYC rentals like this and in my opinion, this rental is on the cusp of (more common place) becoming a human rights issue.
It becoming Hong Kong

Old 08-29-2018, 10:54 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,358,943 times
How is this a legal rental with no windows? What if there's a fire? The linked article even alluded to the fact that it was not a legal apartment.

"The space lacks a lounging area, kitchen and windows - despite windows being a legal requirement in New York - but is complete with a door-less bathroom and a bed frame with a mini fridge stacked right on top."

Old 08-29-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
It becoming Hong Kong
Some people may balk at it when I say this is becoming a human rights issue, but it is better to have people standing up to the fact of it is currently, before it gets as bad as it is in HK.

Old 08-29-2018, 11:13 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by propman-nyc View Post
Some people may balk at it when I say this is becoming a human rights issue, but it is better to have people standing up to the fact of it is currently, before it gets as bad as it is in HK.
NYC has a history of people living in sub-par conditions. It's nothing new. Look at this article from 2013. The cheapest place to stay in all of New York City? Inside Chinatown's The Sun Bright Hotel | Daily Mail Online

I think the city should crack down on illegal living conditions. But if they do so, all those people living in them are going to be lined up to enter the shelter system. So it's a lose-lose.

Old 08-29-2018, 11:16 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
this is not an apartment, anyone that thinks it is, is wrong.
this should be a crime to even be advertised as an apartment.
this has set back living standards past the tenements of the lower east side.
actually, a call to the dept of building would take care of this.
please dont tell me that there would actually be someone willing to pay this to live (lol) there?

Old 08-29-2018, 11:46 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,935 times
#HowTheOtherSideLives

Old 08-29-2018, 11:54 AM

1,486 posts, read 989,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
How is this a legal rental with no windows? What if there's a fire? The linked article even alluded to the fact that it was not a legal apartment.

"The space lacks a lounging area, kitchen and windows - despite windows being a legal requirement in New York - but is complete with a door-less bathroom and a bed frame with a mini fridge stacked right on top."
Don't worry, once someone dies in one of these windowless apartments due to carbon monoxide poisoning they will start the legal proceedings on how "its inhumane and we need legislation to stop this and etc". In the meantime the landlord will make a killing off of other peoples misfortune and everyone will look the other way.

Old 08-29-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
NYC has a history of people living in sub-par conditions. It's nothing new. Look at this article from 2013. The cheapest place to stay in all of New York City? Inside Chinatown's The Sun Bright Hotel | Daily Mail Online

I think the city should crack down on illegal living conditions. But if they do so, all those people living in them are going to be lined up to enter the shelter system. So it's a lose-lose.
Henna we are living in a new era where bad business practices are no going to fly under the radar like they used to. Before the internet became this humungous and powerful, abusive small business owners were able to abuse their customers but today they just can not do it without people calling them out.

This rental ad is practically viral because it is at The Real Deal, Linked In, and City Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: