Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 03:11 PM

15,534 posts, read 15,555,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I’d like to see posters on the subway notifying riders not to give money to beggars or “musicians” or showtime guys, etc. but instead offer information about how to call the city to be referred to services. We see posters about everything else like not running on platforms and not manspreading so why not about this?
Henna, you always have just good perspective. I like this a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 03:32 PM

133 posts, read 129,924 times
I had a man stop me last night on my way home. He started with the story that he's not from around "here" and even showed me his North Carolina ID, proceeded to tell me that he was on his way to catch the chinatown bus and here I thought he was going to ask for directions (from Houston St) okay I was prepared to give him directions. And he mentions that people haven't been very nice. Guess he meant the ones he stopped? So I finally learn he's not looking for directions he's telling me he's $6.00 short and I told him I didn't have any cash on me. I don't always carry cash with me. The man screams loudly 'bullsh*t" I don't know if he really needed money for the bus but if he needed money he should have started with that and not spun a story I would have saved us both time. Guess he didn't believe me. I don't have a point to this story lol just wanted to say what happened last night.

Old 09-12-2018, 03:37 PM

11,195 posts, read 9,042,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbreadlove View Post
I had a man stop me last night on my way home. He started with the story that he's not from around "here" and even showed me his North Carolina ID, proceeded to tell me that he was on his way to catch the chinatown bus and here I thought he was going to ask for directions (from Houston St) okay I was prepared to give him directions. And he mentions that people haven't been very nice. Guess he meant the ones he stopped? So I finally learn he's not looking for directions he's telling me he's $6.00 short and I told him I didn't have any cash on me. I don't always carry cash with me. The man screams loudly 'bullsh*t" I don't know if he really needed money for the bus but if he needed money he should have started with that and not spun a story I would have saved us both time. Guess he didn't believe me. I don't have a point to this story lol just wanted to say what happened last night.
LOL. How come he didn't call his folks back in NC for some money? You can transfer money very easily now.

Old 09-12-2018, 04:23 PM

133 posts, read 129,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
LOL. How come he didn't call his folks back in NC for some money? You can transfer money very easily now.
No clue, most of the time I don't stop and it's not because I don't want to help people. I dislike people stopping me on the street (especially late at night) there's too much craziness happening everyday. I've been followed for blocks after being stopped by men to ask me questions. Sometimes I want to shout at the mean ones 'heck you might be better off than me! how bout you give me some cash?!'

Old 11-21-2020, 07:22 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,222,477 times
Can you spare some change? While holding the door to a fast food joint! Haha no.

Old 11-21-2020, 07:49 AM

5,620 posts, read 2,569,593 times
Of course social workers take the train. Seriously what kind of question is this.

Old 11-21-2020, 08:21 AM

8,923 posts, read 4,730,076 times
lol. I mistakenly read this as "Do you think social workers ride sideways". This is what happens when I start the day without any coffee.

Old 11-21-2020, 08:31 AM

5,620 posts, read 2,569,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
lol. I mistakenly read this as "Do you think social workers ride sideways". This is what happens when I start the day without any coffee.
It's okay there's another thread, which you actually started. And the title is "Protesters scuffle in Manhattan as SHSAT date remains unclear.

I read shsat as "shat"

Old 11-21-2020, 08:46 AM

7,898 posts, read 7,823,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I was wistfully wondering during a subway ride.

There was a young guy who sounded nice enough, saying that he had been living with his grandmother and going to school, but she died, and then his life apparently imploded and was politely asking for any money. Yes, I'm sure there are some people here who will automatically assume that he was a scammer. But there are in fact a lot of desperate people, some of whom are perfectly sane. I wished I had an information card to hand him, saying, Okay, kid, first set yourself up with a free counselor...

It would be nicer if there were people who could occasionally hand out useful information which would be better than spare change.

they don't get paid much, yes they do

Old 11-21-2020, 12:24 PM

3,114 posts, read 2,689,009 times
There are actually ads on the subway with referral information around the holidays. And there are outreach teams that work the subway--but I'd be concerned about contacting them, for fear that they'd bring a cop along and hurt someone.

I'm always courteous to any panhandler (for lack of a better word) who's courteous to me. That includes respecting that a woman's not going to want to engage closely with any strange guy late at night on the street, or with any man towering over her while she's seated on the subway. I've had very few problems--and, of the people who weren't obviously severely mentally ill, almost always with white men, which makes me laugh. You're out here essentially asking me to buy your drugs for you because you can't even keep it together to afford your own, but you're so engrained in your arrogant ways that you think I owe you not only politeness, but deference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: