Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2018, 01:23 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I'm very surprised that an apartment that has any modicum of desirability would just be sitting, available, for all this time while prospective leaseholder weighs her options. Aren't there other people in line to rent it? And if not, why not?
Henna I said the same thing in an earlier message. Op said that because its small, 5th floor walk up and without a stove its not as desirable. But I still think it is. A lot of people in Manhattan care more about the location then actual apartment. People take ****ty apts all the time for the location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 01:37 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Speaking of $1600, I actually found a few apartments listed for $1600 on the UWS. All studios of course, but a few of them didn't look that bad, though quite tiny.

The others weren't renovated.

Last edited by Yac; 11-27-2020 at 03:01 AM..

Old 09-11-2018, 02:38 PM

582 posts, read 763,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I'm very surprised that an apartment that has any modicum of desirability would just be sitting, available, for all this time while prospective leaseholder weighs her options. Aren't there other people in line to rent it? And if not, why not?
If you go back to my replies, I said that I put down a deposit. a good faith deposit to hold the apt and I put an application on the apt. the landlord and the broker have been requesting paperwork so I thought it would be a good chance to chat here and get people opinions on the stove and other things. So it is not like I am here chatting while the apt is on the market. I actually came to see it with my check ready in my purse and I gave it to the broker on the spot. I learnt from past mistakes that even a few hours would make a big difference.

Old 09-11-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Safina-
Let us know when you moved in and how you like things.
Good Luck with the move
thanks so much! I appreciate it!

Old 09-11-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Henna I said the same thing in an earlier message. Op said that because its small, 5th floor walk up and without a stove its not as desirable. But I still think it is. A lot of people in Manhattan care more about the location then actual apartment. People take ****ty apts all the time for the location.
I have seen a studio on west 71th street in a very prime location close to Broadway but it was so filthy and disguising. I couldn't take it. It smelled so bad. I was willing to spend some money to fix the bathroom but the bad smell in the entire apt scared me off.

Old 09-11-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I was just about to say

Somebody just send me a DM when she signs the lease
When I sign the lease, you all gonna miss my threads.

Old 09-11-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Speaking of $1600, I actually found a few apartments listed for $1600 on the UWS. All studios of course, but a few of them didn't look that bad, though quite tiny.

The others weren't renovated.
Thanks, PP. I have seen that one and believe me the pictures are misleading. that studio doesn't have that kitchen or that bathroom.

Last edited by Yac; 11-27-2020 at 03:01 AM..

Old 09-11-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safina1 View Post
I have seen a studio on west 71th street in a very prime location close to Broadway but it was so filthy and disguising. I couldn't take it. It smelled so bad. I was willing to spend some money to fix the bathroom but the bad smell in the entire apt scared me off.
How much did they want for it? A friend of mine is a broker on the UWS. He told me that my place would easily go for about $2300 on the UWS given that everything is new and the size of the studio with a balcony. I gladly save $700 a month...

Old 09-11-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
How much did they want for it? A friend of mine is a broker on the UWS. He told me that my place would easily go for about $2300 on the UWS given that everything is new and the size of the studio with a balcony. I gladly save $700 a month...
they were asking for $1600 and that includes all the utilities except A/C. It was a tempting offer but I couldn't take it.
you have a place on UWS? I thought you said you don't like UWS?
UWS is my number one neighborhood in Manhattan. UES to me is depressing. I don't know why.

Sorry. I think I misunderstood. you don't have a place on UWS but your friend says that your current studio would go for $2300 if it was on UWS?

Old 09-11-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safina1 View Post
they were asking for $1600 and that includes all the utilities except A/C. It was a tempting offer but I couldn't take it.
you have a place on UWS? I thought you said you don't like UWS?
UWS is my number one neighborhood in Manhattan. UES to me is depressing. I don't know why.
No, what I said was that a friend of mine is a broker on the UWS and that the apartment that I rent would go for $2300 if it were on the UWS. He saw photos of it, and that was more than 6 months ago.

I've actually seen a studio that was $2400 on the UWS and it still looked smaller than mine. Crazy... Some of them aren't even renovated that are north of $2100. Given the price points that I've seen, he seems to be right on the money. I just can't see myself paying that much in rent and getting so little. The other residence in Manhattan that I'm at is also north of $2000 but it is a large studio, relatively new construction (I believe around 2012 or so).

The UES is more old money and conservative which I prefer. It's a bit more buttoned up. The UWS is fine but a bit busier and dirtier in parts. Aside from 86th and parts of Lex, most of the UES is pretty clean.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 09-11-2018 at 03:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City