Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2008, 08:35 PM

8 posts, read 83,006 times

Advertisements

I moved into a brooklyn apartment over 2 years ago. I renewed my lease in Jan, 2008 for one year. The owner said due to a legal issue her brother has been awarded Adminstrator of the Estate. She will now be the property manager and will have no control over the estate. I have been informed I will need to sign a new lease with the payee being the adminstrator of the estate. When I asked will my lease be changed she said I'm not sure. Her brother asked her to complete a full report and will make a decision based on the info. The full report will include a property inspection, repair expenses, 3 estimates on current rental market, and a summary each tenant. I'm only been late once, but the rent is low. The rental is a 2 bedroom and 2 full baths with a deck. Currently I'm paying $350 below the market rental or maybe more. The landlord gave me a break because the kitchen wasn't insulated and we always have a problem with the pipes. Can they increase my rent with the new lease?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 10:35 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,945,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisNYC View Post
I moved into a brooklyn apartment over 2 years ago. I renewed my lease in Jan, 2008 for one year. The owner said due to a legal issue her brother has been awarded Adminstrator of the Estate. She will now be the property manager and will have no control over the estate. I have been informed I will need to sign a new lease with the payee being the adminstrator of the estate. When I asked will my lease be changed she said I'm not sure. Her brother asked her to complete a full report and will make a decision based on the info. The full report will include a property inspection, repair expenses, 3 estimates on current rental market, and a summary each tenant. I'm only been late once, but the rent is low. The rental is a 2 bedroom and 2 full baths with a deck. Currently I'm paying $350 below the market rental or maybe more. The landlord gave me a break because the kitchen wasn't insulated and we always have a problem with the pipes. Can they increase my rent with the new lease?
sounds like you need a lawyer, short answer is no, the lease is a contract and cannot be voided because the owner of the contract passed away, whomever assumes ownership has to abide by the contract. but you'll need a lawyer to press your point if your landlord tries to evict you

Old 04-02-2008, 01:09 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,479,379 times
Default No, they cant change the lease.

They have no authority to change the lease, unless stated on the lease.
Even if they sell the house (or building), the new owner can’t change the lease.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:41 PM

8 posts, read 19,474 times
They can't if they do, take em to court and check to see if there is rent control in that area

Old 04-03-2008, 12:32 AM

757 posts, read 3,356,366 times
There are no controls over an apartment in a two-family house. The building must have at least 12 units, IIRC, to be regulated.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:04 AM

8 posts, read 83,006 times
My lease is fine, and the lanlord doesn't want me out. Thanks for your advice, I truly appreciate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City